• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Saint clipless pedals
  • MSP

Has anyone tried the shimano saint clipless pedals? How do they compare to the CB mallets?

I have been running the mallets for a while now, and like the support of the platform and being able to stand on the pedal when I am not quick enough to clip in, but I find the actual mechanism pretty poor for clipping in and out of. I much prefer the shimano spd system, but wonder if the platform id anywhere near as effective when surrounding the spd design.

timbog160

Loads of platform pedals out there now using the spd cleats – I have saInts, horizons and v twins – prefer the horizons personally but the saints are a fine pedal.  Having said that I have just put the v twins back on my ebike and am really liking them again.  I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with any of them.  Never tried the mallets mainly because of the lack of compatibility.  Not much to choose between them in terms of non clipped in support.

joemmo
    Free Member

There have been a couple of threads recently that discussed this type of pedal at length, worth going back a few pages to find them.

SirHC

I killed a pair of XTR’s, bearings in the left pedal exploded, hopefully will get them warrantied, as only 9 months old!

Bought a pair of saints, yes they are heavy, but they offer a lot more support than the shimano trail pedals. Mud shedding isn’t as good as CB, but only ridden on claggy clay so far, should be no issue with wetter mud.

jimdubleyou

Saints were my first foray into platform clipless – I was getting hotspots with my XT pedals and wanted a bit more support.

Had a three hour ride a couple of weeks ago with no issues. Not been anywhere claggy so no idea on mud.

There was a group review in the mag 2-3 months ago…

DezB
    Free Member

I think we came to a conclusion on the other thread that it depends on your shoes. Yer usual Shimano xc type shoe won’t get any more support from a Saint pedal than an XT Trail.

They do look cool though 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Saint clipless pedals’ is closed to new replies.