Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rob Roy Way / Winter Misery Rides
  • tomd
    Free Member

Had a bash at the Rob Roy Way in a one-er yesterday (it goes from Dryem near Glasgow to Pitlochry). It didn’t really work out due to weather / lack of MTFU. Anyway, here’s a wee write up of it if anyone’s interested. It’s a good route, it would make a great ride in summer and there are options to add on some good mountain bike sections.

scotroutes

Not sure if you’re brave or bonkers 🙂 Sounds like you made the right decision by revising your route though.

I did most of the RRW last April – again partially thwarted by snow.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/04/making-connections.html

If I was doing it again, I’d go West-East as you did.

iainc

Nice one Tom 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

I did most of the RRW last April – again partially thwarted by snow.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/04/making-connections.html

If I was doing it again, I’d go West-East as you did.

I read your blog last year, one of the reasons I fancied giving it a go. Unfortunately ran out of 2013 so ended up doing it in December.

scotroutes

Yeah – I still have my bivvy-a-month to do and I’m running out of days!

FWIW, your semi-slicks idea should work well (most of the time). I was running Marathon Mondials and didn’t have a problem – well, not until I encountered the snow!

tomd
    Free Member

Yep I though they’d work out best on balance. The whole route is probably better suited to a cross bike (unless you do “detours”) but I’ll be riding the mtb at Strathpuffer so wanted to get time on that.

BoardinBob

I did the RRW from Aberfoyle to Loch Venachar about six weeks ago and it was mostly a boggy unrideable mess then. Must be hellish now.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Tom

Nice one buddy! Loving the fact that you still gave it a bloody good go. Chapeau! I think my fat bike may have been a better option though! 😉
    Missions like that are definitely fun if you are in the mood for them. Since swapping to MT91 boots, mini gaitors and waterproof trousers, rides like that just don’t have the misery factor they used too when you can still feel your feet at the end of the ride!

Cheers

Sanny

PS Keen to give it a whirl if you need another victim / company.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Bookmarked for reading later – thanks.

I’m slowly working on bits of the Scottish National Trail, and that uses the Rob Roy Way in parts, so this could be useful. I’m waiting until a dry weekend in late spring for this section though. 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

Sanny – definitely going have a bash at it again in late spring / early summer. Should be do-able in a day without too much stress if the conditions are OK. Robin is also up for having another go in better conditions. I’ll stick dates up next year. Probably same kind of idea, early start and last train back from Pitlochry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rob Roy Way / Winter Misery Rides’ is closed to new replies.