Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Saint drivetrain issues (or not)?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hi all,

I wanted to compare my Saint issues to see if anyone else has encountered similar issues before taking it to the LBS tomorrow.

My Bfe is setup with Saint cranks, 2 x 9 chainrings and derailleur and I have several issues with it.

When I first got it the original chain kept snapping, and then after eventually replacing the very-new-but-cursed chain there was a trouble-free period of months.

Then yesterday I had an appalling chainsucky ride yesterday which had to eventually be abandoned.

It was muddy and icy, and after first getting chainsuck we found a chainlink had twisted. We replaced it by shortening the chain, but the problems quickly reappeared despite cleaning the crap off and trying different chainring combinations at the front and back.

Today after cleaning the bike I find that the chain is again twisted and the granny ring (and perhaps the big ring, though I haven’t looked yet) has three or four teeth that are pretty mis-shaped.

I run 2 x 9 on a Bfe and wondered if anyone else has had similar problems or if it’s just a bit of bad luck on my part / how the cookie crumbles.

I particularly wonder if the Saint bash leaves enough room for general mud clearance on crappy days – thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Will

The bike – http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrwilleeumm/4626590478/in/set-72157624105578998/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Bfe should be run with a single front chainring and chain device. Its the only way!

mcinnes
    Free Member

I hear you. But would it make any difference to the chainsuck? That’s the question! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont get any chainsuck with mine with a single 33tooth front ring and a gamut chain device.

I have never used mine with a double setup but it looks like the chainring sits pretty close to the chainstays which must be part of the problem

mcinnes
    Free Member

Good to hear, thanks for the input David 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Saint drivetrain issues (or not)?’ is closed to new replies.