Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member

Got the description…

Worksop Guardian

Am a bit worried i’ll get stopped now !,i live in Worksop with the same bike !,only wi black fox 36’s…agh well,@ least the plod are doing there job if i get stopped eh !..hope they get the feckers..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Got the description.

Hoody, shell suit trews and trainers.

That ain’t going to narrow the search, is it?

mattboyslim
    Free Member

binners – Member
    You want to put CCTV in is what is effectively the countryside, on the strength of one person having their bike nicked?

Rother Valley Country Park is not countryside. It’s surrounded by housing estates.
    Cheers for the helpful comment though

It would be in the park’s interest to invest in some level of security to give it’s visitors some peace of mind. I know I won’t be in a rush to get down there

teamslug
    Free Member

Re: Top cap tracker. Looks like you can arm it by texting it from your phone. Would have to wait til it ‘woke up’ to detect that and from then would alert you evertime bike was moved.
    I’ve e-mailed them just to see if they would offer discount for 10/20/30 units

mattboyslim
    Free Member

And Binners, if you’d bothered to read all the thread and maybe do a little research before making **** comments you’d realise the thefts have been ongoing at Rother Valley and the surrounding areas for decades, not just a one off as you wrongly claim

piha
    Free Member

Terrible experience you’ve had there 14gg and I hope you get over it OK.

I really hope your local police force put some resources into catching the miscreants as if they get away with it this time, they may well be tempted to try it again. The next time it might end up with someone being hurt.

binners

CCTV is not a practicable answer to a crime like this though is it?

last year somebody posted up on here a description of a bike they’d had nicked. I saw some little scrote riding it out of the local Asda, so contacted the police with the time and location. My assumption being that as it was on CCTV they could ID them.

The police checked the footage and said it was so poor quality, they couldn’t possibly ID the thief. Which was gutting!

And do you really think it’d stop them anyway. They’d put their hoodies up and move location slightly. The only logical extension would be to CCTV the whole country

I’m not looking for an argument. Just pointing out the obvious issues and limitations that it isn’t a solution. But do feel free to carry on wading into me though. You’re obviously on some indignant roll 🙄

deadkenny
    Free Member

Been concerned that this kind of thing is going to occur the more expensive bikes there are out there, and really the one place they’re not secured is on the trail other than from yourself riding or holding onto it.

This article was interesting on the reasons why bike theft is so prominent even though they are relatively a poor return, even for the expensive bikes, compared to other forms of theft – http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/30393216796/what-happens-to-stolen-bicycles

To summarise, the reason is simply that it’s one of the lowest risk forms of theft.

But this though! Aggrevated robbery. That elevates it from the regular ‘nothing will be done about it’ bike theft to a serious crime. That places it at a much higher risk surely and they’d likely get less for the bike as they’d be keen to offload it quick, so rather pointless.

In which case hopefully they don’t see much value in doing it.

mattboyslim
    Free Member

I’m curious what your practicable answer is?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I wonder if you could invent some kind of detonating tire valve, where you send it an SMS or bluetooth signal if close enough and it fails, flattening the tires instantly. Might be useful in grab-and-ride situations like this.

Or better yet fails the brakes.

andywoods
    Free Member

top cap isnt the only gps system you can get one for pets fits onto their collar. small enough to fit inside bars or stem? but why should we have too, why are we the ones having to fork out for the protection of our own property?…. once caught should be shipped in shell suit and trainers to north pole and left to fend for themselves

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They clearly had no understanding of quality MTBs though, stealing an Orange 5 FFS

Genius!! 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

wonder if you could invent some kind of detonating tire valve, where you send it an SMS or bluetooth signal if close enough and it fails, flattening the tires instantly. Might be useful in grab-and-ride situations like this.

Or better yet fails the brakes.

Liking this, maybe it could jettison the front QR?

ocrider

Liking this, maybe it could jettison the front QR?

Exploding lawyer tabs (for older models) or an ejecting/intruding seatpost ftw!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stopped going to RVCP ages ago, used to windsurf there but became so paranoid about the safety of the van while I was out on the water it took away all the pleasure – Sunday turned into a Chavfest as they hooned around in all sorts of Corsa/Clio/Nova derivatives.

There were so many ways in for a scooter/trail bike from the far side it would be incredibly hard to police. CCTV not an option, rangers perhaps, but if they are carrying big knives who would be daft enough to challenge them.

Can plod set them up or does that become entrapment?

project
    Free Member

There was a show on tv a few years ago where they booby trapped cars and bikes, cars filling with smoke etc or foam, and bikes seting of smoke flares as far as i can remember.

As for protection, a can of deoderant squirted towards them at face level,works well or wd 40, all legal and easily purchased, and you where defending yourself, or oiling your bike or just smelling good for the new freind.

Tere is going to be a lot more cases of this for the next few weeks as the ones who can read will see it as an easy way to make some cash.

binners

Matt – I don’t know about you, but if people are being held up at knife-point then I’d hope the police would be considering a bit more robust response than a couple of CCTV cameras, to be honest. That’s proper scary shit!!!

mattboyslim
    Free Member

Yeah, but what exactly?

mattboyslim
    Free Member

And even if the police do show a more robust response, how long do you think that will last?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They must be desperate people to risk life imprisonment for a bike
    Are you for real? It’s not a “bike”.

