Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Exeter to Newcastle isn’t exactly next door either. Why is the Pro12 product poor?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Biggest puzzler of all though, why on earth has the commentator just said ‘how wonderful it is to see Callum Clark back playing’? ….erm no my friend, it really **** isn’t!!!!!

After that arm breaking incident, I sincerely feel it should have been…

anagallis_arvensis

Why is the Pro12 product poor?

Because the games are notvthe ones the fans want to watch. The Welsh Derbies are well attended as are the games in ireland but the potential tv audience is tiny compared to England hence no cash. Whats the total poulation of Wales, Ireland and Scotland compared to England?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No idea TBH,I don’t get to watch the Pro12 so I’m left wondering why a league that promised so much on its inception is now seen as a dead duck?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pro12 what @aa says, domestic derbies have interest whilst the league as a whole much less so.

Ford will kick penalties for England

Cirpriani is a convicted drink driver, of course he is not in the squad. He showed clearly after years in the wilderness his idea of a recall just before the RWC was get get tanked up and then drive his car.

Kryton57

muddydwarf – Member
    Cips isn’t in the 45 man elite squad is he?

No, but hes arguably the current best english 10.

Ford will kick penalties for England

His prior form says different, his current club stats aren’t geeat either.

Jamba – maybe right, but if i was EJ id know i need him now, whilst i look for a 2nd/3rd RWC 10. Maybe he feels Ford will shape up, and Slade can backfill. Im not convinced though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If he isn’t in the elite squad his form is irrelevant until he is.
    For whatever reason EJ doesn’t want him. Yes, he’s playing great rugby but that’s obviously not enough. I’ve heard a rumour or two about his latter time at Sale but I’ve no idea if they are/were true.

Kryton57

Such as?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Things about his alleged popularity with both the playing and non playing staff.
    After the win against Quins a senior member of the coaching staff made a rather sneering reference to the effect that “our former superstar kicker would have missed two of those five kicks tonight” I was right in front of him when he said it.

anagallis_arvensis

No idea TBH,I don’t get to watch the Pro12 so I’m left wondering why a league that promised so much on its inception is now seen as a dead duck?

Mainly money the potential tv audience for Aviva is 56million for the pro12 its barely 15 I would think so the money spent on the playing squads is much less. This combined with the loss of old rivals and the amalgamation of others means its a bit shit.

Kryton57

Things about his alleged popularity with both the playing and non playing staff.
    After the win against Quins a senior member of the coaching staff made a rather sneering reference to the effect that “our former superstar kicker would have missed two of those five kicks tonight” I was right in front of him when he said it.

So are we saying that Cips is still carrying the attitude then? Reading the sports news in more detail this morning I see Jones has bought several younger 10’s/options into the team. As we knew then, Cips won’t get in. Such a shame, but if you’re not liked by your team is a huge disadvantage when youre a key decision maker.

Looks like a strong set of players coming on though. Looks like Manu’s time is done as well.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Whether people agree with all the players picked by Jones, or not, nobody can disagree that he doesn’t have a clear idea of the direction he wants England to go in and the players he wants to do that with.

In stark contrast to the previous regime.

I think Welsh teams in the English league would be great for the rivalry but not commercially. Where would that leave the Irish/Scots/Italians?
    IF all the Pro12 teams are weak it doesn’t bode well for the European Cup – you might as well have an Anglo-French Cup. The schism is caused by the fact that the Clubs run the game in England and FRance and the Unions do in the Celtic nations.

anagallis_arvensis

you might as well have an Anglo-French Cup

Indeed Glasgow, Ulster and Leinster are still competitive but on the slide IMO. Glasgow have a fairly big budget but Scottish domestic rugby is dying on its arse. The IRU fund the regions well but they are slipping behind

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive absolutely no idea whether Cips is liked by his Wasps team mates or disliked, i can only go from the few rumours/statements ive heard at the end of his time with Sale. He’s undoubtedly talented but EJ obviously has the balance set against him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The only thing stacked against Cirpriani is himself. No one is doubting his talent.

anagallis_arvensis

No one is doubting his talent.

I am he’s …quick google….28….and has never claimed the England 10 shirt, his time is past.

anagallis_arvensis

Ben Kay was on BT sport last night talking up Itoje as the answer to Englands 7 problem! Luanchbury, Kruis, Robshaw, Vunipola, Itoje…thats quite a big* back 5 of the pack. Hughes to bench too…

*as in absolutely **** massive 😯

Pigface
    Free Member

There is a problem? 😯

anagallis_arvensis

There is a problem?

