Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sanderson Breath vs Sanderson Life (Cr Mo vs 853)
  • StirlingCrispin

Thinking hard about getting myself a Sanderson frame.

The Life is 853 while the Breath is CrMo and £150 cheaper.

Does anyone have any real world experience of these metals/frames – do I deserve 853 or will I just be paying for a nice-looking sticker?

Cheers!

jim_1980
    Free Member

id be keen to see peoples views about this as i was going to get the Breath frame.
    Opted for a Pipedream Sirius in the end as i got a good deal second hand(which was brand new)

tinsy
    Free Member

Isnt the big difference in weight between the 2?

hora
    Free Member

I looked into this- its 1lb diff?

Plus- I DONT KNOW GUESSING – is 853 a stiffer ride?

Kahurangi

Less steel = less stiffness.

Of general use to MTB's, the grade of steel gives some indication of the yield strength of the material. If a steel can be loaded higher without failing, you can use less steel. This gives less weight and less stiffness.

hora
    Free Member

Ah got it.

alpin
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I looked into this- its 1lb diff?

brilliant. how hard did you look? or did you just guess and make it up?

this is from the Sanderson website:

TECHNICAL INFO

Model – Breath
    Material – Double butted Cro-mo
    Size options – 16/18/20 inch
    Color – Light Grey
    Weight – 4.8lbs (18 inch)

TECHNICAL INFO

Model – Life
    Material – Reynolds 853
    Size options – 16/18/20 inches
    Color – Dark Grey
    Weight – 4.6lbs (18 inch)

i too would be interested in a direct comparison between the two frames.

i've a Breath and can't really fault it for 'aggressive' XC, riding up alps, looning it around.

can/does take a fair amount of abuse (although it's just reminded me i have to true up the back wheel after last night).

hora
    Free Member

alpin tsk tsk I wrote '1LB question mark!'

alpin
    Free Member

oh. sorry. your coded txt speak….

thought you were trying to type 'difference' but lost somewhere on the keyboard.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I have had 853 frames and standard steel frames. not Sanderson but I can tell you that there was nowt in it what so ever! Get the cheaper one IMO. Money better spend on a better fork, tyres, or wheels, saddle. These things I have noticed a great deal between them. You could get a much better fork with an extra 150 quid. I bet you would notice in an instant the ride quality on a fork.

alpin
    Free Member

i too have an 853 frame (alpine) and feel it is a lot harsher than the Sanderson, but a direct comparison isn't fair seeing as they are completely different frames.

cove123

any veiws on the Soloist

sorry if this hijacks the orginal post!

alpin
    Free Member

i would think the ride was very much like that of the Breath as they have the same geometry and are both cro-mo.

if that is the case then i'd recommend one. great frames.

boxelder

I'll doubtless be ridiculed for this, but my 'Life' is the 6th steel frame I've had (all kept for at least 2 yrs. Two have been 853 (other was an Explosif). The Explosif was definately the best I'd had – replaced a heat treated Gary Fisher X-Caliber. When the Explosif broke (my fault) I got the newer version (oxi something?) – it wasn't as nice (same size and geometry). Replaced after 2 yrs with the 'Life' – best yet. Light but not skittish downhill. Climbs really well but is all day comfortable. Hard to describe, but you don't really notice it when riding! Put it this way I've never blamed the bike for failing to ride something.
    If you've not had many HT's – steel or not – you'll probably not know the difference. Would I tell in a 'blind test'? dunno.
    Not parting with it any time soon though.
    The Breath is a nicer colour!

ricksternicolai
    Free Member

I have a sanderson life 18'' for sale if anyone is interested

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sanderson Breath vs Sanderson Life (Cr Mo vs 853)’ is closed to new replies.