Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park

Home Forum Bike Forum Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park
  • Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

Shocking story. Really sorry to hear but glad you are okay (physically at least).

Will the bike be covered by insurance?

rogerthecat

Blimey chap, good to hear you are ok, a bike can be replaced.
    Best of luck getting your bike back.

Effin hell mate, thats naughty. Hope your’e ok & get some results from the feds.

Premier Icon boltonjon
    Subscriber

Thats the worse robbery i’ve seen on STW – glad your OK and hope the police take this one a bit more seriously than the usual house break-in and bike theft

traildemon1

Shocking story. Glad you’re ok mate.

Premier Icon 154hopperavenue
    Subscriber

You’re in one piece and that’s all that matters. Easy for people to talk about fighting back and the like, most don’t. And whatever you do, don’t beat yourself up that you didn’t (if you’ll pardon the pun). No bike is worth the risk.

Hope you’re ok and that the police get somewhere.

All the best

GregMay

Wowsa…that is horrible. New bikes can be bought, lives not so much. At least you are ok.

theendisnigh

fight back? against 3 blokes with a rambo knife? Unless you are in a hollywood film you don’t fight back.

M6TTF

Shocking. Amazed at the lengths thieves are prepared to go to

Nasty story- Hope they catch the low lifes. Doesn’t sound like a one-off sort of thing, I imagine they’ll have another go with someone else.

I don’t know the trail- were you out in the hills away from the towns or was it easily accessible? (Just wondering how the 3 guys would have got out there)

PrinceJohn

As bad & horrific as that is I wonder if they would’ve actually stabbed you or just beaten you. Odd thing to wonder I know & I’m glad you’re ok.

andeh

I’ll keep an eye out! I’ve informed the other locals too via the Facebook.

Hope you’re not too shaken up! Really horrible story. The lengths people will go to for, what will likely be, a few hundred quid in the end. Appalling!

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Crap that’s bad. Which leg of the TPT was it on? (For non locals it isn’t a straight trail, more of a network all with the same name, utterly useless when you come to a four way junction and you get all labelled TPT, three with same alleged destination, grrr.)

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

If they are prepared to do what they did for a bicycle then they have nothing to lose, unlike you who I am sure has a life worth living. Fighting back is not worth the risk. You did the right thing with no other choice.

As for them what a bunch of utter utter *@?!$ I hope they get caught and spend a longtime inside.

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

I’m in Worksop which isn’t too far from Rother Valley – I’ll keep an eye out this way – glad you are ok

nick1962

Shocking and glad you’re alive to tell the tale.You did the right thing.
    Hope the gutless criminal sh*ts get what’s coming to them.
    They clearly had no understanding of quality MTBs though, stealing an Orange 5 FFS 😉

lucien

Unbelievable – how can you protect yourself against that? That’s grim, hope you find the low life and get the bike back

user-removed

Crumbs! I’ve had a few battles in my time but there’s no way I’d tackle anyone with a big knife – you absolutely did the right thing.

Really hope they get them. Robbery with a knife should have the police pretty interested. Have yourself a stiff drink.

mattboyslim

**** sake. I was there this eve hammering in a King of the Mountain time on the new DH section. Only live up the road but I’m not feeling in a rush to get back down there.
    Which part of the TPT was this on, and what time?

14gg

Today I had my pride and joy stolen at knife point by three thugs who forced me off the trail and took my bike , phone, bag etc whilst holding a rambo style knife to my throat. I didn’t think I would let it go without a fight but in the end I did – life being more important than a bike. If anyone is offered one, its a 2012 Orange 5 Pro from All Terrain Cycles, its in a 20″ and has kashima coatings on forks and shock. Its in mandarin orange colour and has a Geax tyre on the front and a Maxis advantage rear. Rotherham CID are dealing with it and they can be contacted on 01709 832263

reedspeed

Kinnell !,that’s awefull hope you’re ok fella ??,sounds like my bike too ..I’m only 20 mins from there too !,I Hate these sort of people with a passion ..don’t they have cameras there ??..

eyerideit

The utter sh1tbags, I hope you get your bike back.

