Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Salary question
  • tyger
    Free Member

Back in March 2009 I was made redundant and having never experienced it before it came as quite a shock (not nice and my sympathies to all going through it at the moment!).

Anyhow, in October 2009 I (luckily!) managed to secure a new job but it was a 40% cut to what I was earning. This role was advertised as a Grade 7 salary but I would be starting on a Grade 5. Okay fair dos as it was a new role to me and I was glad to be working again.

Now having been in the company a while and doing the job okay I’m still on a Grade 5 with no chance of a review until October this year. I don’t want to be ungrateful because I needed and was lucky to get this job but how long can a company “hold” you on your probationary pay for?

wwaswas

Normally it would be spelled out in an offer letter but check your contract of employment to see how long your probationary period is – normally your notice will change at the ned of it.

Did they make any verbal commitments as to how long you woudl be at the lower grade?

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno but company rules are not the law, they can be broken if HR/management really want to.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As long as it says in the contract of employment, which should specify all t’s & c’s If the contract doesn’t explicitly state this, then it should be imported from a generic terms of employment, (eg I work for the NHS, contract does not specifically state salary, states I am employed at grade x and that is defined someplace else). if not, then as long as they feel like or you’re prepared to pt up with it.
    I’ve never heard of a probationary salary, only a probationary period during which you’re paid the full rate. Probabtionary periods normally 3-6 months.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Probation periods are usually 3 months whenever I have seen them. You would normally expect to have had a written agreement stating that you were on a probation period and what would happen after a certain amount of time.
    Sounds like this is not the case and at the end of the day you essentially took a job offer at a certain level and wage.
    I would have a chat with your line manager and put your case forward in a positive and constructive way stating that you feel you have performed well over the past year and would like to discuss an increase in grade and salary in line with the original job advert. They will only be receptive to this if you have performed well and they have noticed this so you may want to work on a ‘sales pitch’ for yourself.

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks, I just feel insecure about “rocking the boat” but at the same time feel that it’s a little unfair.

uplink
    Free Member

What does the job offer letter say?

druidh
    Free Member

Maybe the job only pays Grade 7 when you have acquired sufficient knowledge and experience? I’ve known lots of roles where that has applied.

tyger
    Free Member

druidh – that could be the case but there’s nothing in writing that specifies what you need to achieve the specific grades 🙁

Stuey01
    Free Member

Sounds like you are employed at the lower grade, not on probation. Lots of people at my place get done over in a similar fashion to this with extended periods in “interim” higher graded roles, that drag on and on.

Do you have a good relationship with your line manager?
    Do have any good relationships with other senior people at your place, not in your immediate line, with whom you could have a confidential “mentoring” chat?

Some good advice above about putting your case.
    I would suggest that, if you can, you talk it over in confidence with someone who knows the company well. Preferably who is senior to you but with whom you have a good relationship and who you can trust to have a confidential chat. Worth it to understand the lie of the land, there could be things going on behind the seens, pressure to make cuts etc, that you don’t want to fall foul of.

glenh
    Free Member

tyger – Member
    druidh – that could be the case but there’s nothing in writing that specifies what you need to achieve the specific grades

In my experience, that’s exactly what the deal would likely be – you go up to grade 7 pay when you demonstrate the grade 7 skills/activities. They will probably be set out somewhere other than your contract (since they will apply to other grade 7s too).

However, in these days of everyone trying to save cash, I suspect they will make it quite hard for you to make the move. 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Suggest you simply ask – eg “what do I have to do to get onto a grade 7 pay scale?”

Sounds to me like you’re employed at grade 5 even if the job is formally grade 7 and I’ll bet that if you don’t ask, you’ll stay right there…

Drac

A lot use the 12 month law as the probation period, it’s not unusual for a probationary pay, it’s away of getting money back for training and the likes.

However, you need it cleared up talk to your line manager in a none demanding way just as a general enquiry. They’d appreciate that more than gong elsewhere especially above them.

xiphon
    Free Member

My probationary was 6 months, which seems the usual length to me. While you’re in the probationary period, it’s far easier for employers to get rid of you…. and in this financial climate, they may realise employing you was an expensive mistake…

As for OP – look at your contract. A verbal agreement means nothing these days – if it’s not on paper (and signed!), it doesn’t exist.

The contract may say “With potential to reach grade 7 in 12 months”, which is very different to “Will increase pay to grade 7 in 12 months”.

Good luck, hope you can get somewhere with it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Salary question’ is closed to new replies.