Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • SAS: Who Dares Wins – Channel 4
  • mrprops
    Free Member

Couldn’t see a thread on this from last night. Anyone see it? It has women in this year, ooh controversial!

binners

We watched it last night. Three people dropped out almost immediately, one before even doing anything, apparently because he didn’t have his own ensuite bathroom facilities.

Which always begs the obvious question; did you actually watch this programme before you signed up for it? Did you somehow get confused and mistake it for X Factor or something?

somouk
    Free Member

Always liked these series, should be interesting with them working at altitude and in the cold, tough conditions.

Having the women involved will be interesting as well, gives a whole other dynamic to the groups.

euans2
    Free Member

I think some of the candidates need to give their heads a wobble! Leaving soaking wet undearwear on in those conditions is a death sentence!

mickmcd
    Free Member

We watched it last night. Three people dropped out almost immediately, one before even doing anything, apparently because he didn’t have his own ensuite bathroom facilities.

he signed up for the army today as they need ……ah leave it

bukobuko
    Free Member

Love the program, more so now the women have been allowed for selection, I think there’s something to learn from people in the program from their hardships in life no matter how big or small.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just started watching it, I’ll be amazed if the women can handle the physical requirements….but hope they do.

Kryton57

didn’t have his own ensuite bathroom facilities.

Lets be fair to the guy – he quit because his religious beliefs meant more to him than the experience awaiting him. Sharing his toilet habits with a member of his opposite sex is against his translation of his religious moral code.

He may or may not have used this excuse to “wimp out” which is the implication here but perhaps give the guy a fair hearing before labelling him. After all, sticking to his morals is a mental strength by itself.

Just started watching it, I’ll be amazed if the women can handle the physical requirements….but hope they do.

I love the fact they’ve planted a female member of the Swedish Special Forces in the group as a comparison/fairer judgement.

sands
    Free Member

Although not a ‘contestant’ show – another 3-programme series is starting on ITV Thursday 10 Jan 9:00pm
    ‘The Paras: Men of War’
    “Documentary following the 28-week training course for the parachute regiment.”

binners

He may or may not have used this excuse to “wimp out” which is the implication here but perhaps give the guy a fair hearing before labelling him. After all, sticking to his morals is a mental strength by itself.

But he must have been fully aware of his morals before-hand? What on earth did he expect? Thats the point I’m making. Have some of them never watched it before applying? I don’t believe for a minute that he went out there with the impression it’d be much different from that? He’d surely have been fully informed about the whole situation with women contestents this year? And that they’d all be in there together?

Looked to me like a handy ‘get out’ clause, and he’s arrived and thought ‘what the hell have I let myself in for here?’

I loved the Swedish special forces woman too. Nice touch! As she’s no doubt harder than 99.999999999999999999% of blokes on the planet

spawnofyorkshire

He’d surely have been fully informed about the whole situation with women contestents this year? And that they’d all be in there together?

I doubt it, probably first time he knew was on the plane/bus when he met the other contestants

Although the easy get out is just as much on the cards in that situation too

matt_outandabout

I find it fascinating how many are properly fit – but gym fit it seems.

Those that succeed are in a place mentally push, but also seem to understand the challenges they will face require thought, organisation and team effort, not bronzer and 10reps in front of the mirror… 😉

binners

Yeah, its interesting that all the instructers were unanimous in their opinion that the fireman is the odds on favourite, yet I don’t think we’ve heard him speak. Whereas the gym bunny’s are all happily going on about how hard and strong they are, shortly before they leave in tears.

Its a great programme. You’d have to be out of your mind to go anywhere near any of those blokes shouting at you. Makes you realise how absolutely nails they really are that all the stuff they have them doing just seems to be another day at the office for them

Klunk
    Free Member

Its a great programme. You’d have to be out of your mind to go anywhere near any of those blokes shouting at you. Makes you realise how absolutely nails they really are that all the stuff they have them doing just seems to be another day at the office for them

I sat in on the ergo “eliminators” for the oxford boat race team once, they had to bury themselves while a ex east german coach yelled expletives in they’re faces from an inch away. It was quite a eye opener to see someone “blow up” so badly they couldn’t even walk.

mikey3
    Free Member

I can never decide which of my favourite tank pics to masterbate over as I watch,then I go to work and tell everyone that I could have joined the S.A.S.,was personally asked actually,but those damn fallen arches stopped me being a modern day killing machine.But I console myself by being an extreme mountain biker and I ravenously by my carbon bike and my garmin and the newest seatpost/chainset/wheels money can buy,but then they just sit in the garage,unmoving,limp like my dick until I get to see the panzer 111 and I feel like a modern cutting edge important man again,out of way i must make progress.

spawnofyorkshire

@mikey3
    Just remember that the boathouse at Hereford is green

scuttler

Haven’t seen it yet but formula for TV elimination shows is to have people bail for all sorts of reasons some lasting five mins and others going the distance with everything in between including (ideally) the unexpected. It would be dull if they were all actually elite triathlon kickboxing ninjas with only marginal differences.

matt_outandabout

Step away from the computer mikey3….

matt_outandabout

I used to work for an organisation led by ex special forces.

