Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Routes around Peebles
  • hb1966
    Free Member

Normally we stay in Castle Douglas and cycle the 7-stanes routes there, but this year decided to book a cottage just outside Peebles (to the north) and look at Glentress. We will be there 22-29 October.

We normally ride Blue and Green routes with the occasionaly foray onto a Red route but are happy to cycle anywhere not just at trail centres. Normally we would do a route in the morning and then one in the afternoon.

The downside this year is my wife is suffering with joint issues, so wont be bringing her bike. However, she wants to hire a E-Bike and see whether that makes any difference to her.

We are going to try the routes at Glentress and ive made contact with the bike shop there to enquire about hiring an E-bike.

Am i right in thinking Innerleithen is more downhill routes? If so, not for us.

Is there anywhere else that is recommended to cycle in the area, away from the trail centres? Only downside being id need to be able to hire a E-bike for the wife in close proximity to the route.

mashr

If the weather is nice then Gypsy Glen is a lovely ride. Conveniently it basically faces Glentress so an easy alternative

singlespeedstu

As mashr says Gypsy Glen is a nice XC route and you can start from the bike shop at GT.
    Also consider a ride along the SUW to The Three Brethren. You can either do it as an out and back or come back along the Inners back road if the out and back is a bit too much.

aggs
    Free Member

Hire an ebike from Glentress hotel
    For routes
    Check out website.

http://www.bikevalleytrails.co.uk

Walkerburn to Peebles is linked by the railway path so rides can start anywhere onlong it easily.

andrewh
    Free Member

I came here to say top of Innerliethen to Three Bretbren but beaten to it.
    Inners has a cracking XC loop (still a few closures after storm Arwen) Always quieter than GT.
    There are DH trails there but there is other stuff too. Sounds like the Golfie may not be for you though.
    The SUW from just south of Traquair down towards St Mary’s Loch is also really nice.

snakebite
    Free Member

Did Gypsy Glenn earlier this year, impressive old skool loop, really enjoyed it

jimmy

Gypsy Glen is more than a Blue though. There are forest tracks to ride, but the descent is quite hard work at the top.

On an ebike, ride the fireroads in Glentress and you can go out the back of the mast, down to the Innerleithen road, and take the cycle path back to GT/Peebles.

thepurist

There were some “Natural Tweed” routes as part of the Tweedlove festivals, exploring the wider area. If you can find GPS files for those that’d be more of a day out than the trail centres, or there’s an out & back loop along the Southern Upland Way from Innerleithen to St Mary’s Loch and beyond – it’s a bit of a climb up from Traquair though

highlandman
    Free Member

Ed Shoote’s Gravel Rides Scotland has a long route around Peebles & Inners that could be chopped up into sectors.

Similarly, and perhaps even more useful is Aneela McKenna’s offering in Markus Stitz’ Great British Gravel Rides. Her Mor Tweed Valley Gravel route would be well worth a look for you.

I can also second the recommendation for sourcing an e-bike at the Glentress Hotel.

mashr

Gypsy Glen is more than a Blue though. There are forest tracks to ride, but the descent is quite hard work at the top.

I reckon it fills the “dabble in reds” criteria. There are some rockier parts at the top, but it can all be bimbled down at a speed of the riders choosing. It’s the latter parts of the climb (and short section down to the gate, still on the climb) that I would imagine being the biggest challenge

hb1966
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Gypsy Glen is certainly of interest and merits further investigation.

Issue at the moment is finding an E-bike for my wife. The bike shop at Glentress arent responding to emails and the Glentress Hotel dont appear to have any Ebikes in small size.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think gypsy glen defo fits the bill.

For an alternative activity. Sup on loch of the Lowe’s is good fun and they are hiring out to the end of the month. And the water is warm enough to no be to worried about falling in.

10er an hour it’s a bargain.

muntz777
    Free Member

I am currently in Innerleithen having stayed at Glentress Hotel earlier this week. Hope to help somewhat!

We normally ride Blue and Green routes with the occasionaly foray onto a Red route but are happy to cycle anywhere not just at trail centres.

I would say give the red a go at GT, from Spooky Wood to Super G everything can be rolled on that side or offers a ride around and nothing is uber steep. The 2 mushroom trails are both more techy but naturally slower as on a ‘flatter’ part of the hill.

ive made contact with the bike shop there to enquire about hiring an E-bike.

Another vote for Glentress Hotel E-Bikes. Murray, owner, is an MTB’r and can help with recommendations for routes. Contact Glentress Hotel on f’book or call. They are literally at the bottom of the hill to the trails.

If cycling for long periods uphill is a concern, an e-bike is an absolute must.

Am i right in thinking Innerleithen is more downhill routes?

So I am told by locals here, yes. I have been recommended some ‘lower end’ stuff having ridden GT black as have been told its much steeper.

Edit: of piste* GT black

Ambrose

Gypsey Glen with an E Bike will be such fun. We rode it last year and decided that an Eeb would really enhance the experience.

We hired from Glentress Hotel, really friendly people. Mrs Ambrose is very short indeed and they had a bike to suit. We only rode in Glentress forest but the smaller battery the she had did not last the day. Perhaps be aware of this when hiring. We had a mechanical with a failing freehub on her bike too. The bike I hired was faultless.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.