Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • rockshox judy xl paint job help
  • cutter
    Free Member

ok just got me old judys out from under the stairs , they are immaculate like bran new immaculate appart from the lowers the original paint is a bit scratched up n flakey,
    so im wanting to dissmantle them and have the lowers painted, but im unshure about what can be fone to them as they are magnesium? or magnesium alloy??
    snd ive heard that heat during painting or powder coating can damage or react with the magnesium??
    also i planned on stripping the paint and getting them ready gor new paint before i hand them over to the painter, but ive also heard that i should be carefull. ehen dtripping paint from magnesium/ mag alloy what ever they are??
    do can any one with knowledge or experience please give me some input??
    cheers

cutter
    Free Member

anybody ???????

jonk

Stripping the paint using a “dip” means you have to renew the bushings which you wont be able to get anymore. The best thing with these forks is to either have them blasted or use nitromors or just key the paint on them and either use rattle cans or take them to a car body shop to be painted.

cutter
    Free Member

what if i took the bushings n all out first? i will be getting a profesional painter to do the paint work, if i strip the pain myself could i use standard nitromors or not?, what would happen if i kept them raw? would they go funny because of the magnesium? and is is magnesium or magnedium alloy?? i dont know, but some ine said dont powdercoat it? why tho?

cutter
    Free Member

??

cutter
    Free Member

still got no idea what to do like

cutter
    Free Member

**** it ive commenced painting them myself after 3hours of sanding snd de greasing priming is now done with a wet sand between every 2 coats of primer , one more wet sand tomorow then bosh the white gloss will be going on,
    after all the messing about trying to decide weather to powdercoat (glad i diddnt attempt) or professional paint job, im glad i did it myself it made me remember how good i was/am at it, these forks will look better than the day i bought them,

cutter
    Free Member

i would put sum pics on but cant seem to do it on a iphone

njee20
    Free Member

these forks will look better than the day i bought them,

A low benchmark indeed!

Euro
    Free Member

They’ll start looking grubby very quickly if you don’t put tonnes of lacquer on them. I mean tonnes. Good quality stuff too. But if you’ve done this before then you’ll already know that. And pics please…

cutter
    Free Member

A low benchmark indeed!!!!
    knob head these were nice forks and still are still better than many forks these days,
    can someone tell me how can i put pictures on here, usin a i phone

njee20
    Free Member

Charming. I’m gonna respectfully disagree with you on the fact that they’re better than anything but the worst modern forks!

You need to host them online at Flickr or similar and link to them from there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘rockshox judy xl paint job help’ is closed to new replies.