Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Roadies – does this look too good to be true?
  • bedmaker

Or is that the going rate for a top end carbon bike used for a couple of years?

Colnago

aa
    Free Member

hmmm. Looks too good to be true. It’s worth more than that.

1981miked
    Free Member

If it looks to be good to be true… It usually is!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Seems a bit suss, ask to meet

TiRed

Too good to be true. That’s a £1000 wheelset on a £3000 frame and £1500 groupset. Nice though. Ask for a contact number.

federalski
    Free Member

Yeah, email to suggest you pick up…even if you can’t.
    See what he says.

Rorschach
    Free Member

3.5k frame,2.5k groupset,1.7k wheels.For 1500 notes.
    Seems legit.

b45her
    Free Member

get some of the hardcore roadies to look at it, it may be a chinese knockoff posing as a colnago.
    the proper roadies are awesome at spotting the difference

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get anyone else to look at it and it’ll be sold..

chief9000
    Free Member

Looks suspect to me too.

I would ask for a contact number and grill the mofo as to why its so cheap.

bedmaker

t may be a chinese knockoff posing as a colnago.

I was thinking that, I’ve seen the Pinarello ‘Dogpoo’s” before which look the part in pictures. I don’t know if there are known copies of this frame though. I’m not a roadie but am looking out for a bike to give it a go.

This one is local to me so I may give it a look over if I can.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

There are copies of Colnagos out there.

bedmaker

There’s another one too 😯 Bianchi

crikey
    Free Member

If it’s legit and you are not a roadie but am looking out for a bike to give it a go, it might be a bit of a handful.

It’s Campag, which is not as readily available as Shimano or SRAM.
    It’s got tubs, which are not for the uninitiated.
    It’s got deep sections, which are a handful in the wind.

It’s a beautiful bike and a very good price, but it’s a full on top-of-the-range bike.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

That bike is mint ball. Too cheap IMO. Super Record 11, 2 years (light) use by the looks of it….top wheels. Just seems cheap. Not sure the Bianchi is much different yet double the price (I know its newer). If there’s one frame that would hold its value it’d be a colnago-especially one that hasnt got a minging paintjob.

V V V nice bike……just seems tooooo cheap.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

If its a Chinarello frame, its still worth 1500 green queens for the wheels and gruppo.

sputnik
    Free Member

Lets assume its a copy. For £1500 you have a good group set and expensive tubby wheels. Sell the wheels and by some clinchers and with the money left you buy a frame if the fake one doesn’t appeal.

tthew

IF the frame’s a fake, aren’t the wheels likely to be so too??

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

so massively under priced the person selling must have no idea ie is not the owner or its nicked.

tomhoward

Bet it’s someone else’s ad, and the Scammer seller has just copied it and changed the price.

fibre
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Gumtree for high end bikes, at the very least be extra cautious. Full of fake adds and stolen bikes. Collect and ask for proof of ownership.

I contacted one out of curiosity as it was too good to be true. They wanted payment up front and although it was advertised in the UK (and available to collect) they had just moved to Spain but didn’t mind posting it at no extra cost. It was £800 on a £5k bike, the pictures were taken from an old Ebay listing.

Your link is using images from ebay, I couldn’t find the listing though. They have probably waited for it to be removed from the completed listings.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$T2eC16hHJF0E9nmFTL6RBRRGiqLt,Q~~48_80.JPG

mboy
    Free Member

Bet it’s someone else’s ad, and the Scammer seller has just copied it and changed the price.

I bet its not even that… My bosses Pinarello has appeared on eBay twice now, semi educated scum found a couple of pics of it on our website, did a bit of research, and wrote an almost legit eBay ad for it!

A couple of customers have have had the same happen too.

If that C59 is legit, that’s an £8k+ build that appears to be in very good condition, and in an easily saleable size. Worth minimum of £4k all day long. The Oltre is a 2012 bike, £7.5k RRP, again barely had any use… £3k is closer to the mark price wise, but I’d still say its worth £4.5k or more all day long… In fact, if its either a 55 or a 57, I could sell that tomorrow for the best part of £5k!

bedmaker

Hmmm looks dodgier than a dodgy thing! Thanks guys.

I’ve contacted the seller to ask for a look anyway.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Ain’t seen many of them floating around Inverness…..

I am sure the seller will be delighted that you are local and can drop in and see it! 😆

On Harbour road too….Might beat you to it.

aP
    Free Member

I always assume that everything on gumtree is stolen or a scam.

unovolo
    Free Member

The other bike their selling(Bianchi) doesnt even appear to be in this country judging from the licence place on the Beetle in the background.

geoffj

There’ll be a story about how he works offshore and can’t get to the bike at the moment, but if you pay, he’ll arrange for his wife/friend/random family member to post it to you on the basis that there is a 14 day return option.

He’ll probably let you pay western union too.

fibre
    Free Member

After the guy I spoke to said he had moved to Spain I told him I was looking for somewhere to go on a riding holiday, “maybe we could meet up and go riding together?”. Just to see what he said.

String him along for a bit with incresingly awkard questions 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bet its not even that… My bosses Pinarello has appeared on eBay twice now, semi educated scum found a couple of pics of it on our website, did a bit of research, and wrote an almost legit eBay ad for it!

A couple of customers have have had the same happen too.

Same happened to me too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-R500-CAAD4-road-bike-yellow-dale-racer-/271165061908?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f22b27b14&nma=true&si=cMC2zMCG6CY4Lzc975LiSV5ukzI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pics taken off this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-much-does-your-road-bike-weigh#post-4734671

pingu66
    Free Member

Good luck collecting that on an industrial estate!

bedmaker

Hands off Bremner it’s mine, all mine!! Shows up as Bannerman Seat on the map – or maybe the filling station 😆
    Might check out the showroom if I’m passing tomorow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And now I’ve clicked on the link, STW is showing me adverts of stolen bikes on Gumtree. Ho hum.

bedmaker

Reply to my email:

Hi mate, unfortunately the bikes at Inverness held by Shiply.com who sort out my packaging and delivery so unfortunately viewing isn’t available thats why I have a refund on it for up to 2 weeks (14days

So I just sent the cash, if it isn’t as described I’ll send it back. Sorted.

dannybgoode

Sounds like a kosher deal to me. Go for it!

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – does this look too good to be true?’ is closed to new replies.