@Coyote: They threatened him with a deadly weapon. If he had fought, he might have been murdered. If you threaten with a deadly weapon you risk life imprisonment – for a bike you might fence for a few hundred quid.

That’s desperate IMO

mattboyslim
    Free Member

Dan Draper just posted on the ThisISheffield facebook saying he knows who stole your bike

Superficial
    Free Member

I would have endo-smashed the knife out of their hands. Mind you, I’ve had inspiration.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Je3HMbL3pas/

Obviously, glad you’re OK etc, will keep my eyes peeled for the bike.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

superficial you diamond…i have been looking for that for ages
    🙂

cuckoo
    Free Member

Glad you are OK, will look out for the bike

fizzicist
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re OK. I had a similar (but less severe) experience years ago (Raleigh Activator…..) and to be fair, as soon as they knew a weapon was involved, the Police were around within a few hours and ID’d the shit that nicked it. They even recovered the bike.

Sadly my mother was too Christian to press charges on the c**t.

shaun68
    Free Member

I saw these scumbags just after this happened!
    I was just about leaving the car park near Grant and McAllin with my son on our bikes.
    I saw the motorbike with two people on it and their faces covered, and then a couple of minutes later I saw your bike being rode by a young lad, with hoody pulled around his face. I said to my son that I should go after them but, he didn’t want me too, I do actually feel racked with guilt that I didn’t call the police, but I have since called them on the number you supplied and an hopefully seeing them later today!
    Just for your information they came over the railway and then turned right onto the track before the stile heading towards Beighton.
    One other point, one person said that they would head to Chesterfield, this I find very unlikely, as once you head up to to Beighton there are a network of tracks (which I have ridden) taking you up to Richmond, and the manor, if you know this area it is ridden with thieves, druggies and lots of low lives! If you live here and aren’t one I’ll apologize now!

boltonjon

Mattboyslim – and word about the scrote who nicked it??

mattboyslim
    Free Member

As I said, the ThisISheffield Facebook group posted about the attack and a guy called Dan Draper replied sayin he knows who stole it. He said message him for names. I looked on his profile on my phone but ‘message’ was greyed out so left him a reply saying ‘name and shame’

14gg

shaun68 – thank you for your post and contacting the police, its really appreciated. I’m glad you didn’t approach them – your son was bang on and probably wise beyond his years! Just to give everyone an update, the police have been in touch today to say they have once again had a search team along the TPT and have found some of my stuff including my car key and my favourite Lezyne multi tool! So thats good – just hope they get the offenders. Thanks to everyone for your support, it feels good to know that even though we aren’t in an actual MTB club and even if we don’t all ride together as a club, it feels like we do. Some of you have even managed to cheer me up a bit as well.

djflexure

a little good news

thorpie
    Free Member

Three 16yr old males have been arrested and bailed for this Robbery, I’m sure the victim will update us in due course with any further info!

Trevor.

diawl2
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but how on Earth do you get bail after being arrested for robbing someone at knifepoint!!??

eyerideit
    Free Member

Basically it’s because the system is a bit broken and the sh1tbags that do this kind of thing have too many rights. They’ll get a slap on the wrist and a few hours of community service and then be free to do it all again.

More importantly was the bike recovered?

binners

Excuse my ignorance but how on Earth do you get bail after being arrested for robbing someone at knifepoint!!??

The prisons are full, basically. And despite the fiery rhetoric from politicians, they know they can’t afford to build any more either. The scumbags are very very aware of this. And know full-well that short of murdering someone, they’ll be straight out on bail and will probably end up with a community service order. Which they’ll then ignore

Junkyard
    Free Member

beacuse the legal system removes vengencance from it’s deliberations in an attempt to seek justice.

Charged with an offence does not mean you are guilty – should everyone charged by banged up when they are all still innocent

i could go on but the hang em high lobby dont care

OP glad you are unhurt, glad someone has been charged and I hope you get your bike back and get back out there on the trails.

duckman

Charged with an offence does not mean you are guilty – should everyone charged by banged up when they are all still innocent

True; but the nature of what is going to be laid at their door left me rather suprised that they did get bail.Even if the slate is wiped cleam when they turn 16.

Happy end would be the recovery of the bike; any news from the OP?

smiff
    Free Member

really hope this doesn’t become more common, the drive by bike robbery. this is what’s worried me when riding alone, more than having stuff nicked from home. that rhymed. having a bike without a recognisable name might help, or is it just “oooh shiny”, in which case i’m f***ed.

OP you sound pretty cool i’d be very unhappy with that. never been robbed touch wood, know plenty of people who’v had phones etc nicked.. some of them still don’t like to talk about it.

binners

Unfortunately a lot of scrotes are rather adept at the instant valuation. They clock you riding past and you can see them doing the mental calculations of how much it will fetch on Gumtree/Ebay/Down the pub

simonm
    Free Member

Good news on getting them. Did the Op get bike back ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park’ is closed to new replies.