Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 521 total)
  • Roadies whats your average speed?
  • imnotverygood

Where have I ever claimed my average speed is >20mph

I don’t ‘train to it’, but it does seem to average itself out on the type of routes I do. I said I “aim for it”, if my average is 17mph and I’m 20 miles from home, I’d expect to make that up on the home leg..

😕

gatsby
    Free Member

Do you know what > means?

imnotverygood

Ah. I see. You’d expect to make up the average to 20.0mph, but not 20.1?

njee20
    Free Member

Care to explain what you even mean by that?

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone close this please.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s like a car crash that won’t stop happening.

Was it you that had a similar run in with surf mat a few years back njee?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

nah! its winning the internets

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve had various run ins over the years! Surf Mat, Discoduck and Moshi Monster all spring to mind.

I’ll admit I don’t tend to let things go, but i maintain I’ve been wholly civil throughout this. Just nice to have people back up their claims.

nah! its winning the internets[/quote]

😆 agreed! Much entertainment!

amedias
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

Racing Saturday, deffo not bothering to turn up if any of the STW road crew have signed up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Njee’s not an idiot. He’s just particular, as are you. Hence the issue.

theocb
    Free Member

I smell a rat.. I think it’s double log in.

njee20
    Free Member

Who do you reckon? Fairly convinced Gatsby isn’t mtbel, although the latter has made some very random contributions to this thread.

theocb
    Free Member

erm.. is that a double bluff, I was going for njee20 and gatsby being one and the same.. way too similar personalities to be 2 different folk. 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, no, I’m not him. We’re not similar either, I’m marginally less delusional. I’ve also not resorted to childish name calling.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Have we done the simple average speed test yet? (cos that’s what the original question was)

Gatsby 2015 -> 791 miles in 54:51 hours = 14.2mph avg.
    njee20 2015 -> 1,390 miles in 91:51 hours = 15.1 mph avg.

We have a winner!! 🙂
    And just for reference me 2015 -> 579.2 miles in 33:48 hours = 16.9mph 😀

(Which shows the dangers of strava stats, cos in reality I’m an order of magnitude slower than njee20)

saynotobasemiles
    Free Member

IanMunro take a bow. Njee and gatsby take a timeout or you won’t get any pudding 😈

epicyclo

So how are we working out these average speeds?

I’ve always worked on the total journey time including stops for tea and cake, relief stops, and pic opportunities.

njee20
    Free Member

General consensus was Strava averages as the benchmark, which are based on moving averages.

And yes, Ian, we did that! To be clear though it was never a competition between me and Gatsby!

oldgit
    Free Member

Clock on your mums kitchen wall.
    Sunday mate averaged 3+ mph faster than me on an organised ride. I finished over 1/2 Hour ahead. Started together.
    If STW formed a BC Affiliated club we’d reign supreme.

john_l
    Free Member

Most. Entertaining. Thread. Ever.

Kept me entertained for at least 2 train commutes (& that’s SouthernRail, so no mean feat)

Don’t stop.

BenjiM

Gatsby is a previous poster on here. Although I won’t say who unless he wants to himself.

vinnyeh

Njee, you little terrier!
    Just popped onto this thread, wondering what could keep such a tedious topic going for 11 pages. 🙂

senorj

Quality thread.keep it up. 😀
    fwiw- I don’t know/care what my average speed is.
    It would only make me feel even more inadequate after reading the last 11 pages…

njee20
    Free Member

Gatsby is a previous poster on here. Although I won’t say who unless he wants to himself.

Is he now!? That’s interesting!

fwiw- I don’t know/care what my average speed is.
    It would only make me feel even more inadequate after reading the last 11 pages…

Just make it up then, you’ll fit right in 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

So who’s up for round two 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I found myself getting a bit saddened that this thread was dropping off the front page. What the hell am I going to do today!?

amedias
    Free Member

Think of it like a great TV series or Film, let it die in it’s prime before the sequels ruin it.

Either that or turn it into a wheelsize thread… I wonder how much average MTB Strava speeds have changed for people who moved from 26 to $otherwheelsize, that might keep it going for a bit?

njee20
    Free Member

As the thread is actually 2 months old though, technically I think this is an example of a sequel besting the original. But yes, I guess we don’t want any shark jumping.

hilldodger
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    …..What the hell am I going to do today!?

Stat analysis of Strava times and calaculate 95% confidence limits of being a “20mph average rider”, ideally using a spreadsheet with graphs.

We also need a factor for converting northern ‘hard as nails’ miles to southeren ‘softy shandy quaffer’ miles with a weighting coefficient for genital size/mass (the bellend factor)

njee20
    Free Member

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I did an hour and a half today on the way in. Average speed was low though on account of the significant discomfort caused by my stupidly wide bars.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

We also need a factor for converting northern ‘hard as nails’ miles to southeren ‘softy shandy quaffer’ miles with a weighting coefficient for genital size/mass (the bellend factor)

😆 😆 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

What the hell am I going to do today!?

If like me it’ll be catching up on work you were meant to do yesterday.

Though sun is shining, looks like a nice day for a fast ride 🙂

Edit…

Just a minute… is that the OP? Do you feel your question has been sufficiently addressed?

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, it’s a lovely day down here, 20 degrees later apparently, but yes, I have quite a bit to do now, which isn’t Strava related! 🙁

Still a southerly wind, not conducive to a really quick ride home, and one of those irritating days where it was totally still first thing, so no benefit either!

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Though sun is shining, looks like a nice day for a fast ride

Ah but how fast, that is the question? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah but how fast, that is the question?

Well I always aim for… 😉

fasthaggis

Managed to get my average speed up on way in this morning.

Saving up for this..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ah but how fast….

..considerably faster than you 😆

njee20
    Free Member

400!

Mental.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Roadies whats your average speed?’ is closed to new replies.