Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road wheels and seatstay equidistance ?
  • iainc

Was poking around the bikes earlier and noticed that on both CDF and carbon Defy, the rear wheel sits about 1.5/2mm closer to the driveside seatstay. Properly seated in dropouts etc. Normal dishing tolerance or ?

scotroutes

I’d be mortified if any wheel I’d built was that far out.

Try swapping them round in the frame to see if it’s wheel dish or frame misalignment.

iainc

Yeah, surprised me a little too, will have a play around tomorrow

jacob46
    Free Member

What’s CDF?
    What year & model is carbon defy?

iainc

What’s CDF?
    What year & model is carbon defy?

CDF – Croix De Fer

Defy is a 2016 Defy Advanced Pro 2. The wheel dish is fine as it sits perfectly in the chainstays. Suspect its machining tolerance on the mech hanger, as the drive end axle seats in the hanger and a few microns extra thickness on the hanger cup there will cause the effect I am seeing. Will ask LBS on Monday

jacob46
    Free Member

I’ve got defy advanced 2 and it’s exactly the same as yours. I’ve inspected the hanger and it’s about 1mm thicker/proud of frame. I’m sure this is causing wheel to look closer to the drive side seat stay. Is yours the same?

iainc

jacob, exactly like that yes, it sits slightly lower than the dropout, so from the side there is a circular ring of hanger visible, as a sort of cup/liner to the dropout. I have a spare hanger and it is the same. My son has a Defy 5 (2015) and it’s the same too !

When it sits in without qr done up it is equidistant, then when qr pulls it all tight it offsets a mm or so at seatstay. Given that distance is perfect at chainstays I don’t see what else it can be..

Sounds common then, which is reassuring, but will take it to shop for their opinion (main Giant Dealer) on Mon and report back !

jacob46
    Free Member

Ok cheers. If you fancy a chat about it 07590407467 or when I’ve done my family chores I’ve got my new pacenti 25’s to fit and I’ll email you some pictures of my hanger. mcchalkley@gmail.com

iainc

OK good plan, off out coaching kids, back early afternoon, mail in profile

jacob46
    Free Member

Iain
    I’ve spoke 2 the giant dealer who I got from (Mammoth cycles) and they have looked at 5 other defys with disc brakes and they told me they are all the same. Giant have had to shape and design the left hand seat stay to accommodate the brake caliper. So the wheel is central but the left hand side appears to be 1 or 2mm’s further away from tyre than the drive side. So no worries it all makes sense as far as I’m concerned.

iainc

Jacob, many thanks, that’s reassuring ! I mailed you some pics of mine earlier on. Cheers.

iainc

Didn’t really think about the assymetric seatstays, was focussing on the gap 🙂

iainc

Jacob – popped into LBS today and looked at 3 others, they were all perfectly centralised, so something amiss. Am dropping bike in with them in morning so will update once they have examined

matts
    Free Member

EDIT: ignore me.

jacob46
    Free Member

Have you while the bike is upright slacken off the quick release and then tighten it back up? Sometimes the wheel finds its most central position when there is weight applied.

iainc

jacob – yes, tried all the usuals. It’s in the workshops at the bikeshop now….

jacob46
    Free Member

Any news Iain?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I have the same ‘issue’ but on a 2015 Supersix & chainstay not seatstay. Prob about 1mm closer to the drive side. Spoke to dealer who said it’s quite common & more noticeable if using wider tyres. Suggested just centralising the wheel then tightening the QR. It really is a tiny movement required at the axle to get it perfectly central.

avdave2

I’ve just checked my 2016 Defy Advanced and the wheel seems to sit equidistant between the seatstays.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any news Iain?

Shhhh….

He’s having a moment, out on the front lawn, sobbing gently, muttering ‘why me?’ ad infinitum. Measured the brake disks on his beemer, they’re out of line, as is the gap round his custom made, quadruple-glazed front door. He daren’t go near any of his 2.4 children, as they might be out of line too. Ditto the wife.

his whole OCD fuelled world has fallen apart, and all that awaits him is the stairway to heaven, which has stairbars that are a bawhair off of centre.

#PrayforIainc

😆

Rockplough
    Free Member

#OCDLivesMatter

iainc

🙂 @ nobeer ! how did you know about my front door ? you been round when I’m out ? 🙂

anyway – the LBS confirms that there is indeed an issue with the frame and is in discussion with Giant on the way forward….

iainc

Well it wasn’t my OCD nobeer 😀

Frame confirmed as out of alignment and new frame making its way to LBS from Giant !

Great warranty and splendid service, thanks Giant UK and local shop

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road wheels and seatstay equidistance ?’ is closed to new replies.