Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Saris Bones Rack – BMW 5 Touring ?
  • gingerman69

Addition of a large black furry labrador means the bike had lost its boot space in the back of my 5 series touring. Use it for a lot of distance miles so don’t want the roof rack on all the time but thinking a boot mounted carrier like Saris Bones would give me flexibility for short local bike runs.

Does anyone have experience of using the Saris 1 or saris bones II with a 5 series touring please?

Thanks !

trap6
    Free Member

I’ve a 3 series touring and the saris 2 doesn’t work,rear window at wrong angle for the feet too seat correctly,I’ve a roof rack/bike much easier ime.

timmys

I lasted one instance of strapping one of those buggers on for “short local bike runs” before ditching it and getting a roof rack.

If you like your bike you’ll spend 20 mins convincing yourself a boot strapped rack is set up right and nothing is rubbing, versus 30 seconds putting a bike in a decent roof carrier.

If your worry about about mileage with the roof rack on is fuel consumption based I’d say it only makes a noticeable difference when the bike is actually on. If it is wind-noise related, I find I only have every heard it with square roof bars.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Will the Saris play nice with your frame?

alanf
    Free Member

You wont be able to use the opening rear glass on the tailgate!
    Get a towbar.

Garry_Lager

I just used one of these short term between getting a tow bar fitted to a new car. They are impressively stable, so no worries with safety. They’re fiddly, though, and the one I was using would scratch fk out of the motor long term [although was good with the bikes, good mounts]. Wouldn’t say it was a good option if you care about the appearance of your car, but would be fine otherwise if you didn’t want to spring for a tow bar.

gingerman69

thanks all – sounds like a no for the boot – may look at getting some better roof bars that are easier to put on / off and more ‘whispery’……

iainc

I had a 5 Tourer and it had 3 Thule 591s on Wingbars for every one of the 80k miles I did in it over 4 years. Never took them off apart from an annual grease and lube. Never really noticed the noise and fuel economy was ok (though I didn’t have a non bar comparison)

hanchurch
    Free Member

I had one that I used on my last cat but straps scratch the paintwork and I never really trusted it either, I would go roof mounted and take the rack off when not using it.

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

Or invest in a towbar system.
    as I suspect you won’t remove all the bits and then pay the same money at the pump for a less accessible system.
    bike racks for cars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones Rack – BMW 5 Touring ?’ is closed to new replies.