Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Samoens guide in July
  • raincloud
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a guide in Samoens in early July would be gratefully received.

Very familiar with Portes de soleil region but for some reason have never ventured over to Samoens. Would like to not have a wasted day looking for the good tracks. Would like to ride some of the EWS stuff and from what Ive researched some of the sneaky techy off piste stuff. There would be four of us (if that matters?)

Cheers

Akers

Are you looking for just a guide, or a full holiday package? if the latter, Bike-Alp seem to get good reviews.

Edit: Scratch that they’ve relocated to Briancon!

raincloud
    Free Member

Just a guide. Will be camping in les gets.

dozofoz
    Free Member

Try the guys (Thomas and Bertrand) at Mountain Spirit. Used them for a few years now. Great guys.

PM me if you want their number and i’ll see if I can get a wee discount. Also if you need accom I have an apartment nearby.

Scratch that – you camping

Doz

chris36860
    Free Member

Unfortunately as said above, Steve and Bike-Alps have relocated. Try Jamie at ridethealps. He doesn’t live in the village, but does all his guiding in and around Samoens. Lifts don’t open until the 2nd weekend in July tho. The bike shop opposite the lift station on the round about will be happy to mark trails on a map for you and they speak English. The main trails are marked ish, but the best is off piste local built trails.

The EWS trail is amazing. Bike-alp knew they guys who dug it and we were able to ride it 3 days before the race.

moonboy
    Free Member

Wayne knows the area https://www.chamonixmtb.com

chaos

Sorry for the hijack, but what’s Samoens like for kids (7 & 11) in the summer? I’ve enjoyed skiing there with them but would love to go back and see what it’s like in the sun. I expect I wouldn’t get a lot of riding in but happy just to get a day or two in.

dozofoz
    Free Member

@choas – I am in Samoëns right now and it feels like summer. Although glorious sunshine it’s too warm for mid Feb.

Anyway I might be biased but Samoëns is almost better in summer. Absolutely loads to do with kids. I have two the same age as yours. For the riding the Samoëns official vtt trails are too tough for these ages so we stick to the valley floor with plenty of trails along the river. There are various shuttles that run up to Les Gets (15min) if you want a bike park. For yourself you can get the 2 or 3 main marked trails (rooty and natural) done in a morning using the Grand Massif Express telecabine. Plenty more unmarked but you probably want a guide (or at least a riding buddy).

Aside from the biking I would recommend fat scooters at Morillon for a half day. White water rafting and swimming in the various lakes are my kids favourite.

If the weather is good you won’t be disappointed.

Doz

raincloud
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like lifts are not open when we are there. Leaving on 28th June – 4th July.

Will have to leave it for another time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Samoens guide in July’ is closed to new replies.