Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,888 total)
  • Rugby – 6 nations.
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Go on what did little Austin say about us this time? I actually find him amusing in a perverse way.

Pigface
    Free Member

GlitchynessreturnstoSTW

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

glitchy bump again

duckman

Lions;
    Kearney
    Bowe
    Davies
    Roberts
    North
    Sexton
    Phillips
    Ferris
    Denton
    Warburton
    O’Connell
    Botha (to translate the codes for Denton)
    Jones
    Ford
    Healy

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ireland needed to play against 14 to get in front

Did you see the game? Ireland were 10-5 up at half time and playing really badly.

Not to take anything away from Wales they did deserve to win, however I think that Ireland were the authors of their own misfortune rather than Wales playing to their full potential. Even Gatland reckon they were only playing at 70% which clearly bodes well for the Welsh fans going forward.

I really feel like Ireland missed BOD’s leadership and defence in midfield and the loss of Earls at short notice was also a key factor. Ireland really need to be looking at more midfield options as Darcy and BOD don’t have long left and the young fellas in the provinces are very green (if you pardon the pun).

I must mention Connor Murray, that was his first 6N game and I thought he really played well.

A good start to the championship for Wales though and they have a good chance for a GS.

Ireland need to really play well in France to get a bit of confidence and win the last three games.

I thought France looked reasonably good in spells and the new centre pairing will improve as the games go on.

Scotland were very dissappointing and seemed to have leart nothing from the WC.

A new England side got a win which will give them some confidence.

In some ways I was most impressed with Italy as they really tried to play some rugby and move away from the spoiling tactics they normally employed.

anagallis_arvensis

Have no clue why anyone rates Botha looked shit to me

duckman

Plays like a 6, A-A. Will help his partner rest his auld legs a wee bit. All in all,gives a nice foil for O’Connell imo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just watched a quick highlights clip over on Rugbydump while having a rather uninspiring sandwich for lunch.

North just ran over people. Almost unfair to watch it. He just bludgeoned through them. For his try, he took three Irishmen over the line with him! He’s a monster. And only 19? EEEEK!

But then, alongside the brutality of the back line (Scary, as Desperate Dan called it), there was that delicious offload from North to put Davies in position with a run in. Delicious.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

North did look good tho not the complete player – yet

he has a very long neck.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    North did look good tho not the complete player – yet

If he’s this good when he’s not the complete player, I fear for everyone else when he reaches that level! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed. He made a couple of good defensive plays as well.

Glad he has a scots grandmother and we are about to find out he is actually ineligible for Wales and should be playing for Scotland

loum
    Free Member

North was born in England, as were Cuthbert and J Davies. Thats “dibs” if they get deported. 😉

loum
    Free Member

North, followed by JDavies, were man of the match for me yesterday. However, reflecting on the game now, it becomes even more apparent how much Ireland missed BOD.
    As good as North, Roberts, and JDavies played , it did feel like the Irish midfield was a missed tackle waiting to happen. It was a definate area of weakness, which Wales targetted brilliantly, whereas normally it feels like a turnover could come from any tackle.
    BOD’s not just a great tackler, rucker, and ball winner – he organises the line so well that he semms to get 20% more out of the players around him. Also, when Ireland did chuck it wide, they went over fairly easily themselves. The Welsh defensive line could have been a bit stronger themselves.
    What I’m getting at is I’m coming round to the idea that there’s one last Lions tour for BOD and his mad tackling.

Edit:”Indeed. He made a couple of good defensive plays as well.” Especially the one wher he came flying in off his line and flattened P O’Connell. Worth a try, that hit.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Just for balance, as much as I’m a patriotic welshie.. WTF was North doing giving Bowe that much berth for his try, there was a simple 1 on 1 marking going on and North gave him far too much room, Bowe is a top finisher fair play, I’d not let him have an inch (though he’d take it quite easily from me).

BlindMelon
    Free Member

there’s one last Lions tour for BOD and his mad tackling.

Loum I hope you are right! I was at the Gabba when he scored ‘that’ try. Something very special about a Lions tour.

North certainly is some talent and while defensively his positioning needs a bit of work, he is only going to get better. A very exciting prospect.

Lions:

Kearney
    Bowe
    BOD/Davies
    Roberts
    North
    Sexton
    Murray
    Ferris
    Warburton
    SOB
    Gray
    Ryan (this guy is gonna be very good)
    Jones
    No real stand out hookers – Best or Ford
    Healy

DanW
    Free Member

Really glad you mentioned J. Davies Ioum. I’m really glad to see him in the kind of form that originally got him called up tot the Wales squad.

