• This topic has 56 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Del.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Running (off road) headtorches?
  • ed34
    Free Member

Just did my first nighttime 5k off road and realised my headtorch isn’t really that good. Apart from that though it was great fun!

So what do you recommend? Ideally under £70 I only really run for 45 mins or so so don’t need huge runtime.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Petzl bindi

scotroutes

I use a LED Lenser H7. I like the very adjustable beam – brightness, flood and angle.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve not long got back from a run, my first in ages due to the parks being so busy all summer. The amount of really powerful torches about was quite annoying. Never really noticed it before so it must be a relatively new thing. Handheld, on bikes, on heads… it wasn’t even that dark if you just let your eyes get used to it. Kind of disrupted my run due to getting blinded by these things and having to stop. Not moaning at you OP, just an observation and your post reminded me.

Daffy

Knog Bilby – I tend to run with just the red light on unless i fear traffic.

bob_summers

I use a Petzl reactive one, Swift RL, plenty bright* etc but the main improvement over the Decathlon one it replaced was weight/stability. It doesn’t nod up and down like the old one did (unless it was done up tight enough to give me a headache).

*for my use which is running 10k back from work along mainly farm tracks.

jeffl

I use one of these from Decathlon. Makes you look like iron man. Use it in the park, in the woods when running. Think of it like a bar light for running, points where your going rather than where you’re looking.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/run-light-250-running-light/_/R-p-121065

supernova

I got a great ultralight headtorch from Lidl the other day. £6. They often have stuff left over in the middle if you look.

lunge

If I’m properly off road, as opposed to in the park, I use 2.
    A head torch, this one.
    And a chest light like the one linked above.
    Works well.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

For off road I tend to hold my exposure joystick in my hand.. great bit of bit

tuboflard

Exposure Joystick with the head band is brilliant. Added bonus that you can use it on the bike. I’ve done steady off road 5k’s to 12 hour night time ultras with it and it’s faultless.

Pieface

Petzl Swift RL might be available for that much. I’ve got used to using it on lowest power for most terrain off road, middle power for anything a bit more techy then full power for super tech or scoping out the Landscape. Other than that the LED lenser range is good. Alpkit Quark is a decent budget option.

peekay

+1 for Exposure Joystick and the headband.

Use mine for night time trail running up to marathons, on the bars of the gravel bike for the off-road bits of commuting, helmet light for MTB and handheld torch for camping and general use.

It is generally bright enough on the low setting for trail running and the battery lasts an age.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trail-running-300-lumens-head-torch-onnight-710-black-and-orange/_/R-p-129885?mc=8370255

Very very good for the money. Lots of our running club use them

Nearly as good as Petzl Nao

trail_rat
    Free Member

So it was just me that found the exposure joystick and headband combo to be crap in fog as it’s effectively behind your eye line

The headband also drops down onto your ears unless you always wear a hat.

I abandoned that idea quite quickly and have 2 15 quid 1000lumen 18650 jobs off Amazon. They have been truely faultless.

– they sell under the brand “kingtop” now.

ed34
    Free Member

Thanks guys I’ll check the suggestions out. There’s no lights at all on the loops i do, and the tracks are sometimes a bit vague on the grass (as I discovered tonight), plus a few rooty and rocky bits so I’m erring towards more lumens, I can always dim it down for the easier bits.

What’s the reactive lighting like on the Petzl Swift RL, Pieface? Been looking at that (£70) Vs the Petzl Aktic core 450 (£42)

Pieface

Anything in fog will be crap, hand held torch at waist height is marginally better but when the clags down the fog is the same affect as it does in daylight

Pieface

I’ve only had it a few weeks, seems to work fine and only notice the transition when inside. I had the Actik core previously and it will probably cover all your needs, though I did manage to short circuit it by putting the battery in the wrong way round. Option to use AAA batteries on Actik is useful but less charge

djambo
    Free Member

I have been using an Alpkit Quark for about a year. I do a lot of 5-15km runs at night across footpaths, fields, bridalways, forest tracks and country lanes. It has been great and proven a good choice.

I was a bit worried it would be too big but it’s not been an issue. I don’t notice it being there when running. It is super comfortable, bright as i need, rechargeable but can take AAAs if needed. Can’t go wrong in my opinion really.

stumpy01

I’ve got one of the Ironman style Decathlon lights. It’s a good option.

2 brightness levels, good run time and the light unit can be angled easily, so you can dip it down in congested areas and raise it up for more throw when there’s no one about.

Only slight annoyance is the swaying of the light with your body, but not really a problem.
    I haven’t really used it in fog or rain but I imagine it would work better than a head mounted one in those conditions, as it’s not at the same height as your eyes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anything in fog will be crap,

Indeed but many things are less crap than a light that’s held next to and behind your eye.

