Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 521 total)
  • Roadies whats your average speed?
  • scotroutes

Certainly dismisses the “Sportives are not races” thing when you’ve that quality of rider participating and they’re doing medal ceremonies 🙂

fasthaggis

I was above average on the way in today,I hope to repeat that on my home run 😉

carbonfiend
    Free Member

100 miles 17.2 all on my jack jones 1500m of climbing in the Chilterns last Friday

RustyMac

Have shied away from this tread as i am new to road cycling but i rode the Etape Loch Ness yesterday too, it was my first sportive and my Garmin says I averaged 18.3mph over the 66 miles. Had a comfort break and minor mechanical so the race time was 5mins longer at 3 hours 39 minutes so I would guess similar overall pace to scotroutes.

I have never cycled that fast before, it was way faster than i thought i could go.

DT78
    Free Member

Well I had my first 21mph average on a solo ride last weekend – 31.6miles but only 850ish ascent. Must have been my new funky jersey that made me superfast.

Can we add KOM’s in this thread as well? Picked up another 2 yesterday 🙂

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Can we add KOM’s in this thread as well? Picked up another 2 yesterday

Definitely KOM’s are the ultimate willy waver! 😆 Post up your links.

In fact everyone get your KOM links posted here!!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

You all need to go and enter a TT!

oldgit
    Free Member

Knocked myself out yesterday. 72 miles, 2558′ climbing (big for down here, (Chinnor Hill, Whiteleaf,Wardrobe)
    Average just bellow 17 mph.
    If I could do double that climbing, and do it that much faster I’d be winning races.
    Got 10th in last weeks road race, open road. That was just over 24mph average. Just shows ya.

oldgit
    Free Member

geetee1972
    standard road bike, no clip ons.
    Long 21 10 mile
    Short 57 25 mile
    Last road race outright win 2013
    Best overall position in cx league 5th
    19th in vets national cx
    that’s me all waved out
    Average still under 17, possibly 16 over the year

nickc

Bloody hell, if I could maintain 17mph with that much hill over that sort of distance I’d be well chuffed.

Nice one oldgit 😀

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

You all need to go and enter a TT!

Just shy of 28mph on Sunday, and that was with only one gear (55/13)

oldgit
    Free Member

Sanitys climb and average is well higher.

Only and 55/13 in one sentence…nice one

twinklydave

Lots of disturbingly fast people on this thread!

Did my first ’10’ last week (on all ‘bog standard’ road kit) and averaged just under 26 (23mins 20secs). Had to slow for one car on a roundabout, but frankly I’m at a loss as to how anyone can average over 30mph 😮

(To join in with the willy waving I did scrape out 133miles at 17.2mph with 11,450ft climbing last week 🙂 EDIT: On the winter bike 😀 )

simondbarnes

Lots of [strike]disturbingly fast[/strike] people living in a fantasy world on this thread!

FTFY

oldgit
    Free Member

And laurels are for resting on.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well clearly wasn’t referring to you Oldgit but chapeau and also feel free to indulge in justified willy waving.

whitestone
    Free Member

Saturday’s 112Km ride worked out at a magnificent 22kmh!! 😆

It was particularly not very nice though – “unpleasant” was how one of my companions put it.

DT78
    Free Member

Only done one 10tt last year on bog standard roadie 26.53 on a ‘slow’ course (or so I’m told) I’m a fair chunk faster now and have the clipon bars just need the stars to align and actually have an evening free when a TT is on!

Tbh I’m more proud of 10th on QECP red loop lst week than another couple of roadie KoMs. I don’t seem to be able to get mtb KoMs any more

oldgit
    Free Member

Another thing I noticed this Weekend was that the guys using auto pause recorded noticeably quicker averages. I’ve never seen the point of using auto pause? The longest you’ll stop is for a pee. Averages when using auto pause and having a 45 minute stop?
    Went on my lads computer and looked at my speeds for the year, none have reached 17mph.

njee20
    Free Member

If I’m recording my training I don’t want to think I’ve done a 4 hour ride, when actually an hour was stood around, so I use auto pause, don’t get why people don’t really.

scotroutes

Strava shows both moving and overall times – as do other programs.

oldgit
    Free Member

Fair enough. I suppose I only record the non stop rides. Though I might start using the Garmin more. I didn’t use it in Belgium a few weeks back, but now wish I had, just to have recorded the routes.

njee20
    Free Member

Strava shows both moving and overall times – as do other programs.

WKO, which I used to use when I was actually doing some training, and had a power meter just takes the time from the device. Strava does it ‘right’ though – the weekly, monthly and annual summaries are all moving time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eh what is going on? Has Hora suddenly been exposed as an alter ego of njee20? Surely not!

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Welcome aboard Hora, ignore the leg pulling. 😆 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

This stupid thread must have planted a seed. Avg speed never use to bother me but now find myself getting really annoyed at red lights that take ages thinking about my average speed drifting downwards 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

Use auto pause :mrgreen:

mrblobby
    Free Member

Using that would make it seem like it was bothered 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Auto pause beeping **** me off, even worse in a group haha!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

connect/strava show moving time and total time as separate numbers, average is based on moving not total

bikebouy
    Free Member

You should hear the cacophony of beeps we us lot stop, then another wave as we set off again..

Deafening..

😆

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Another round anyone? 🙄

Nearly pipped 24mph average home at dinner time. 😆 Ok before you start it was a nice tail wind and it took me 17 minutes the other way in the morning.

STRAVA

jam-bo

Auto pause beeping **** me off, even worse in a group haha!

it was quite loud on HardKnott during the Fred Whitton….

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah I see you were heading south, if your tailwind was anything like the headwind I endured this morning then 24mph over that short distance on a flat road is nothing special. It was blowing a gale and pishing down on my commute this morning. Fingers crossed for a tailwind home.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another round anyone?

Oh god no! 😐

Though typical speeds have gone up a bit as more time trialling has resulted in a bit more flexibility and a better position on the road bike. Front a bit longer and lower and ride the drops pretty much all the time now. Makes a pretty big difference.

amedias
    Free Member

Another round anyone?

Not until you stop measuring over a 4 mile flat route in one direction 😉

Or else I’ll go and measure my ‘average’ down the nearest **** off big hill and claim Winner

Good effort though!

tlr

I got a new record on Saturday, lowest average speed: 19.9kmph for 176km. It was rather hilly though at 5000m, and had more climbing than descending. And it was about 40 degrees.

I think La Marmotte 2015 might be the hardest ride I’ve done.

For reference the Fred Whitton and Etape du Dales are a rather more sprightly 26kmph!

amedias
    Free Member

glenh
    Free Member

tlr – Member
    I got a new record on Saturday, lowest average speed: 19.9kmph for 176km. It was rather hilly though at 5000m, and had more climbing than descending. And it was about 40 degrees.

I think La Marmotte 2015 might be the hardest ride I’ve done.

For reference the Fred Whitton and Etape du Dales are a rather more sprightly 26kmph!

Well, that answers my casual wondering if La Marmotte was really much harder than EduD or FW!

renton
    Free Member

The day before yesterday’s ride home….
    Check out my 5.5 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/340344125

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Roadies whats your average speed?’ is closed to new replies.