It will be interesting to see how the Welsh backline fare against France and England as I don’t think they will brush aside the tackles so easily. Barrett looked good in defense and Rougerie seems to be in a good bit of form too- not small guys themselves. France in particular have properly speedy, cunning backs which could cause the big Welsh backs all sorts of problems.

morgs
    Free Member

as I don’t think they will brush aside the tackles so easily

hmmmm – Ireland aren’t exactly pansies when it comes to tackling….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ireland with the notable exception of ROG aren’t exactly pansies when it comes to tackling….

FTFY! 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm I dunno, England havent really been tested by North yet as when he did score agaisnt us he was (in my memory) in clear space and didn’t have to break tackles.. It’s all bit worrying really. Luckily we have our own freak in the form of Manu.

Side note: Not surprisng really but Gatland has reported that he has been told that Bradley Davies will be cited click

The Wales head coach, Warren Gatland, who said the offence merited a sending-off, revealed on Monday that he had been told the Italian citing commissioner, Achille Reali, had instituted disciplinary proceedings.

duckman

Despite my earlier post, it seems you can be cited at int level,even if you have received a card.

On a happier note;

Good luck to Thom Evans who competes over 60m at the Scottish Indoor Athletics Championships this weekend,two years after his rugby career ending injury in Wales.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good luck to Thom Evans who competes over 60m at the Scottish Indoor Athletics Championships this weekend,two years after his rugby career ending injury in Wales.

^^This^^

Agreed.

toys19
    Free Member

Was that the game where some welsh player – was it Hook, essentially stopped playing to standover him (the injured bloke) and attract the refs attention?

duckman

Yes,and despite us being rubbish at rugby our doc is ace and apparently stopped him being paraplegic.

toys19
    Free Member

Good stuff. Unlucky/lucky.. Nice to see him back in action anyway.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I have just heard there is word going about that Mr D Parks has retired from international duty. Anyone heard anything?

duckman

Started by TJ… 😀 On the bright side,that means he will be able to play for Cardiff for longer A-A

ElVino

Ferris and Davies both cited. Not too bothered about this even as an Ireland fan, as someone who coaches kids seeing the tip tackle consigned to history is more important than one Irish loss.

Ireland lost the game (probably deservedly) when Sexton or his captain O’Connell decided to attempt a penalty from his own half. Nothing from sextons kicking all day indicated this was within range. I was screaming at the TV at this point. If he put it in the corner a dominant Irish line-out with an extra man could have secured the ball and ran down the clock or even scored,

duckman

El Vino – Member
    Ferris and Davies both cited.

Don’t worry Toys and Wrecker; Lawes will be back soon and you will get to join the party.

anagallis_arvensis

will be very suprised to see Ferris get a ban, Davies will rightly have the book thrown at him, shame as that aside he was one of the stand out forwards in the match. Will be suprised if he plays again in this year 6 nations I expect about 10 weeks reduced by 3 for dressing nicely and saying sorry.

ijs445ra
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Woo and indeed hooo

In a few weeks time we will be able to look back and thank him for his contribution – but right now its an announcement a week or two too late.

a nice statement from him and the honourable thing to do.

In the immortal words of Alan Rough ” its not my fault I’m the best in Scotland”

mustard
    Free Member

Odds on him having been torn a new one by Robinson and told to retire before he’s dropped?

toys19
    Free Member

Don’t worry Toys and Wrecker; Lawes will be back soon and you will get to join the party.

I don’t think we even need lawes to get our invite, I’m always expecting ashton or tuilagi to do something dumb..
    I agree about ferris, not that bad IMHO. Davies was just a dick.

Teej, no parks, what now?

anagallis_arvensis

God i hate dan parks even more now!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys – Blair and laidlaw to start, play fast and loose like Edinburgh. Might still get beat by wales, might be playing into their hands but it will be a better game. 🙂 Tis better to have tried and lost than never to have tried at all and I’d prefer to pick outr best attack rather than players intended to negate the other side

Pack much as it was – maybe bring in one or more of Harley, Rennie and Vernon in some combination.

Backs –
    9 blair
    10 laidlaw
    11 S lamont and give him a free ranging role
    12 M Scott
    13 De Luca – in the form of his life
    14 M Evans
    15 Hogg

Not much experience there but speed and attacking ability a plenty

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mustard – Member

Odds on him having been torn a new one by Robinson and told to retire before he’s dropped?

I don’t think so from reading the statement.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmmm. I wonder if AR and Parks had a bit of a barney in the dressing room?

Would you want to retire from rugby with your last action being a charged down kick that lead to a try?

loum
    Free Member

How’s Laidlaw’s place kicking?
    [jump gun] Lioin’s standard? [/jump gun] 😉

There’s room for a place kicking FH 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In the last Edinburgh game he didn’t miss one – 6/6 IIRC including touchline conversions. Not a huge range but accurate. I don’t remember him missing many in the games I have seen

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,888 total)

The topic ‘Rugby – 6 nations.’ is closed to new replies.