Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Salomon running shoes – known to be weak ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

got a pair of Salomon XCR comp(i think) running shoes

havnt seen too much action in the last year(less than 25 miles) – but recently ive been running alot as away from bikes

didnt last very long – admittedly it is very humid and hot here BUT

they have fancy da lace system which goes through nylon eyelets – 2 of these have burst so wasnt supporting too well, and the point on the foot where the shoe bends , all the mesh outer has burst here leaving my socks peaking out. I have repaired them as i am enjoying my running and they are the only shoes i have with me (and chances of getting another pair are slim)

PRetty dissapointed with what was a 75 quid pair of shoes – out of warrenty now due to age but have covered at best 50-60 miles

Does running forefoot eat shoes up harder than heel stike – i have changed to running forefoot since i took up running again ! Do i need specific shoes for forefoot ?

They were comfy though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Does running forefoot eat shoes up harder than heel stike

No.

– i have changed to running forefoot since i took up running again ! Do i need specific shoes for forefoot ?

No.

HTH 8)

broadbean
    Free Member

got a pair of XT wings that i've had awhile. done well over a hundred miles, i reckon. they have a similar lacing system, but this is still working fine. i guess with the stresses being applied to the eyelets, its just a matter of time before they start popping though! i have some inov8's as well, and although i use both shoes, i prefer the fit of the salomons, because of the lacing system. can't quite get the same fit with the normal laces on the inov8's. both shoes are great though.

i'm a forefoot runner too, and i don't have any specific shoes (do they exist?). i run on road with nike free's, which i find to be fine as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

newton , vibram 5 fingers and inov8 all say designed for forefoot.

ill probably just pop into run4it in aberdeen when im home

for now the wonders of duct tape and string 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

I liked mine, until the mesh disintegrated and the lacing 'system' fell to bits.

they were a bit rubbish after that. I still use them though occasionally.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

had some and the lacing system went on mine too! apparently you can take them back to the store and they'll send them off to be fixed but i couldn't find the receipt.

i replaced them with some 25 decathlon jobs with normal laces and they've been much better.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My wife has a pair she uses for work and she loves them.

Personally for running I would use a traditional running shoe brand, but for messing around in, general walking I dont think you can beat Salamon shoes, Ive got some that are 15 years old and still going strong.

Since when did running become so technical? Decent runners I know just run and dont worry about whether their toes or heals strike first…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Decent runners I know just run and dont worry about whether their toes or heals strike first…

might be what they tell you. running seems to be just a geeky as this place

its much like biking – you have the gifted guys who just run and are fast – the rest of us have to work hard at it and take any advantage given to us by technique – since changing to forefoot my body takes less pounding on the joints and i dont get sore hips and knees so thus can go for longer and recover quicker !

IainGillam
    Free Member

I use a set of Salomons for mild off road running (use sauconys for all on road and racing) and the new ones don't seam to be as well put together as older models. I had to fix the heal cup with duct tape as it soon developed holes in and the lacing system isn't looking too good. However I wear them as casual shoes a fair bit as well and have worn them alot over the past year so I would say for the ammount you have used them that's quite unusual. Are you using them for on road or off road? Newtons are supposed to be good for forfoot strikers and for reall off road innov seam to get good reviews. Most decent runners I have yet to find a "decent" runner who isn't concerned about running style, shoes etc.

Iain

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

I've found 'modern' (had a pair of those grey/ blue/ yellow ones that were great!) salomons to be a bit feeble when trail/ fell running, using Montrail (highlanders?) now for fell and usual Asics for trail and road. I think for anything genuinely off road/ track newtons etc are a bit weedy. If it's not full on fell then something light but tough, (Inov-8's, La Sportiva Crosslites, Walsh's new trail shoes) would be a good choice as their midsoles are a bit thinner than full road shoes but still quite supportive.

Forefoot running doesn't do anything mad to your shoes I don't think, if anything I think people run a bit lighter like this (heel striker and proud!).

I want a pair of the laSportiva Crosslites now….

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Shoes are so yesterday… I'd have thought all you 'working hard at it' types would have gone barefoot by now 😉

staralfur
    Free Member

Has it not been proven now anyway that running shoes actually have no real benefit over most trainers?

IainGillam
    Free Member

There is quite a bit of debate that barefoot is better because trainers actually cause injuries. However, I'm faster in shoes so going barefoot has no attraction to me. If you run for enjoyment then it might be worth looking at, but it seams to me akin to riding a ridgid mtb. The experience might be more pure, but at the pointy end of races they are riding with suspension.

Iain

hels
    Free Member

I would be wary of running on knacked shoes. I put off buying new shoes for ages and ended up with a hip injury. Took ages to clear even with new shoes, had to run myself in, so to speak. False economy…

Jamie
    Free Member

There is quite a bit of debate that barefoot is better because trainers actually cause injuries. However, I'm faster in shoes so going barefoot has no attraction to me. If you run for enjoyment then it might be worth looking a……

Iain

What Iain said, plus i mostly run off road so need my feet protecting…..now if only I had something for my legs this morning….

…damn thorn bushes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I would be wary of running on knacked shoes. I put off buying new shoes for ages and ended up with a hip injury. Took ages to clear even with new shoes, had to run myself in, so to speak. False economy…

they have been repaired with a rivit gun and a boot lace so they are a tight fit !

i have 4 weeks till i can get shoes !

NZCol

Yep they all do that – at my front door i probably have about 15 pairs of Salomons – the joy of being sponsored ! I'm lucky in that they fit me bue they do tend to blow the stitching on the flex point and the lace system sometimes dies horribly (i've got 3-4 pairs with ripped out eyelets). Saying that, the new SpeedCross is a fantastic shoe and has lastest the longest of any Salomon i've ever had (mostly XA Pros and Wings non goretex). I like then but then i have to 🙂 Have also used Vasque (good but too wide for me), Montrail (good solid trekkng shoe but too wide), Inov8 (my 2 pairs fell apart – one lasted a 7hr bush bash and was binned at the end).

BadlyWiredDog

Inov-8 have a new shoe due out next spring which doesn't really have a mid-sole, just an aggressive outsole and minimal footbed. The idea is that they give the pluses of barefoot running but with trail shoe type underfoot grip and protection against rocks etc. They look interesting.

My XA Pros have been fine, but I don't use them often and the outsole grip isn't great on softer ground ime.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I run off road every other day when not on the bike. Cant fault Salomon xa pro or wings….last for ages and get a proper pounding in the worst Scottish filth. I would recommend either

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Salomon running shoes – known to be weak ?’ is closed to new replies.