Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Running shoes for people with flat, wide, rubbish feet
  • submarined
    Free Member

I started running again a few months ago, and recently have had what’s been diagnosed by my physio as classic Runner’s knee/ITB issues. After humouring my dad joke about learning to throttle my body, he told me my 30 quid, 200 mile old Decathlon shoes were shit. But in a much more professional way. (And also gave me lots of exercises etc)

So, I should probably get some proper ones. I have pretty much no arch, my feet are wide, and apparently I over pronate.

Anyone out there with similar flippers that runs, and can you recommend anything? He recommended something stabilising, rather than something with a built up instep.

Budget to a certain extent is quite flexible, I’d like to preserve my knees so don’t mind paying.

Currently do 5/10k when I’m not yelping in pain, would quite like to be able to do a half at some point. Use is a mix of road and trail, so I guess I need the equivalent of a gravel shoe.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I no longer run, but these are wide, and afaik, standard issue within the British army. Just not in this colour:

https://www.lyst.co.uk/shoes/hi-tec-silver-shadow-2-navy-and-gold-trainers/

temudgin

My flat, wide plates seem comfortable in Saucony Ride 12.

tuboflard

Get yourself to a running shop and get some proper gait analysis done. My experience is that you only find out the price once you’ve picked the shoes that work for you, but by then you’re committed and you’ve got a pair of shoes which fit you perfectly, so worth every penny.

If you’re in or near Sheffield I can recommend a couple of options (Front Runner or Accelerate).

i_like_food

All the running research that I’ve read says that if a pair of shoes is comfortable to run in then they’ll probably be ok. Of course the challenge is running in shoes at the shop so the advice above is worth following.

I too have wide flippers and would recommend trying Altra. They are super wide and transformed my feet after 20 years of thinking blisters and injuries were normal, turns out that’s not necessarily the case.

dti

Been using barefoot shoes for years seem to work for me after a first few months of running in

sillysilly
    Free Member

Brooks Beast

blitz

I know there’s mixed opinions on fittings for running shoes but my experience is that it can be worth getting a good gait analysis but ask around to make sure you get it done somewhere reputable.

I was fitted in ‘sweatshop’ for some running shoes. They assessed me as having issues with over pronation from watching me jog for a few minutes on a treadmill. They put me into some stability shoes (Sauconcy Guide) and despite persevering with them because I’d been ‘fitted’ for them, I could never get on with them and kept having problems with my right calf and outside of the right foot.

I almost gave up running as I thought my leg was just goosed but my wife booked me a fitting at an independent place (Bay Running in Herne Bay). This was a completely different and much more thorough video analysis and fitting. Turns out I do slightly overpronate but only on my left leg. My right leg is neutral. The fitter explained that the stability shoes were correcting my left leg but actually making my right leg supinate which was very likely the cause of the injury issues I was having. He recommended trying some neutral shoes but with good cushioning to still provide some support to my left leg and after a bit of experimentation and checking on the video we ended up settling on Brooks Ghost. Since getting them I’ve been able to run again without injury for over a year now which I had begun to think would never happen.

So definitely worth asking around for recommendations of a good fitter IMO.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 for Altra. Can take a bit of getting used to the zero drop but definitely a wide fit

A few other manufacturers do go good wider fitting shoes. I’ve had success with Salamon, New Balance and Inov8.

lunge

Altura was my first thought too, they are good for wide feet.
    Brooks do some of their shoes in a wide fit, and their normal fit is pretty wide anyway.
    Nike also do the Pegasus in wide fit. They’re not the brand that jumps to mind when you want wide shoes but if you buy direct from their website you can run in them and still send them back for a refund if you don’t like them.
    I’d personally sway away from the free gait a analysis in running shops due to 3 bad experiences that led to poor fitting shoes being purchased. I’m not convinced that 15 mins on a treadmills tells you enough. You’d have thought I’d have learned after the 2nd one…

benos

I have an insanely wide forefoot/toes and a narrow heel. I had a fitting at Run and Become and ended up with New Balance 1080 4E width (all other makes too narrow at the toe box).