Taff

That’s awful. Hope they catch the scum and that you get your bike back

Premier Icon Mal-ec
    Subscriber

Hope you are OK. Take advantage of any counseling offered through victims support.

excitable1

Bit weird, I was thinking about this the other day after I read about the break in through the garage roof again. Given that the scum bags have obviously been following people around back to their homes I figured it was only a matter of time before they started just nabbing the bikes straight off the rider. I fully expected it to be road bikes though, not up on a ferkin mountain bike trail.

This is getting serious now, I wonder how long it is going to before someone gets hurt. I am sure the Police will treat it as seriously as it needs to be. However, I do think the amount of obvious fraud and bike theft that these gangs have been allowed to get away with has given them the impetus to escalate their actions to this level.

excitable1

More importantly 14gg I sincerely hope you’re ok. Loads of support from everyone here if you need it.

tails

Wow! I’m shocked, glad you’re okay these guys need locking up! Hopefully Darwin will put an end to them. I probably should not be hocked as these bikes are worth sometimes £4k, but still! Really hope the police act on this nod start taking cycle theft more seriously. Stay safe pal.

14gg

For info for those wanting more detail it was opposite the water ski centre near the start of the TPT in broad daylight at 12.50 lunchtime! On the other side to the new DH track which I had gone there to ride…

nickhart

Man alive that’s horrible, I go there with the kids and bikes and that’d be the last thing id think would happen but I like others am glad you’re ok and will keep eyes and ears open. I work in Rotherham although it’s more probable it’s gone chesterfield way as there is loads of cut through paths going from that side of the pond.
    Fingers crossed you get some feed back or closure.

thepodge

That seriously sucks. glad you are ok other than mabe being shaken.

I’m on the other side of Sheffield so will keep an eye out.

We had a guy over this way (Bolehills) mugged for his bike and within 24 hours he had it back and the “perps” were in the police station so hopefully this will follow a similar story.

I do wonder on the idea of putting new bike trails in slightly iffy places, this DH track in Rother Valley & the new one up by the ski village, hardly the best areas to be encouraging people to bring their thousands of pounds of bikes to.

I can see a new thread “What pepper spray for inner city riding”

simonm

I hope the police are treating this with the seriousness it deserves.
    Its always been one of my feers as scum realise the value of bikes, besides a car, what else do you carry around that’s worth 3, 4, 6k ?

Other night on a local estate near me I went a long way out of my way to avoid a group ahead in the road that I just didn’t trust.

Britains a great place to live now isn’t it !

creamegg

I always thought how long will it be before the scum starts mugging people on the trails. Hope your ok n they catch them

simonm

Ski village location has always worried me, went up there the other day, and some of its pretty remote / isolated for this kind of thing to happen

Premier Icon teamslug
    Subscriber

Thats a scary effing incident. I’m around the Barnsley area. I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

You have my support, it really sits on your mind afterwards, it’s a really horrible thing.

EDIT

I really hope you get your bike back. Good luck.

nmdbase

That is shocking, I’m glad you’re OK mate, at least you weren’t stabbed.

Horrible. Hope it doesn’t put you off. I also hope the cops pick them up. They must be desperate people to risk life imprisonment for a bike.

mattboyslim

I was there between 5.30 and 6.30. Heard a crosser. Was tempted to go for a ride over that side of the lake so I’m glad I didn’t now.
    I thought the money spent on the TPT had been to stop crossers getting onto it? There was a young lad robbed of his BMX in similar circumstances last month on the TPT near Killamarsh. I’ve emailed the Rother Valley MP with a link to this thread. He needs to know that his councils money on making the area ‘safe’ seems to be doing the world of good.

Ski Village / Parkwood springs crossed my mind lastnight too. As did pepper spray. Great minds eh?

duntstick

Is there a Mtb club possibly include it on their route for a while, maybe?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Robbery at knife point on Trans pennine trail Rother Valley Country Park’ is closed to new replies.