• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RobotBike R130 – I borrowed one :)
  • Alex

Recently returned from STW and Will is sure to do a fine job reviewing the bike properly.

I really like what Ed and the guys do at RobotBike and I’ve been looking for a bike that’s a cross between my Mojo3 and my Smuggler with some decent tyre clearance. The Mojo is useless and the smuggler only a bit less useless.

They are both fine bikes tho so  it’s a tough job to find something that makes me think I need another one!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HAmAZp]RobotBikeCo R130 demp[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/269MCRh]RobotBikeCo R130 demp[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I’ve only ridden it 27km so far in perfect conditions in the FoD on trails I know well. It’s a very fast bike though even if I’m not. Got a couple of PRs which considering I’ve ridden those trails 100+ times is going some. Not by much but I’ll take it!

What I like

– As I said the whole ethos behind Robotbike and the guys who started it

– DW Link suspension. Like my Mojo only with clearance! Brilliant for seated climbing, great platform descending and seems to just dig grip out of the ground

– The way this thing turns. It’s so direct and ‘pointy’. Really very different to what I’ve had before.

– Looks. Some people don’t like it. I think it’s a perfect blend of form and function

What I’m not so sure about

– Reach. Might be a tad short for me. Still if I buy one, I’ll just add a bit 🙂

– Magic Mary on the rear. Draggy and I don’t need that much tyre out back.

– Price not because I think it’s a rip off at all. Amazing what you get for your money in terms of machining, skill, design, etc but it’s still a big chunk.

I’m going to ride it two or three times more before as Ed generously let me have it until next week.  I’ll stick something fast rolling on the rear and hope my legs are a bit less useless tomorrow.

TLDR; read the STW review when it comes out, I know nothing. But what a fantastic bike that is. It’s going to be a good weekend 🙂

hot_fiat

you lucky, lucky $£%£!

Enjoy!

AlexSimon

How many bikes have you had since we bought the Aeris at roughly the same time!

You know I’m a fan of straight tubes and those Robot bikes do appeal. Good luck to them!

(still loving the Aeris)

Alex

Hardly any.  Well for me. Kept the Aeris until this time last year,  I’ve had the Mojo3, (now sold) Cotic FlareMax and the Smuggler.  I’m not under any illusion that changing bikes is going to make me a better rider 🙂

honourablegeorge

Nice. Always been keen to have a go on one of those – especially that 160mm one Paul Aston reviewed for PinkBike that was built up with the Mojo Nicolai geometry. It was even in my size.

roverpig

Very nice. Magic Mary on the rear sounds as though it’s set up for winter though.

nickc

I think it looks really interesting, would love to have a go on it.

Alex

MM is getting swapped out for a part worn ardent or more likely a lightly scuffed DHF before tomorrows ride. Suspension probably need a tweak as well but was a bit impatient for a ride.

It’s certainly interesting to ride. Works better the faster you go.  Good to have it for three different types of rides. I might thread it through the orange demo in the FoD tomorrow 🙂

honourablegeorge

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Alex
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

MM is getting swapped out for a part worn ardent or more likely a lightly scuffed DHF before tomorrows ride.

</div>
    Different brands? URGH

Alex

I know I know. But for testing, I’ll just tape over it 🙂 I do have a hans damf but I don’t like those much either!

honourablegeorge

Aye, no big fan of them either

roverpig

I’m loving the rock razor on the back of the FlareMax, with MM up front, if that’s any help 🙂

Are those chainstays even shorter than the Smuggler? Also what reach have you got at the moment? Presumably it’s their recommended one.

Alex

Yeah that’s the std large. It’s a bit shorter than the smuggler. Not sure of CS length, it changes directly very quickly tho. It did feel short when I started riding it but by the end I wasn’t noticing it. Good to be able to have it a few days to make my mind up.

I’m gong to stick on whatever spare I can get my hands on.  Right now you could run a semi slick here, it’s so dry!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Apologies if I missed it. What size is the frame and how tall are you. I appreciate everything is available as a custom option.

Edit – both replied at same time. I’m on the blackberry tonight it is a mare

Alex

That’s a standard Large. I’m 5ft11 with long body and short legs. Loads of standover for me, might just be able to squeeze a 170mm dropper in as standard (not a reverb) or certainly a bike yoke 160mm. That’s a very nice build on the demo. It’s pretty light, probably similar to the Mojo3.

If I remember I’ll weight it but I know Robotbikes build them to last not for lightness.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RobotBike R130 – I borrowed one :)’ is closed to new replies.