Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rob roy way?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Thinking of doing this next bank holiday, end of may, youth hosteling it for 1 or 2 nights.

Questions that spring to mind are:

Has anyone done the route, it is any good? if yes, what’s better, S to N, or N to S?

Or am i just better off making up a trail myself and meandering my way back to glasgow from pitlochry with a bit of research of good trails on the tinterweb, maybe taking in the comrie croft trails or something like that?

Anyhow, just a thought for next bank holiday so far, any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Not ridden or walked the RRW, but if you are thinking about making your own route, you could use bits of the Sustrans route (7 I think?) for linking sections too. It is similar to the RRW in parts.

If you decide to go further west than Comrie (i.e generally along the RRW route), there are some good trails around Dounans by Aberfoyle for a play around.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ta, will keep that in mind, going to start googlin this tonight and breaking down the route to see the options and investigate them.

StirlingCrispin

Is this the same as the Rob Roy Way that follows NCN 7?
    If so, the deviations are a lot better.

I took a bunch of mates on a similar route – on touring bikes – a year or two back, going via Glen Lyon, Loch Rannoch etc.
    Piccies here: https://picasaweb.google.com/stirlingcrispin/WorldTourOfScotland#

For off-roading, from Comrie you can do Glen Artney, from Lochearnhead -Glen Ample.

seosamh77
    Free Member

stirling, yes i think so, been looking at the walkers route on the os maps marked by the red diamond trail route, i think i will have to make up a better route, especially if you’ve done it on touring bikes, thanks for your suggestions 🙂

wallace1492
    Free Member

Done the Rob Roy Challenge a few times. Drymen to Callander is great on a bike, but a bit boggy in sections, mostly fire roads but look out for some single track down from the top, and there is some stuff in Loch Ard forest. The NCN7 from Callander to Killin is nice, but I did this last year on a road bike, so not “decent” MTB stuff. Glen Ample seems much better.

13thfloormonk

Nice bits along the way:

Following the banks of the River Leny, lots of very rooty, very sexy singletrack hanging over the river. Stank Glen on the shores of Loch Lubnaig has a surprisingly good descent back down (following the southern slopes of the glen down).

Glen Ample is a nice glen, with a good stiff (read very steep) climb into it, but I didn’t think much of the descent, some heinous waterbars.

You could consider veering west to Crianlarich, you could climb through Glen Kendrum and descend to Crianlarich, looks like a landrover track from about 650m, should be a good fast descent!

dugbee
    Free Member

Glen Almond West of Newton bridge is a good section to aim for, with alternative ways in or oot. How much luggage?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thanks all, great stuff, plenty to get me going here i think, but always open to more suggestions

As for luggage, as little as possible, the usual bike stuff plus change of clothes and just getting fed and watered at cafes and pubs along the way.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rob roy way?’ is closed to new replies.