Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • SAS: Who Dares Wins – Channel 4
  • eoindickson
    Free Member

Quite enjoying this but I’ve not watched the previous series and I may have missed it if they mentioned it on this one but what is the prize for whoever wins ?

MrSparkle

I seem to remember a lady doctor doing very well in one of these programmes.

Back in the day (2004) the fearsome Wendy Dodds did very well in one series. She is a Doctor. And fell runner.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/make-no-bones-about-it-wendy-is-tough-1-1176729

P-Jay
    Free Member

Quite enjoying this but I’ve not watched the previous series and I may have missed it if they mentioned it on this one but what is the prize for whoever wins ?

A balaclava, Sub Machine-gun and immediate entry into the SAS no-questions-asked. Nah, they win a firm handshake and BFH.

Technically, it’s a ‘selection course’ supposedly like SAS selection so it’s not about beating the others to be the winner, it’s about passing the course. They could in theory all pass or all fail, but they do seem to push it into single or two ‘winners’. Actually now I think of it the winner(s), who look half dead by the end of it don’t even get BFH, they get a handshake or pat on the back from the DS and they get to jog into the distance with their backpacks on for the sake of drone footage. After all that I’d want a nice sit down, not a jog in the desert.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ant made a bit of a dick-move last night IMO.

He disliked 13 the moment he clapped eyes on her, but laughing in the face of that massive climb and forward descent seemed to be the final straw for him. I don’t recall any of them mentioning you had to complete each task with hardman scowl on your face at all times.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t take him seriously given how obvious his Grecian 20000 habit is.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ah, I remember the first series. One of my housemates at uni was a fell racer and had raced against her.

It came on, he announced “oh shit, it’s her, she’ll win it, she’s a **** machine”

And his was right.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I thought it was really odd that after all the previous footage of who was the weak links etc. when they finally came to chuck two out, one of them was someone who’s never been mentioned or shown to be struggling at any stage of the process. How odd was that?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs thought the same. Poorly edited. They didn’t even mention him in the clip when they short-listed people.

eoindickson
    Free Member

You don’t win anything ? I’m amazed they can find people prepared to volunteer.
    Agree with the comments on number 11 getting the boot. He hadn’t featured at all. Maybe we was a plant too to create some “suspense”.

somouk
    Free Member

I thought it was really odd that after all the previous footage of who was the weak links etc. when they finally came to chuck two out, one of them was someone who’s never been mentioned or shown to be struggling at any stage of the process. How odd was that?

Was a strange one, the person doesn’t appear in any of the edits or have any background. They most likely have no story or since leaving have a bad story that the show doesn’t want to associated with so they were given no air time.

taxi25
    Free Member

when they finally came to chuck two out, one of them was someone who’s never been mentioned or shown to be struggling at any stage of the process. How odd was that?

Its a TV show, they probably come across as boring so don’t make the edits and are moved on ASAP.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s as fake as the Bear Grylls shows and all the others where people do outdoor stuff. Watched 20 minutes last night and gave up as I hurt my ribs laughing.

701arvn
    Free Member

Literally laughed out loud at this quote from Ant Middleton; “Fighting wars is not a laughing matter. When you let an ounce of normal in, you’re going to find yourself dead or your pals dead.”

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I think the viewers ought to know what No 11 did.

Or rather who…?

Kryton57

globalti – Member
    It’s as fake as the Bear Grylls shows and all the others where people do outdoor stuff. Watched 20 minutes last night and gave up as I hurt my ribs laughing.

Give it a go then, you’re quite right the don’t look like they are doing any work at all…

rene59
    Free Member

Nice to see equal rights (and lefts) in the boxing match.

funkmasterp

I get shin splints running up stairs. Is there a TA version I can apply for abc fail?

matt_outandabout

globalti – Member

Do go and watch the Ant Middleton programme where he climbs Everest – and gets stuck in -30 the wrong side of the Hillary Step with folk hanging off the rope dying in front of him. You do see that he is a family man, pretty understated at times (“I consider myself someone who is reasonably capable…”) and also frightened like the rest of us…

Rich_s

There was a bit too much cuddling going on last night too. Maybe the edit focuses on that, but it wasn’t in previous years.

Rockape63
    Free Member
    Rockape63
    Free Member

looks like he might have looking to use this TV challenge as a publicity vehicle for a film he was starring in.

DavidB
    Free Member

Do go and watch the Ant Middleton programme where he climbs Everest – and gets stuck in -30 the wrong side of the Hillary Step with folk hanging off the rope dying in front of him.

The one where he used fixed ropes and oxygen like all the tourist climbers and cried his little eyes out when he nearly died. He was guided most of the way up that hill and was bloody lucky to make it to camp for being a fool and staying on top too long. Made me wonder if he’d really done more than a week in the SAS.

somouk
    Free Member

The one where he used fixed ropes and oxygen like all the tourist climbers and cried his little eyes out when he nearly died. He was guided most of the way up that hill and was bloody lucky to make it to camp for being a fool and staying on top too long. Made me wonder if he’d really done more than a week in the SAS.

Calm down superman, your misses fancy him and hit a nerve or something.

Yes he was guided, would be mad not to, same as using the fixed ropes. And I think I’d probably shed a tear if I was under the mental and physical stress that they were, nowt wrong with that.

muddy@rseguy

I’m just wondering where Rory McGrath, Tony Robinson and the other two have got to

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Made me wonder if he’d really done more than a week in the SAS.

He hasn’t, he was SBS.

DavidB
    Free Member

Calm down superman, your misses fancy him and hit a nerve or something.

Yes he was guided, would be mad not to, same as using the fixed ropes.