I definitely recommend a fitting to try all the differed shapes and sole profiles etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Altra do wide shoes as do Hoka

Try some on and go with the ones that feel comfy.

If flat footed try not to get a high arch. Inov8 tend not to be high arch, but IMO they still don’t do wide fitting shoes

Decathlon trainers are not bad Just they are not great compared with premium brands. They are a bit soft and flexible

MoreCashThanDash

Get yourself to a running shop and get some proper gait analysis done. My experience is that you only find out the price once you’ve picked the shoes that work for you, but by then you’re committed and you’ve got a pair of shoes which fit you perfectly, so worth every penny.

This.

Derby Runner in Spondon if you are local

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have wide feet, complemented by **** bunions. 😩 Brooks are my road shoes. Nothing special, just soft uppers that stretch nicely and don’t seem to put any pressure on. Love Salomon but even their wide fit were killing me off road, so tried Altras. They have a toe box that would almost fit your flat hand. The low drop takes a bit of getting used to but for off-road, I don’t think it’s such a thing as you’re on your toes a bit more anyway. So it’s a +1 for Brooks and Altria for me.

wbo
    Free Member

Go to a shop and put on a lot of shoes, preferably in a shop with a lot of different brands. First of all having wide feet isn’t unusual, and people above have good suggestions . Also, a degree of pronation is how we’re designed to work. So don’t panic that you need some thing really magic.

Altra are an interesting suggestion, and definitely wide, but…. you need to try them on as the low drop (from heel to toe ) means you’ll feel stretched in the calf and that doesn’t work for some people. They also have form for making expensive shoes that fall to pieces.

At the other end the Silver Shadows might be army issue , but are pretty rubbish, and no better than your decathlon 30 quid shoes. Which may or may not be ok.

I like Pegasus. I also like some Hoka’s , but they’re generally not wide. Rincon’s IF they’re on sale. They wear better than they used to.

Other peoples sugestions can be no more than that… One thing I would think of is that if you have flat rigid arches, really flexible shoes might not be the best… something stiffer to support that arch will help I think

Joe

I would think about seeing a proper running coach, who really is interested in getting you running properly as opposed to buying new shoes. There will be work to be done strengthening your calves, toes and various intrinsic muscles in your feet.

You’ll only need a few sessions, and a dedication to doing the drills and exercises. You will notice a huge difference in the way you run and become far less injury prone.

Most people will just chase themselves round and round in circles buying new shoes, different shoes, whatever the latest shit is…. the issue is with them, not whatever guff is the latest on the market.

I chased endless injuries round and round with more and more orthotics, hokas, arch supports and god knows what else for years and years…everyone diagnosing me with flexible flat feet and telling me how i needed support. Then i met a decent running coach who had me injury free in a few months – he thought maybe stopping heal striking, and building the muscles that controlled the foot might make more difference than more and more spending on shoes. Until a recent serious ankle injury caused by climbing, i spent many many happy hours running with no support in altra trail shoes.

Give it a go.

lunge

Didn’t see your comment on road and off road. Buy some road shoes, almost all are fine for light off road until it gets technical and/or muddy. I wear road shoes of road all summer, it’s only when the mud arrives do I put trail shoes on (or stick to the road).
    For a new runner, road shoes are generally more cushioned which is what you need.

fazzini

I started the C25k a while ago, and struggled until I went to a running shop for a bit of help. I over-pronate and generally crap feet. Ended up with Brooks Adrenaline GTS wide. Think they’re a 2E width. Lovely and comfy. Depends on the style of shoe but I find I’m anywhere between a 2E and a 4E for width. Just tried a pair of Hoka wide fit and they were too narrow. Shame cos they were lovely light shoes.

dovebiker

Start off with a decent, neutral well-cushioned shoe to see how you get on. Running shoes only have a limited life of a few hundred miles as the foam compresses/ upper and soles wear – worn out shoes are often a cause of injury.
    I’d avoid any minimalist barefoot shoes as a beginner – they require a degree of adaptation in both running style and ‘toughening up’ your feet/muscles/tendons. As a runner with decades of experience, with a relatively efficient technique and no bio mechanical issues, I still got niggly injuries from them.
    I used to love Hoka shoes but their quality and durability has noticeably worsened as their prices head skyward. Altra likewise – they look and feel like cheap trainers IMO.
    Brooks have a great rep for hard wearing shoes.

surfer
    Free Member

Go to a running shop with lot of choice and try on cushioned shoes from several major brands. Choose the ones that are most comfortable and fit your budget.