Hask still has a poorly toe.

anagallis_arvensis

Osprey Ulster a good game so far. Watched the first half of bath gloucester earlier..40mins of my life wasted!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Spent a few hrs with Tigger’s fans – rather fun!
    Now rather pissed….

Pigface
    Free Member

FFS Ospreys 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Hard to win away in Ulster, especially with a ref so easily influenced by the crowd.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Arg 3 – 29 NZ at half time. 4 tries in the final 13 mins of the half.

The Pumas haven’t played badly apart from a stupid long lineout that cost one try.

ABs brilliant finishing. A joy to watch.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

2nd half wasn’t so great. Shouldda gone to bed at halftime!

Argies dominated possession and had endless scrums in AB’s 22 plus ABs had a couple of (long overdue) players in the bin.

Jaco Peyper was poor – ignored a blatant shoulder charge from Retallick and a couple of dirty shots from Franks too.

Still, Anton Lienert-Brown was superb at 13. He and Crotty really gelled well too. The first time since RWC that the NZ centres have looked good albeit the Pumas were missing their first choice midfield.

Beauden Barrett didn’t look so good on the back foot. THere’s still a case for Aaron Cruden, if he doesn’t go to France.

TJ Perenara, Patrick Tuipolotu and Ardie Savea were all excellent. It shows the depth they have.

Damian McKenzie’s long awaited debut didn’t go too well but he’ll hopefully get another shot. If Cruden departs he might finally get to play 10 for the Chiefs and then eventually the ABs.

anagallis_arvensis

Looks like Warburton may miss autumn internationals with a fractured cheeck bone. Bit buggered in the backrow with Faletau already out and Lydiate too. Tips at 7, Moriarty at 6 and maybe Navidi at 8. That Nic Willuams fella at The Blues has a welsh sounding name maybe we can have him?

Pigface
    Free Member

Didn’t know the Australians are playing Argentina at Twickenham this weekend, is that part of the Championship?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Sure is. I think it’s a “home” game for the Pumas.

duckman

Sam Jones’s leg was broken during a judo session at the England training meet; I am sure Wasps will be fine with that!Speaking of injuries caused by martial arts, I was sorry to see Callum Clark back playing for Northampton at the weekend,As rough as it sounds, I was rather hoping his injury was career ending.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Feel a bit for Jones because he’s been playing really well for Wasps. Bet they’re a bit cheesed off though – Dai Young has come across really well discussing it though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@duckan hadn’t seen that, that’s a shocker !

@Pigface they have been trying to flog tickets for months, all sorts of offers. Will be interesting to see how full or not the stadium is.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Looks like Watson is out with a broken jaw now too.

NZCol

Good to see Aaron Smith keeping the All Blacks immaculate record of sh@gging in toilet cubicles up…disabled toilet as well, shocking behaviour …I’m sure his partner is delighted.

DezB
    Free Member

Ha! He’s made a public apology… Like we care 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Good to see Aaron Smith keeping the All Blacks immaculate record of sh@gging in toilet cubicles up…disabled toilet as well, shocking behaviour …I’m sure his partner is delighted.

Even the NZ PM has weighed in with his comments!

anagallis_arvensis

Watson got his jaw broken in England training

NZCol

The thing is, and if you live or have lived in NZ you’ll know this, there’s not a lot else going on and the ABs are held in the highest regard for basically everything. So having a boris becker’esque liason in a toilet cubicle in ChCh airport isn’t the snmartest thing I have ever heard of. Therefore all the hand wringers appear and do the tall poppy thing. He’ll be absolutely hammered for it, rightly frankly on various levels, but very publicly.

DezB
    Free Member

Apparently he, ahem, did it, while people were waiting to use the bog. Which is pretty bloody stupid if you don’t wanna get caught.
    Ah well, Be good to see Kerr-Barlow get more of a game 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

He has posted pics on snap chat that have got him in trouble before

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Apparently Jones broke his leg doing judo with Maro Itoje – maybe he should have picked someone else?

Pity about Watson too – broken jaws can take a while.

Smith is a daft p***k isn’t he? One the one hand you can’t blame him – you meet a random, fit girl at the airport and get offered a shag in the toilets – well you would, if you could, wouldn’t you? Only he couldn’t – he was an All Black and actually on official duty at the time too.

His pass has been a thing of beauty over the last few months. It’s a shame we may not see it for a while. TJ Perenara has, however, been exceptional in Super Rugby and for the ABs last week plus he plays with Barrett all the time as well. You could argue he’s possibly the number two scrum half in world rugby right now so the ABs won’t sufffer too much.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.