She prefers women. And I thought the leet SAS ran up Everest twice before a breakfast of crude oil? Many many many much harder men and women have done it without the help of 30 sherpas and a highly paid annoying git.

Kryton57

Middleton joined the army in 1997 at the age of 16 where he served in the 9 Parachute Squadron RE and served tours of duty in Northern Ireland and Macedonia. After leaving the army he later re-enlisted in the Royal Marines in 2001 and did a tour in Afghanistan, and then in 2008 joined the Special Boat Service, serving for four years as a point man and sniper. Due to the title of the show SAS: Who Dares Wins, it is often erroneously assumed that Middleton served in the Special Air Service.

Yeah a right pussy. Maybe you and he should spend 5 minutes in a lift having a chat about it and see who walks out first.

DavidB
    Free Member

I’d be out first unless he had a guide.

I’m sure he’s normally well hard but on Everest he was reduced to tourist level. But so was Grylls.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

More tv editing? shame it wasn’t mentioned, it show how tough it is and how much they push themselves.

Laura Bird
    20 January at 21:45
    I need to clear a few things up here that Channel 4 failed to mention….

2 hours after I handed my number in, I was AIR LIFTED to Santiago hospital with acute appendicitis. Once I got to the hospital, I had emergency surgery to have my appendix removed. Had I have carried on and not handed my number in, my appendix would have almost definitley burst. And I would have definitely come pretty close to being in a box in the ground.

I didn’t hand my number in because I couldn’t hack it. I didn’t hand my number in because I was giving up. I didn’t hand my number in because I wasn’t good enough. I didn’t hand my number in because I wanted to stop or couldn’t tolerate any more. I handed it in because I was physically unable to continue. I handed it in because I was in too much pain to stand up or walk…(appendicitis feels like Anthony Joshua is kicking you in ribs. Repeatedly. Whilst on your period).

The whole point of going on this adventure (apart from getting to meet Foxy – obviously) was to see just how far I could go. Just how far I was physically and psychologically able to go. But also, to try and act as some sort of role model. To try and ensure my story acts as some sort of inspiration to ANYONE who may be struggling with their mental health. Everyone is fighting their own battle. You CAN get better if you want to.

So, please share this. Share the shit out of it. Not just for the sake of my own dignity and pride, but for ANYONE you may know that might need a bit of a kick up the arse when it comes to helping themselves. ANYONE who needs to realise that THEY ARE ENOUGH.

Channel 4 also forgot to mention that number 20 is an international level boxer, who, with that in mind – should have probably chosen a slightly more challenging opponent. Think I stood my ground pretty well all things considered.

Thank you to the 24 other remarkable individuals I was so privileged to share this experience with.

Thank you so much to my wonderful partner and my incredible friends (you know who you are) who were there for me for every second of this experience (even when they were not in the same continent at times). I love you all unconditionally ❤️

rene59
    Free Member

What do these people expect to happen when they go on a show like this? Let’s face it there is a premade story board/script for what they want the show to look like and what direction it follows before they have even started filming. Everything that doesn’t fit that story board gets cut or manipulated so it does fit. Hardly a new concept.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A chap from a health club near us is/was on it.
    He was the one that left when the ‘mole’ packed it in during the last program. The organisers were very surprised as he was regarded as a front runner (hence why he had hardly featured at all so far – they’re only interested in the ones that are struggling) – but he’d failed to tell them that his wife was expecting a baby which was due just before the filming started but it was late.
    He decided to take part anyway but couldn’t cope with not knowing what was going on back home – so he walked.
    You would have thought that Laura ^ might have said something to the doc about the pain she was in.

rene59
    Free Member

hence why he had hardly featured at all so far – they’re only interested in the ones that are struggling

It looks like there are only 4 episodes and since we have had 3 so far that doesn’t make sense. That midwife has featured heavily and has been on the promotional tour for tv etc. The front runners (as far as the broadcast goes) won’t be left to the last episode. No one will give a shit about them then.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Missed all this until now.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but, this is like one of those corporate team building events, albeit a lot colder and with more shouty instructors and less sleep?

sharkbait
    Free Member

No idea Rene…. just reporting what my SIL said, and she knows the guy.

Midwife is fit and gets cold – which is why she’s featuring 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

Midwife is fit and gets cold – which is why she’s featuring

and why I’m watching!

somouk
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but, this is like one of those corporate team building events, albeit a lot colder and with more shouty instructors and less sleep?

Yeah, basically.

Has anyone watched the american version of this? It’s called ‘The Selection USA’ I would highly recommend a watch if you fancy a cringe, see if you can match the US guys up with who they are meant to be in the UK verison.
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-selection-usa

alric
    Free Member

I would watch it, but it wont let me, says adblocker enabled, so no SAS for me

701arvn
    Free Member

Just read Laura’s letter and I’m a bit worried not just that this show might be taking liberties with the truth, but that all TV might be not true either, please reassure me she has it wrong and she is trying to manipulate us. After all if TV shows are just manipulating the truth in the name of entertainment it would mean it’s all worthless trash and not worth watching!

Not too fussed about who cares who wins, but this has ruined Love Island for me.

Seriously though, given we all know this and are willingly suspending our disbelief, does it matter? OK this programme purports to be a documentary of some kind, is that the issue?

Kryton57

Midwife is fit and gets cold – which is why she’s featuring

Louise. Just sayin’

natrix
    Free Member

Haven’t watched any of this series so far but the delctable Victoria Pendleton is in the celebrity version showing later in the year 💅🏻 💅🏻 💅🏻

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘SAS: Who Dares Wins – Channel 4’ is closed to new replies.