I wouldnt bother with gait analysis even if it is worth doing its not worth doing by somebody in a running shop likely to be untrained, unqualified and on minimum wage.

tuboflard

Running coach suggestion from @Joe is a good shout, helps iron out any bad habits and structures your training based on your goals.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Re running coach. Personally I don’t see the point

Stretching and building up slowly would be my advice, as well as joining a local club

People have been running for thousands of years, it comes naturally

jimmy

Altras felt a bit extreme for me – not enough support, didn’t like the zero / low drop.

I now have a full range of Topo Athletic shoes (OK, a pal was the UK importer).

https://www.topoathletic.co.uk/

Wide toe box, snug heel, good cushioning and drop.

chakaping
    Free Member

As a fellow flat footed runner, I was just wearing generic TK Maxx Adidas for running and having similar knee issues when I went much past 10k.

I’m now running in some proper running shoes (Asics Roadhawk) that I got half price to try.

In a nutshell: Stiffer and more supportive, bit less comfortable and don’t feel that much different at my usual plodding pace – but feel MUCH better on the rare occassions that I pick up the pace a bit.

I’d consider adding my own plantar fascitis insoles I was going any further than my usual 5 or 10k. Might try that anyway.

chestrockwell

I also have wide feet and having taken advice from The Complete Runner in Ilkley am on my second pair of Saucony Guide Iso 2’s. Think they have been replaced now but Saucony are the first place I’d look.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I’d avoid any minimalist barefoot shoes as a beginner – they require a degree of adaptation in both running style and ‘toughening up’ your feet/muscles/tendons.

I’d absolutely recommend barefoot shoes or even running completely barefoot to a complete beginner as long as they have coaching on proper technique, we might be born to run, but we’re not all born knowing how to. As a runner with only 3 years experience, who only started in their 40s switching to barefoot shoes for everyday wear 10 years ago was the best thing I ever did in preparation. The only adaptation they require is running with the proper technique that “Supportive + cushioned” shoes let you get away without.

susepic

I’d second Brooks GTS (GTS = Go To Shoe apparently) was the shoe that enabled me to get back to running after an ACL op. Different widths, good cushioning, and motion control.
    Go to a proper running shop, run by runners, and ask their advice. They will know their stock, will be able to look at your gait, ask about issues, and prob give you a choice of 3 sensible shoes to try.
    You could also ask the RunnersWorld forum as well 😉

submarined
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone, lots of (often conflicting!) Advice, but all very useful.
    As much as I can see the value in things like running coaches, barefoot shoes etc, I’m working with a physio who’s fixed me previously, and it’s not something I know much (anything) about, so I’m really going to have to go with his recommendations for the path to follow as I’m working with him.
    He advised a supportive shoe, so that’s what I’m looking at.
    Brooks beast/ghost/adrenaline seem to be praised by several people I’ve spoken to, soap good line to follow. I’m going to try to get myself to a ruining shop (Warwick Sports and Coventry Runner are nearish to me) but time is very limited at the moment,

To be honest I’ve always been a little suspicious of gait analysis as I don’t know anyone who’s had one done and not been recommended new shoes, even if their current ones were only a few months old!

I’m not a serious runner, I never will be. Running is mostly a stop gap whilst I can’t ride due to health issues. I’m trying to avoid overthinking this like I do almost every other purchase 😀

lunge

Coventry Runner are a good shop, they’d be my port of call.