A center top mounted torch has proven better for me in fog than my joystick

Pieface

A headtorch can be held in your hands. On big night runs i take both.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

People mentioning those Decathlon chest ones. If you are doing proper off road don’t bother. They are ok for flat straight terrain, but useless for steep up/down, left or right as the light doesn’t follow the direction you are going.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree with trail rat, pish on foggy/rainy nights.

tweeky
    Free Member

Lumenator 800 from MTB Batteries.
    Mark modified one for my daughter…shortened the cable so there isn’t loads of excess flapping about. She’s an ultra runner, so needs a good light. When she lived in the Lakes, there were a few folk with swanky Hope and similarly expensive headlights. Hers performed as well, if not better. She’s delighted with it, and his customer service.
    Sorry….should have said…. it’s within your budget, but maybe a slight wait for stock.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lumenator lol!

mogrim

I’ve got a Decathlon model, uses AAA batteries which is handy for ultras as it makes changing them easy. (Assuming you’ve got someone else near to illuminate what you’re doing or a back up light of course!)

If you’re planning on heading out at night regularly a rechargeable model would clearly be a better bet, I’d get the model FunkyDunc linked to above.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I recently picked up a petzl Iko Core.
    super bright at 500 lumen and 2.5hr run time. USB rechareable. overall really good (a bit funky in comparison with a traditional band)

swavis

I’ve just pre-ordered an Alpkit Qark for just this reason, I really can’t be bothered changing batteries in my current Viper headtorch so wanted something rechargeable. Good to read a positive review djambo.

tomnavman
    Free Member

The biolite head torches are very good for running as they are low profile and have a wide strap, so very stable. Pick the one with the output / runtime you need.

I’ve found my current LED Lenser is great in terms of light output, but wobbles around a lot and isn’t very comfortable unless I wear a headband / hat.

turboferret

As I run almost exclusively in the dark during the winter, my head torch gets a lot of use. I sew the mount onto the front of a cap to make it more comfortable and less likely to get lost.

On the right is my original, an Exposure Verso which is great, on a waterproof Ronhill cap. On the left of the more recent lighter weight Petzl Bindi on a Buff cap. Verso has a more focused beam and is brighter, the Bindi is much lighter with a more of a flood beam. I rarely use either on full power. Fog or misty rain aren’t great, you are mainly illuminating the patch of air directly ahead of the light and not much else, but I don’t see many great solutions around.

benp1

Bindi is a good shout as runtime is perfect for what you need and it’s REALLY light for the weight

I’m a bit of a headtorch fan, for a nighttime run I’d be using my Bindi or my Zebralight if I needed lots of power

But, you might find something mounted on your waist or chest gives you shadows to help see the lumps and bumps more easily

johnnystorm

Olight H1R or similar

Rechargeable, can take spare batteries, can get a bar mount for bike use, can use it as a normal torch, stands up on a flat surface, has sensible beam options that don’t have to be scrolled through everytime, etc.

BadlyWiredDog

Bindi is a good shout as runtime is perfect for what you need and it’s REALLY light for the weight

I’ve used a Bindi off road and unless it’s very smooth, ime it’s not really bright enough. Good back-up torch to stick in a bum-bag though and fine on smooth stuff like converted railroad trails. I get that ‘enough’ is subjective and depend on you, the terrain you’re on and how fast you want to go.

The Swift RL’s decent. Ime the reactive lighting works really well and, if you don’t like it, you can just stick it on constant. The beam pattern’s floody enough to work pretty well for proprioception too. My take is that you want a big, floody beam otherwise your brain doesn’t have a wider visual context for reference and you feel off balance.

If you can find one cheap, the Petzl Nao+ is brilliant. Not outright much brighter – it might even be less – than the Swift RL, but separate battery box means it’s more balanced on the head and the beam pattern is just a huge pool of light. Great on proper off-road.

Also, a tad left field, but surprisingly good, is the Petzl IKO Core:
    https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/PERFORMANCE-headlamps/IKO-CORE

Very, very light. Much brighter than the Bindi. Very comfortable and stable. Mad looks. Doesn’t have much of a spot beam, but doesn’t really need one for running unless you’re trying to pick out gates in the distance or something.

Finally, Silva does some decent running torches with a mixed flood and spot beam that are also worth looking at. They’ve just launched a range of new off-road running torches that might be worth a look. I’ve not used one, but looks like similar technology / beam patterns to their older stuff:

https://silva.se/trailrunnerfree/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bindi fine here for hill running at night, I’m fortunate enough to have good eyesight, mibbe a factor.

BadlyWiredDog

Bindi fine here for hill running at night, I’m fortunate enough to have good eyesight, mibbe a factor.

It’s relative as well I think. If you try a Nao then switch to a Bindi, there’s a big difference. I love the Bindi as an all-round, lightweight torch, but for me, going fast on lumpy technical stuff on local trails in the Peak, it’s not really bright enough. Good beam pattern for running through. The IKO Core thing’s a good sort of mid-point between the two.

footflaps

Just noticed that Lupine has brought out an 1100 lumen head torch…

https://www.lupine.de/products/headlamps/penta

tweeky
    Free Member

Lumenator?….Sorry Ed…wrong torch. Lumen 800. Small head unit and battery back, easily light enough for a head torch. Currently £55.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Running 45 mins as the OP asks doesn’t really justify a separate battery pack light like the Lumen 800, sod carrying a battery pack on a run.

i_like_food

Happy with my Alpkit qurk. Rechargeable but also takes AAAs, plenty light enough for fast (for me) off road running (580 lumens).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Running (off road) headtorches?’ is closed to new replies.