Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bittersweet proud Dad moment
  • MoreCashThanDash

Jnr unexpectedly suggested we get about for a ride this evening. He’s not sporty, hardly ever asks to go out riding but enjoys it when he does.

First time ever we have ridden together and he was riding at my pace. It wasn’t fast, but he was pushing himself, even on the hills, and I wasn’t having to back off so he could keep up with me. (Not that I’m quick by any means)

He still struggled a bit with stamina towards the end, but came back looking like he felt he’d achieved something. With a big grin on his face. And he left that tell tale trail of grit in the shower that shows a good ride has been had.

Turns 13 next week, suspect I may spend the next few years wondering if tonight really happened.

matt_outandabout

Happy days….

fadda

That sounds like a damn good evening!

Trying to gently encourage my 10 y-o to ride for longer. Can’t wait!

ton

happiest times with my son, from 10 to 16. we rode everything together.
    alps twice, all the 7 stanes, few of the welsh places, loads of merida mountain marathons.
    he loved it, and i loved spending the time with him.

oh and the bitter part was, he became a dad himself at 16……….silly sod.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had this with my lad this year.

He’s 10 now. At 9 I had to dawdle, and encourage, and practice stalling speed riding and track stands on ascents. Not even a full year later (9 months) he’s powering up everything halfway down the block, and not quitting. I have to actually try a bit, since he now just a bit quicker than my dawdle speed.

‘shit’ thought I. ‘By 14 he’s going to be handing me my ass’.

And I will be proud that he can, because he tries, and I can’t ask for more than that.

matt_outandabout

‘shit’ thought I. ‘By 14 he’s going to be handing me my ass’.

Welcome to my world.

BlobOnAStick

+1 🙁

I have to make sure each ride we go on lasts at least 2 hours…..so once his stamina fades at about an hour I have the chance to get my own back :mrgreen:

poly
    Free Member

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Eldest Cursing is not 13.5 and handing me my arse on every climb. Got to make it a long ride to get the little sod worn out. I suspect that will only last so long.

Bitter part: after years of waiting for him, encouraging and congratulating he just pisses off up to the top without a word.

Try having a 15yr old girly girl daughter (may as well be 18+) who’s in the upper echelons of the cool crowd at school (totally the other end of the spectrum to my school days). Despite early attempts to introduce her to cycling, I’ve now had to face the fact that unless Boohoo, Misguided, or Pretty Little Things start selling MTB’s, or they start appearing on Love Island, I’ve failed

Sandwich

Eldest Cursing is not 13.5 and handing me my arse on every climb.

Sandwich Jr used to do this on the road. Then he discovered drink and long nights out and it’s even stevens again. He doesn’t have a sprint in him though and more than 3 hours will have him out the back like he’s dropped anchor.

hammerite
    Free Member

I have the disappointment of thinking what could have been. At the age of 8 Jnr was riding regularly, finishing highly in kids CX races, 50km+ rides, at 10 rode up his first alpine pass and regular weekend MTB rides in the woods. All his choice, no pushing on my part. By the time he got to 11-12 he decided cycling wasn’t cool enough.

Now he’s a 14yo giant, (6′ 1′ size 14 feet) he’s finally getting in to riding again. Trouble is he’s now approaching overweight and even though he’s sporty isn’t very fit. He only wants to ride downhill and can’t seem to understand that riding on the flat/uphill will help his strength and fitness when going downhill and it’ll also help his fitness for other sports.

Speshpaul

“‘shit’ thought I. ‘By 14 he’s going to be handing me my ass’.

Welcome to my world. “

That’s the kiddy. Ove the winter we went from “come on mate we are nearly there” to “I’ll see you at the top.”