Recommending running coaches and barefoot is classic STW over complicating things.

susepic

Definitly stick with your physio’s advice.
    as for gait analysis best advice i got years ago from one of the guys at Tortoise and Hare (RIP) at Smithbrook Kilns near Cranleigh, was me walking barefoot across the patio area in front of the shop, him looking at movement of knees and ankles, and him asking about any probs. Back then he put me in a pair of Sauconys and they were wonderful.
    So gait analysis is maybe meh, but getting an experienced runner and shoe man to look at your movement and give you a shortlist is an excellent way to get sorted from so many different kinds of shoe to choose from.

jamiemcf

I love my altras. Only issue I found at first was my toes could move more freely so the underside of my toes which had always been curled under was tender. Time got me used to my toes being used as nature intended.

Overall I still find altras a bit narrow at the knuckle of my wee toe but I think they’re the best I’m going to get.

Since getting them (Lems and vivos too) I’ve had to get rid of my other shows as they’re too tight now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Brooks beast/ghost/adrenaline

Adrenaline user here. Comfiest road shoes I’ve had in years.

EDIT: My Garmin tells me I’ve done just under 700km in them (I log my gear to keep track). They’re still in perfect nick.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Maybe you’re trying to do too much, too soon.

I’d build up my walking until I can comfortably hike up and down the equivalent of Ben Nevis without it feeling like I’ve made the final of the Lochaber and district shin-kicking competition (bare-breasted, and wi a bairn under each erm).

Probably purchase a heart rate monitor so that you’re pacing yourself (don’t exceed your aerobic max), when out on the hills.

Last time I had a look on the decathlon website, I couldn’t find anything as simple as this:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/reebok-royal-classic-jogger-mens-trainers-124019#colcode=12401940

lunge

Last time I had a look on the decathlon website, I couldn’t find anything as simple as this:

Genuine question, what is the appeal of simple?
    A new runner needs some protection and a well fitted shoe. That Reebok thing is neither.
    A Brooks Ghost is. If you want to buy Reebok, buy the Floatride Eneegy 4 with the best discount code you can find, it’s a cracking shoe for very little outlay.

joebristol

I’d go to a decent running shop that has a good reputation. In Bristol I’ve always used Moti and been pleased. I over pronate and used to be 15 odd stone. At that point they fitted me with some heavy duty saucony’s that I never loved but did the job. Next time I went back I was a stone and a bit lighter so they fitted me in some Nike’s that were a bit lighter but still strong stability shoes. The following time I went back lighter again I ended up with Brooks adrenaline gts’

I’ve stuck with the same model of Brooks since buying online when on offer – although next time I’m going back to the running shop for assessment as I’m the lightest I’ve ever been and Brooks have now fundamentally redesigned that model.

If you aren’t going to get gait assessed then perhaps try a mild stability shoe – Asics GT2000 / Brooks Launch GTS etc. All will have better padding than the more basic decathlon trainers.

On the advice above about barefoot running style shoes – be very careful if you do this. You have to make sure you really aren’t heal striking as they’ve got nothing to help there and you’ll injure yourself in short order. If you make sure you’re running properly without heel striking and build up gradually then maybe they could work for you. I’m a clumpy oaf so giving them a wide berth.

jimmy

Altra on Sportpursuit today

wbo
    Free Member

There’s a difference between simple and rubbish, and those Reeboks fall in the latter. The cushioning is a bit light, and limited, and is going to collapse pretty quickly, which doesn’t matter as they’re really a fashion item. The oft recommended Pegasus has a bit more cushioning (moderate), which will last a lot longer, is neutral (moderate), moderate weight and are generally moderate in everytihng, so I’d say that’s a simple shoe worth buying.

I think the OP is on the right track getting advice from his physio tho’ 🙂

blurty
    Free Member

Altra (& Derby runner if you’re in range)

walowiz

apologies for the slight thread hijack.

But in a similar position re wide feet, not quite as flat footed – possibly.

Can anyone recommend any wide fitting trail shoes that have good support ? Had a trawl via google and there isn’t much around, unless I’m not looking int he right places, some salomon but IIRC they don;t really come up that wide.

lunge

? Can anyone recommend any wide fitting trail shoes that have good support ?

Altura again.
    Hoka Speedgoats are awesome and they do a wide fit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.