Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road singlespeed Q for very old bike
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Just ordered some 27×11/4″ nut on wheels for my 1958 Raleigh. Also got a 46t ancient Stronglight single chainset fitted

Want to ride it solo up and down all over the place, way under normal club road ride pace. Also fancy a bit of vintage rough stuff.
    So what single freewheel would you advise? Never ridden road single.

Del

i’d try an 18. charlie the bike monger does the cheapshit dicta ones for 7 or 8 quid, so it’s not the end of the world if you decide to go to another ratio. they are a bit crap though. i have one and it clanked out the box, and has pretty much nowt in the way of seals. it’s serving it’s purpose though – just wanted to try the ratio.

Keef
    Free Member

yup,2nd that,start with 18.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Sorry to thread hijack, but would I be able to convert my old road bike (here ) to singlespeed by simply replacing the cassette with one of these which I have spare?

scaredypants

Vintage rough stuff

puts down next to “granny ring” on the potential cycling magazine titles list

crikey
    Free Member

crashbanggg – Member

Sorry to thread hijack, but would I be able to convert my old road bike (here ) to singlespeed by simply replacing the cassette with one of these which I have spare?

Why not just choose a rear sprocket on the block and shorten the chain then take off the derailleurs?

I’m thinking the chain will be old so you’ll have fewer problems.

BigJohn

My pub bike is 36:15 on 27″ wheels. That’s 65″. I sometimes take it out for longer rides and it feels OK to me.

48:18 is 69″ so should be just right for you. But surely you can screw a fixed sprocket on there…

Beryl Burton (I was her minutemanboy once, back in about 1968) used to time trial mainly in 88″

epicyclo

On some steel frames you might find they flex a fair bit when used as a singlespeed. No problem so long as you are using SS cogs and chainring, but if you are using derailleur stuff, then the flex may cause the chain to come off.

Also, when you’re climbing you may find the frame flexes enough for the wheel to rub against the rear brake pads. Levers with the little slackening thingie are useful here – so long as you remember to put it back before going downhill. 😳 If that doesn’t work, you’ve discovered why fixed wheel was more popular than singlespeed 60 years ago. 🙂

(The flex isn’t a fault – it’s a feature and is why those bikes feel so nice on an all day ride)

65″ was generally regarded as the useful gear for an all purpose bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

The frame, a Lenton was designed to leave the shop as either a single freewheel, 4 speed freewheel or 3 speed Sturmey Archer. It’s 531 and weighs a frickin ton, but it has got a picture of Reg Harris on the frame….1950s go-faster stripes?

All a bit of fun this project, but I look at the thing and wonder where it’s been and what it’s done in it’s 54 years.

epicyclo

The frame itself is probably not that heavy (compared to say a Peregrine or other decent lugged steel frame). It’s all the old parts that add up.

A set of tubs will soon fix that. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road singlespeed Q for very old bike’ is closed to new replies.