Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road tubeless , what width tape.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I had a puncturethe other day miles from anywhere that was the final nail in the coffin. I’ve set up a few mtb wheelsets tubeless over the past few years and far from being an expert I can usually get the tyres to seat. I got a great deal on Schwalbe ones from wiggle £21 each tubeless ready and bought some slightly narrower tape. the thing is at 23mm the tape still seems too wide. My understanding was always leave a mm or two at each edge so the tyre bead can pop on. Any recommendations for useful tape the wheels ar DT Swiss PR1600 with a rim width of 21.5mm.

Any help would be appreciated , in the past ive used stans tape , gorilla and tessa tape.

oldnpastit

I’ve got a giant 60m roll of 19mm tesa tape, which seems to do the trick.

steve_b77
    Free Member

DT Swiss PR1600 come with tubeless tape already installed from the factory, it’s the brownish stuff on the rim with DT Swiss written on it.

Please tell me you haven’t ripped it off?!?!

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve taped my 19mm internal width road rims with 23-25mm tapes with good results. The tape runs up the sidewalls a bit, but it’s never been a problem, and I think some say that it helps to keep the tape on and the sealant from working it’s way under it.

dovebiker

Better to have the tape under the tyre bead, so if you remove the tyre you don’t push / distort the tape.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just done it , as steve b said looked like it was pre taped but stuck another layer of Tessa tape over just to be sure . Actually easier then the mtb but ill remember next time and put the sealant in through the valve as oppsed to my usual gap in tyre before popping it on. A road tyre is to narrow and the sealant dosent dissapear to the bottom of the tyre look a mtb. Still job done and you live and learn. Thanks folks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

but stuck another layer of Tessa tape over just to be sure

Why?? there’s no need with good fitting tyres

kerley
    Free Member

hopefully you will be luckier than me but I still got punctures on road tubeless as pressure was too high for hole to seal and ended up fitting a tube anyway which defeats most of the point of tubeless for me.

boombang
    Free Member

Struggled enough to get Pro Ones (you did buy Pro Ones right?) onto DT rims with just the standard tubeless tape, let alone another layer. Tessa tape is certainly stickier and IMHO nowhere near as good as the DT tape (not as flexible, not as sticky, doesn’t seal as well).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless , what width tape.’ is closed to new replies.