Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rock Lobster 853 or On One Inbred???
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

Looking for a new HT frame, I have an FS but fancy building up a HT for rides that don’t justify FS but also to abuse in winter grit and grime. Riding mainly on the north york moors and the odd trail center.

I’m thinking steel as I find the ride very harsh on my current alloy GT frame.

Other suggestions welcome, idealy around the £200 mark.

Thanks Stuart

brant
    Free Member

RL do an 853 frame for £200?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Frame is £300 but currently has 30% off, bringing the price down to £210.

smiffy

RL quite a bit lighter, too.

Keva
    Free Member

I switched from a 16in inbred to a 15in rock lobster earlier this year. Rock Lobster is great fun to ride, bit shorter in the top tube too.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Rock Lobster is a great bike for the money, having lots of fun on mine.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rock Lobster is more ‘XC’, and designed for a 100mmish fork (I run Rebas at 115mm on mine; no problems).

Frame is not as ‘long’ as an On-One; my 15″ frame has an effective top tube of 22 1/4″, I think the On-one in a corresponding size is 1/2″ longer?

I can’t comment on the On-One, but I love my Lobster. I think the geometry is spot on, for me, and it rides really well. I was very impressed actually, as I din’t expect a ‘cheapish’ frame to be this good. The details like the ring-reinforced headtube, Ritchey dropouts and forward facing seat clamp are all really nice touches. The welds seem pretty good, and it is a nicely made frame.

I’m light, at 9 1/2stone, and find the frame very comfy. It’s made of the lighter end of the 853 tubing, as far as I am aware, so if you’re a bit of a biffer, or want something a bit more ‘hardcore’, then maybe not the ideal frame.

At £210, it’s a no-brainer, if you think it’s the right frame for you. That’s a ridiculous bargain. I’d buy it in a flash; mine cost £400 inc a Reba Team fork; I just coon’t not have it!

Fantastic bike, I love it:

philjunior
    Free Member

Both are pretty nice, remember that the inbred is designed to run a longer seatpost so you’ll want a size smaller than normal.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

After having both I would go for a lobster if you are a lighter weight rider and wanting something a bit more XC. If you are a heavy rider and maybe want a bit more of a bury build then maybe an inbred. I reckon the Lobster is better value though at £210 than the Inbred which I think is a bt pricey now for what it is (an heavy XC frame or a low travel hucker)

fatboyslim
    Free Member

I’m exactly in the same dilema as wharfdale, however i was looking at the on one 456 Summer Season RAW. Can some one who rides a on one write a post/review of their steed.

at 6 foot and 14 stone, on one size guide recommends an 18 inch frame, I do ride very aggresively DH and rather slowly but surely uphill and ride around Bristol and the trail centres in South Wales, would others agree with the size guide?

Will now have to check out the rock lobsters.

Cheers

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I’m 13 stone and tend to ride red routes at places like Dalby, Glentress etc. Will the RL be strong enough of those kinds of routes?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Plenty strong enough.

Big up and nuff respect to the Tiny Rock Lobster Massive!

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m 13 stone and tend to ride red routes at places like Dalby, Glentress etc. Will the RL be strong enough of those kinds of routes?

I’m almost 13 stone and give mine its fair share of abuse.
    Lovely bike, nice little details like mentioned above, and the red finish on current frames is bootiful.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I cant complain about my RL, ace frame for the money. I’m 6.4″ and 15 stone and its coped very well with no problems at all, I obviously went for a large size….

theotherjonv

RL853 at that price.

I’m ‘quite a bit over’ 13st and mines been hacked around all sors of stuff with no issues.

Only downside is that paint is not the best, but you can thrash it and then recoat in colour of your choice fo another £40 in another 18mo time if you like, which is what I did and since then, it’s bombproof.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I reckon they should make a 29er lobster 853.

ajf
    Free Member

red finish is great! Went out for a ride with a guy on a red steel and me on my black aluminium.

Got to say that mine looked faster (black is always faster!) but his looked more pimp! The finish on the red paint is so much better.

Not sure how it rides, but if the alu one is anything to go by it will be a brilliant bike.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Agreed, I’d snap up a 29’ner version

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Right orderer a 15″ 853 8)

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Do I need to ask Merlin to face the disc mounts and bottom bracket?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Frame has turned up 8)

Looks the mutts nuts. Starting to worry I might like this bike more than my new stumpy fsr expert 😳

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Did you get it faced?

Clink

Doubt Merlin will do a 29er version 🙁 I’ve asked them about building me some 29er wheels on several occasions with no luck

devs
    Free Member

I’ve got both now. Not ridden the RL yet. Will let you know.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Seth, Yeah got the frame faced. Merlin did it for free.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I cant complain about my RL, ace frame for the money. I’m 6.4″ and 15 stone and its coped very well with no problems at all, I obviously went for a large size….

ricochet_rob did you get a 19″ or a 21″, i’m same as you by the sounds of it but not sure what frame size to get. Thanks

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rock Lobster 853 or On One Inbred???’ is closed to new replies.