We were setting up some corporate team work challenges, and I was struggling to climb about 12-15′ up a tree to attach a rope. One of the guys offered me a stand on his shoulders. I’m 6′ and 14st – he just cold stood up with me on shoulders…. Then ran back from Borrowdale to Keswick because he ‘needed the air’, in walking boots…

Same chap a day later at midnight managed to get within 10m of me in a pitch black, steep forest side in which I was hiding… He let me know he was there by flashing his watch light at me…
    Amazing skills and physicality in which he took great satisfaction from practicing and maintaining, and still does, even at retirement age…

DezB
    Free Member

he just cold stood up with me on shoulders…. Then ran back from Borrowdale to Keswick

How did you maintain your balance?

Rich_s

How did you maintain your balance?

You owe me a new cup of tea! Proper lols

binners

He’s a very experienced unicyclist

globalti
    Free Member

A pal of ours is a coded welder and was on a rig when a mock hijack was staged as an exercise by the SAS. They were told to carry on as usual. He went to the galley to make a brew and a bloke appeared, dressed in black, aimed a gun at his head and just said “Bang”. No drama.

MrSparkle

I must be a bit thick as I don’t understand that story. Sorry.

kcr
    Free Member

a bloke appeared, dressed in black, aimed a gun at his head and just said “Bang”

I don’t know much about guns, but people who work with them are usually completely anal about not pointing them at people unnecessarily, loaded or unloaded. So either that story had been embellished, or the SAS bloke was a cowboy. Sure it wasn’t Sean Bean?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I used to work for an organisation led by ex special forces.

Had they been sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Could it have been Super Army Soldier Ross Kemp?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Is this different to SAS are you tough enough? Our friend Annie was in the first series and I think might even have got to the final although Wikipedia says otherwise.

mrprops
    Free Member

It is a different show, although almost identical in format. Are you tough enough was on BBC and presented by Dermot O’Leary, according to Wiki.

scuttler

Oil rig thing is definitely true as I’ve seen the documentary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sea_Hijack

DezB
    Free Member

So either that story had been embellished, or the SAS bloke was a cowboy

Maybe he didn’t say bang…

Rockape63
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have got past the cold water test…..I **** hate cold water!

Of course seeing as the latest batch of contestants would all have seen the mind games inflicted in previous years, the Staff have to come up with new ways of doing their heads in. It used to be run to the top of that mountain and back and then we’ll tell you the next checkpoint……only to be told the next checkpoint is back to the top of the mountain. 🙂

MSP

There is a certain amount of myth to the SAS status, they are part reality and a whole lot of fiction. The reality part can go cowboy just like any other squadies.

Kryton57

There is a certain amount of myth to the SAS status, they are part reality and a whole lot of fiction. The reality part can go cowboy just like any other squadies.

Of course there is. While I’m sure they are a special breed of hard as nails heroic people, to not have a myth that makes people piss their pants when they hear the SAS are coming rather defeats the object…

matt_outandabout

Had they been sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit?

No, but the youngsters we worked with were likely to end up in jail, for crimes they did commit…

alanl
    Free Member

“Is this different to SAS are you tough enough? Our friend Annie was in the first series and I think might even have got to the final although Wikipedia says otherwise.”

IIRC, it was series 2 that a Lady got to the final, at the time she was a member of our MTB Club, cant remember her name now, but I think she worked for High 5, lived in the Derby area. She jointly won it if my old memory has got it right. She clearly had great determination and mental toughness, but she was a crap MTB racer!

CheesybeanZ

^^ I seem to remember a lady doctor doing very well in one of these programmes.

pondo

^^^ I thought she won it, and fair play to her! Determination takes you so far, gotta have the physical nous and bigger mental cajones than anyone else who can match you physically.

Enjoyed the first SAS:WDW – not a big fan of the bearded nonce shouting at birds, but kind of understand why he done it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

spawnofyorkshire

Subscriber

@mikey3

Just remember that the boathouse at Hereford is green

I think you’ll find it’s pronounced…”Heer-ford” ;o)

jonba
    Free Member

I do quite like this program. With the guy who left early on you’ve got to remember that the program is edited to be dramatic. Bit like the woman who was always crying. Probably not the case but that was the footage they chose.

It does amaze me that people don’t watch the previous series and do a bit of research. Someone mentioned it above but they do all seem to be gym bunnies. If I was going to go on the show I’d have spent my time doing a lot of running and marching carrying heavy stuff – becuase that is the bulk of the work. I do hope some of the women make it through. The problem is that the tough part at the start is strength and stamina. It is towards the end where the mental side comes in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘SAS: Who Dares Wins – Channel 4’ is closed to new replies.