Home Forums Bike Forum Routes near Oban / Loch Awe / Melfort

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Routes near Oban / Loch Awe / Melfort
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Heading up for a week next week, staying near Cuan Ferry. Will have car and bike. Can anyone point me at some decent routes in the area? Bit worried about midge attack, but would like to get out on the bike for at least a couple of days if it’s windy. 30-40km ish would be good, but even just some areas/hills to look at would be handy.

Thanks,

newrobdob
    Free Member

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and did 2 of the rides that were in a Scottish Forestry comission leaflet, they were excellent. Sort of rocky fire road/normal road mix but excellent scenery and I’d do them again.

https://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/images/pdf/rec_pdfs/MidArgyllCyclingLeaflet.pdf

If you look on Strava there seems to be sections people have ridden in the area but we needed something that our touring bikes would cope with.

nbt

We did some riding in Barcaldine forest when we stayed near oban. Simple forest roads but nice. Google throws up a few results on here if you search, e.g.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/any-biking-near-oban/

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s also the Wild About Argyll Trail which makes its way as far north as Oban. It’s targeted at gravel bikes but the bits we did at Easter further south got some good views and terrain in. Nothing technical.

http://bikepackingscotland.com/argyll/

matt_outandabout

There were no, repeat no, midges there a fortnight ago.

This may have changed, a bit….

IMG_20180525_115508175

13thfloormonk

Be wary of that older Singletrack thread, I’m fairly certain most of the DH stuff on Beinn Lora has now been flattened.

That being said, Strava Segment Explore still throws up some of the singletrack stuff above Barcaldine (Glen Dubh), look for the small reservoir sitting ENE of Barcaldine village. You can  even ride to Barcaldine via Beinn Lora, which is a stiff climb but steep fast descent. Less driving that way.

yetidave
    Free Member

Should be able to circumnavigate Loch Etive.  Bit of road, bit of fire road, bit of hike a bike.

newrobdob
    Free Member

There were no, repeat no, midges there a fortnight ago.

That’s when we were there! We might have said hello to each other at some point on the bikes….

The locals were saying that the midges were due the weekend we were going home. Not sure how they know that but I think they were spot on from what I’ve heard the last week or two.

matt_outandabout

What were you riding? We were on road.

maddyutah

Plenty midges and ticks in the trees in the singletrack bit of glen Etive last week

jam-bo

, bit of hike a bike.

You forgot the bog. I did the north shore of the Etive last September and it was good going until about 3-4Km from the top of the loch and then turned pretty boggy. No idea what the south side is like.

Pretty though.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I am the (currently) tubby one on a Genesis TDF with flat bars, my wife has a very very small Spesh Vita.

Touring style more than anything else (pannier with sandwiches, bar bags etc). 🙂

jam-bo

up to barrs on the north shore of etive its easy fireroad, then about 3km of singletrack, and then about 2km of bog.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thank all. Think I’ll take the Vaya and stick to the (fire) roads, save the proper bike for Torridon next time.

13thfloormonk

Some nice roads near where you are, the wee back road from Kilmelford to Loch Avich is quite twisty and hilly, but also gives you options to explore around the Falls of Avich, and also to follow the ‘String of Lorne’ over to Scammadale, which is mostly landrover track apart from a fiddly wee bit in the middle.

In fact, the more I look at it, the better it looks, you could head south after the ‘Bridge over the Atlantic’ as if heading to Ardmaddy Castle, then follow landrover tracks (I have memories of walking here as a kid, think they are good tracks) to Kilchoan Bay on Loch Melfort, then to Kilmelford, over to the Falls of Avich, String of Lorne to Loch Scammadale, then follow minor roads back to Cuan. Looks like an awesome 60km and just the sort of ride a Vaya was meant for 😉

Actually think I might try this one when I’m home next…

13thfloormonk

Apologies for the self promotion, my old blog with some stuff about Loch Avich/String of Lorne about halfway down…

http://ianezzi.blogspot.com/2010/11/like-fool-to-his-folly-loch-lomond-to.html

matt_outandabout

We did the Avich road last week – a stunning little valley and woods. I couldn’t persuade middle_oab to take the forest track cycle route instead, but the road was stunning anyway.

13thfloormonk

Another famously nice road is the Glen Lonan road, you could go

Cuan Ferry => Kilmore => Musdale (steep and twisty singletrack road) => Loch Nant (fireroads/wind farm access tracks) => Kilchrenan => Taynuilt => Glen Lonan => Kilmore => Cuan Ferry

Although I think that route might ride better in reverse, better views of Cruachan as you descend Glen Lonan to Taynuilt, just watch some of the corners as there was a lot of loose gravel on the outside when I rode it on the road bike last!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Routes near Oban / Loch Awe / Melfort’ is closed to new replies.