Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Router/Network help needed
  • Nobby

For an IT numpty.

At home we have an increasing number of devices (Mac/NAS/IP CCTV/tablets/consoles/phones etc) attached to our router via wifi, cat5 & through power line adapters. Randomly, different devices simply get booted off the network whether they have static reserved IP addresses assigned or not.

A little homework seems to show it’s a simple case of the pretty awful generic ‘super router’ from Talktalk (yes, I know they’re shocking) not being able to handle more than 12 devices at a time. Is this the likely problem and, if so, what recommendations do folk have for a replacement?

A colleague has suggested a TP Link AC2800 but I thought I’d delve into the STW tech pool.

Edit: Sorry, meant to be in Chat – can it be moved please mods?

Bez

Is this a “recommend what you’ve got” thread? If so, my recent decision was a NetGear R7000P. Guest networks, filesharing, media server, iTunes server, Disney Circle parental controls, VPN, mobile apps for admin. I’m using our old ISP hub as the modem (which also allows an additional unfiltered network). The D7000 is similar if you need an integrated modem but doesn’t have Circle or Mu-MIMO (if you care). So far it seems to have performed well and was easy to set up. FWIW I had the TP Link VR900 v2 on my shortlist, too; my main priorities were isolated guest networks and easy parental controls so Circle tipped the balance.

Also in “recommend what you’ve got”: not TalkTalk 🙂

brassneck

If you’re not going to get too involved in it, any after market box by TP-Link or NetGear will do a perfectly good job of it. Have had some shockers as ‘free routers’. Not worth it in patience.

Nobby

Cheers chaps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Router/Network help needed’ is closed to new replies.