Speshjnr did all the MTB marathons last year and cleared the 1st two climbs on the Batch Burner this year (black Knoll & Stanbatch)
    Impressive stuff, proper proud.

onewheelgood

My daughter rode in our team at Mayhem this year. I was definitely a proud dad. She’s still slower than me though, but catching up.

cinnamon_girl

Where did I go wrong? My boy took up riding in his 20’s and he’s now an obsessed roadie with as many bikes as me. 😆

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Can I just say, as someone who doesn’t have any kids, what a heartwarming and, yes, bittersweet thread this is?

I can almost hear David Attenborough narrating it.

As you were, mums n dads… 🙂

iainc

13 yr old and 10 yr old here. Eldest rides with a development club on MTB and is pretty decent on the road too. The days of going out for an recovery rode with him are over 🙂 Youngest is mental downhill and has no fear……

benp1

I hope my kids are into cycling, I’ve certainly been trying hard to get them out on the bike with me, they love it

Can’t wait for them to ride properly. Took my son out on his stabilisers but had to tow him as he was struggling

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Neither of mine are particularly bothered with bikes. My son is 13 next month and starting to enjoy it now he can keep up on the climbs, he’s pretty good on the way down considering how little he rides. Problem is he’s really into diving, he has the Nationals in two weeks and is going to Barcelona the following week. I’d be gutted if he had an off and couldn’t dive. Last week on the pumptrack he was flying up to the point the back wheel started to slide which again had me taking a sharp breath. My daughter is 8 and was on the pumptrack nailing it. Think she might have done a little bit of pedalling but her bikes quite long and not ideal for pumping. Super proud of both of them and even if they don’t love it as much as I do I hope they’ll always be willing to entertain their old man and join me for a ride.

Tracey

Our two girls started riding from an early age and I still get the same buzz from riding with them now as I did then. We have had some fantastic rides together, we’ve climbed miles of hills and descended even more. Too many cuts, bumps and bruises to remember. They are 21 and 18 now but we still manage to ride together on a weekly basis. Long may it continue 😀

fanatic278
    Free Member

My eldest two girls (7 and 9) like pootling around the street, but anything longer than 30 minutes and they start whinging.

My youngest boy (5) might be more inclined. He asked to come on a bike ride with me last week. We got out the end of the street and headed down the hill on the bike path. Next thing I know he is face down on the pavement, having hit a lamppost. Various cuts and grazes to face/body/legs.

Will have to bide my time and try again with them as the years progress.

StuF

Eldest daughter (not quite 13) has been coming out on some group road rides with me and quite happily keeping up with most of the adults.

Took her over corney fell a couple of weeks ago which she made it up without stopping.

Looking forward to the Notts bike ride on sunday which will be her first 50 mile ride.

It’s great that she can now come out on some more challenging rides, I’ll be being left behind before too long. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

*waves at iainc*

I’m blaming all this on those bargaintastic carbon bars you sold me for his Inbred!

So, top tips to enable cunning and guile to continue to defeat youth and enthusiasm?

philjunior
    Free Member

He only wants to ride downhill and can’t seem to understand that riding on the flat/uphill will help his strength and fitness when going downhill and it’ll also help his fitness for other sports.

True, but have you tried a full day uplift? You’ll be worn out after it, so will he if he comes along.

iainc

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    *waves at iainc*

I’m blaming all this on those bargaintastic carbon bars you sold me for his Inbred!

🙂

FOG

Both of mine were really into it until they discovered beer’n’wimen when they lost interest. Recently as (alleged) adults they are having another go. Unfortunately they regard it as my responsibility to fund their hobby as’it is my fault’ . The oldest had broken three of my old bikes and had to buy his own, the youngest has just blagged my 2nd best road bike. I am down to two mtbs and one road bike! So proud dads beware the cost !

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Beware the cost indeed.
    650b full suss bike
    Trials bike
    Lost a “retro” Gary fisher to him
    Now nagging for a CX bike

Tracey

It has been and always will be worth every penny

honourablegeorge

ton – Member

oh and the bitter part was, he became a dad himself at 16……….silly sod.

At least the three of you get to do it all again together in 9 or 10 years time

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bittersweet proud Dad moment’ is closed to new replies.