Home Forums Bike Forum Route planning apps…again…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Route planning apps…again…
  • donslow

Hey all, after several unsuccessful attempts at getting the right result, I’m looking for route planning apps, nothing too involved, have tried garmin, Komoot and wahoo offerings so thinking I might need to splash some cash for a better experience

long story short, at the basic end of things I’m after something automatic where I can pick a couple of waypoints, so start, middle and finish and then pick a preferred terrain so that I get off road / on road routes instead of following “popular routes” or heat maps which, from the above attempts, seems to be more on road / tarmac than anything

I’m gathering a subscription service is the way forward here, Any suggestions of apps / websites to look into without spending a small fortune?

experiences please…

lunge

Strava? I use it to do exactly as you describe.

donslow

I was wondering if Strava would be the answer here, would have been keen to try it but apparently I can’t have a free / discounted trial as I apparently used it in 2019 :-s

13thfloormonk

Strava probably the best of the lot but it still requires some user input, I doubt you’d get exactly the results you’ve described above.

I think they all depend on OpenStreetMap which in turn relies upon users to voluntarily go in and add tracks or update surfaces etc.

For instance, so much good singletrack around me is designated as ‘footpath’ on OSM and as such Strava won’t pick it up when routing, you would have to manually do so. Thankfully the heatmap at least makes it clear if the path is used, assuming people have ridden or walked it previously and uploaded to Strava at least…

I was trying to update OSM but recently it seems to have changed and I can’t crop GPX files to highlight new bits of track etc.

dknwhy

Komoot does this but like most, it relies on OSM data so only as good as what’s in the public domain. I choose “touring” as my route option which favours road and cycle network. Some cycle network routes might be tracks but generally it’s fine on a gravel/touring bike.

scotroutes

As above, everything uses the same underlying data (OSM) so just choose whichever UI you prefer.

I regularly use Komoot, Connect and the OS App.

I’ve updated OSM recently using a GPS Trace to outline the route. Seems to work same as it ever did for me.

* Crop GPX file

* Upload to OSM as a User Trace

* Draw track on OSM

* Confirm track junctions/joins are correct

* Update Tags/Permissions

* Save

Jamz
    Free Member

I don’t think you can really get what you’re after for off road use because OSM data is insufficient with regards rights of way – many are missing. Best I have found is to cross reference Strava heatmaps with an OS map and plan accordingly. Otherwise you’re in for a magical mystery tour down any old track/path in the area.

zilog6128

Strava. Heatmaps are extremely useful for off-road trails as you can be reasonable certain that the more popular it is, the more rideable it is! Sometimes have to either use manual mode though or set the activity type to “run” as it seems dis-inclined to use footpaths otherwise ;)

Marko

Outdoor Active.

Tried most but OA has OS Maps (and IGN). Snaps to BW and paths + voice guidance. Can be a bit flaky with the snap function, but dead easy to switch to point to point.

Plot on the phone, but use your PC/laptop for the bigger picture. ‘Where’s the path’ is still great for an overview

Where’s the Path

jameso

Cycle.net is great for easy planning.

Ridewithgps is best for getting into detailed route creation ime and it can do point to point pretty well also, using the OSM Cycle map layer there helps (and check it’s routing for cycling).

Both are free.

matt_outandabout

I find any routing ‘crowd sourced’ pretty poor. This is between poor algorithms (see: Komoot won’t suggest routes that are less used, so don’t suggest things on smaller islands or new cycle routes) and poor user input (how many routes are created by holidaymakers without local knowledge?). Combine the two and it can be awful.

IMO get your own head around local places and spaces and use one or two apps such as OS and Strava heatmap to puzzle your own routes, using a dose of judgement.

On holiday, ask locals or on here. Then use same process above.

13thfloormonk

@Scotroutes

I was hoping you would post! So presuming I export a gpx of a ride from Strava, how do I crop it? Am sure this was OSM functionality that now doesn’t exist?

Ta

mrl

Fatmap is good as you get proper OS maps. About to be integrated into Strava. I am fearing the worst and all the good functions disappear. I find current Strava pretty much useless for off road.

bens
    Free Member

Another shout for Outdoor Active here.

