Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roof racks: why are they so blimmin complicated?
  • GrahamS

Six different ways they can attach to a car.

A dozen bar types with different ways of mounting accessories / bike racks to them.

It’s just some clamps and a couple of metal bars FFS.
    Why does it need to be so complicated?

Couldn’t car manufacturers and roof rack people get together and decide on some kind of universal standard??

Don’t make me write to my MP!

Anyways, minor rantette aside, where’s cheapest to buy a rack?
    I’m looking at http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/ any other suggestions.

I guess eBay is an option.

McHamish
    Free Member

Couldn’t car manufacturers and roof rack people get together and decide on some kind of universal standard??

Not sure I’d want all cars to look the same.

DezB
    Free Member

He means like bike companies do

GrahamS

Not sure I’d want all cars to look the same.

Well no, but is there is good reason why they can’t design a clamp system which at the very least works with “roof rail”, “flush roof rail”, “T-track” and “Fixpoint” style mounts?

richmtb

I thought Thule aero bars and 591 carriers were the defacto standard.

votchy
    Free Member

The car accessory business is a $3 billion a year industry in the USA alone, a standard would deny car manufacturer’s a slice of that pie as many people buy accessories from the dealerships when they buy a new car

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I avoided all this by getting some 2nd hand roof bars + fixings that some had removed from an identical car to mine on ebay.

GrahamS

a standard would deny car manufacturer’s a slice of that pie

Sadly I think that might be a big part of it. Be nice if the could sell that stuff via “added value” (i.e. maybe styled to match car and body work) rather than just semi-proprietary standards.

I thought Thule aero bars and 591 carriers were the defacto standard.

Mighty pricey option though.

£166 for the aerobars + feet + fixpoint adapters before you even think about the cycle carriers.

Meanwhile basic steel Cruz roofbars are £54.

daveob
    Free Member

As said, aero bars with T track!

spacemonkey

Just run through the spec designer on Roofbox then give them a call if you have any questions. Decent people.

crankboy
    Free Member

Try the crossways ones sold by FIAT for the panda there is no roofbox compatable with them.

kcal

roofbox are good folk, Graham. They have a scheme where if you quote a customer ref, the existing customer gets a voucher. Sadly I can’t recall my ref!

They were very good and talked me through roof bar, roof box options, also a tow bar rack. All have been excellent.

superlurch
    Free Member

If they’re for a 52 Astra I’m your man…

GrahamS

Sorry superlurch, 57-plate Ford Focus hatchback. Thanks anyway.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it gets worse if you do what i did recently and strip one of the threads in the roof mounting point… 😆

oops.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roof racks: why are they so blimmin complicated?’ is closed to new replies.