You set your route type – MTB, Road, Gravel, Walking etc and plot your route. For Example, if you select mountain biking, it will prioritise bridleways over footpaths or roads. If you set it to walking, it’ll choose footpaths over roads or tracks etc.

It does snap to track so you set a route type (above), pick a start point and then you’re next waypoint and it will draw the route along the bridleway (or whatever).

The paid version is £26.99/ year and gives you access to OS maps down to 1:25k. The free version gives you OSM so you can play around with it before splashing any cash.

You can import/ export GPX files and do a whole load of other stuff.

For planning routes, it ain’t perfect but it’s the best thing I’ve used. The navigation function is pretty good too. It does turn by turn nav and has voice guidance off road if that’s you’re cup of tea.

It also has an overlay feature where it highlights popular routes. You can choose to show MTB or Walking or whatever and it overlays popular sections onto which ever base map you’ve selected. If you choose the MTB overlay and look at somewhere like Surrey Hills on the OS map, it shows you most of the main trails even though there’s no trail on the map. It sill gives you a yellow line to show there is actually a trail there.

dander

I use a combo of strava for the heat map and segments and OS app to plan off-road routes. Strava is terrible for plotting routes off road. Once route is saved on OS app I download the gpx and upload to strava which then syncs to garmin.

BlobOnAStick

Cycle.Travel (no dot com or dot uk or nuffink)

Best route planning I’ve ever used. It’s the opposite of Google Maps / journey planner. It prioritises quiet roads over busy ones. Only issue is sometimes it’ll take you on a 5-mile detour to avoid 200 yards on an A-road.

Most easy load to Wahoo bike computer ever (download your route as a GPX file to your iPhone, send it to Wahoo)

I’m still getting used to the app – it’s set up to act as a satnav but I’ve not used it like that yet…..

Edit: I should say there are route options you can set ‘any’, ‘paved’ or ‘gravel’ but if you’ve selected two points then it’s likely to be majority road around here….

scotroutes

@13thfloormonk – I’d usually crop it in something like Basecamp but you don’t really need to. When you upload the GPX file, it isn’t added to the OSM data, it’s just something you use to “trace” over within the editor. Once you’ve done that you can go back and delete the GPX file as it’s no longer needed.

Longarmedmonkey

We used cycle.travel to get through the the Baltics states. It was great – prioritised the Eurovelo and quiet roads. If you ‘buy a coffee’ for the developer you can download GPX or push to Garmin etc.

llama

What don’t you like about Komoot?

Certainly does what you say you want, sometimes oddly, they all make odd choices though, you really need to review / modify.

supernova

Cycle.travel is a good place to start for longer route suggestions, Strava heatmaps for shorter ones.

For editing gpx files you can’t beat plotaroute.com – the editing tools are excellent.

timmys

Strava heatmap to see what’s actually ridden (filter by ride/mountain/gravel as desired).

Plot manually on OS map (app on iPad or website).

Export as gpx to smallest Garmin available so you don’t look like some lone-wolf prepper with a great big screen on your bars.

donslow

Thanks all, certainly a few things to chew on

have downloaded outdoor active so will give that a whirl,

considering subscribing to Strava and / or OS maps for a month and seeing what it’s like

nothing wrong with Komoot as such, I’ve just never manage to eek an off road route out of it and it doesn’t suggest any within about 70 miles of where I am

zilog6128

Fatmap is good as you get proper OS maps. About to be integrated into Strava. I am fearing the worst and all the good functions disappear.

yes I believe Fatmap is due to be shut down next month, and then (you assume) Strava will get the OS maps, etc. Interested to see how/if they actually implement it though!

donslow

That’s interesting, might be worth holding off subbing until that all goes ahead then?!

littlerob

TBH I wouldn’t trust a route-planning app. Following all the recommendations above I just had a look at cycle.travel for a route I’m doing on Sunday (already planned) and not only does it take me on a path that isn’t a right of way, streetview shows its blocked with a gate, and strava heatmaps shows that not one single person has ever logged it on a ride.

I use a combination of (in the UK):

bing.com/maps for the OS overlay – to get the rights of way.
    google maps/streetview to see what it looks like.
    strava heatmaps to see if anyone is using it.
    gpx.studio to create a GPX for putting onto a Garmin.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.