• This topic has 86 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Road saddle- where to start?
  • hora
    Free Member

I fitted my old Charge spoon. I didn’t even notice it. Weird. I hated that on the mountain bike. Tonight I’m experimenting with the new WTB- if I don’t get on with it, I’ll order a new (not tatty) Charge Spoon in black for the road bike 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

The one thing I do like about the Gobi is its narrowness to allow more movement in baggies.

Get some proper shorts and a decent road saddle. (Specialized/ San-marco/fizik/pro-logo/selle italia etc).

hora
    Free Member

No. I’ve found that I like my padded inner lycra under green cargo shorts. It doesn’t flap etc either. Sorry if its not ‘road’ and its probably abit american or amateur but I think grown men in lycra shorts should either be elite/top club riders/pro’s.

Anyone else- it looks creepy as ****.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s a strong look

fasthaggis

I think grown men in lycra shorts should either be elite/top club riders/pro’s or teens.

You will understand once you have done some proper cycling 🙄

ahwiles
    Free Member

hora – Member

I’ll order a new (not tatty) Charge Spoon in black for the road bike

tempt sir with a charge scoop? – much like the spoon, only a bit lighter, and no seams.

grahamg
    Free Member

I think if you only got sit bone ache, then you were on your way to a winner anyway – that’s where you should be supported, and often if you’re not used to the time in saddle (and on road it’s lots of time in saddle vs off road!) or position on bike etc. then you’re bound to get some achy arse. It’s when you get numbness, ass chafing, sores etc. that you know you’ve got the wrong saddle.

The ideal I’ve found is something that noticeably supports sit bones without relying on too much soft tissue to support around that area, which of course varies massively between individuals.

Reminds me of the time a Rolls literally made my arse bleed after three weeks use on tour.

hora
    Free Member

Scoop it is.

You will understand once you have done some proper cycling

I’m going to do 3x40miles a week on the road. I don’t think thats bad.

Kryton57

Get your sit bones measured. You need three things:

a) To know what width you need
    b) To know how your hips rest which is affected by the shape of the saddle across its width, its profile.
    c)To know according to posture how you perineum sits on the saddle.

I had the same issue as you, cured by moving from a 135mm width to 145mm and a flat profile.

cloudnine – Member
    Charge spoon / scoop / knife.. seem well liked.

Is anyone riding frequently able to comment on whether the stitching has had an adverse effect on their lycra?

aracer
    Free Member

Well you’re the one complaining about being uncomfortable 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah, what aracer said. I’m expecting a “What medical treatment for open sores” thread soon. The quicker you realise that lycra is more comfortable on road bikes the quicker you won;t be wondering why your groin feels like someone went at it with sandpaper or, like the last time I rode to work in jeans the long way around, how someone seems to have kicked you repeatedly in the balls without you noticing.

It’s all about the best equipment for the job really.

nemesis
    Free Member

Is anyone riding frequently able to comment on whether the stitching has had an adverse effect on their lycra?

No problems from mine on my mtb.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oh and I use Selle Italia SLR on both my road bikes. They work really well for me but aren’t super cheap

ransos
    Free Member

I have Spoons on all my bikes. There’s a small amount of bobbling on the inside thigh area of my bibs, but that’s over a few thousand km. Given how comfortable I find the saddle I’m quite happy to take a slightly reduced lifespan of my shorts.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ref the Lycra thing. Tried it, no more comfort than baggies, with the added advantage of not looking like a sex pest at work.

Heaven forbid, I’m even going to start doing the commute one day a week to my other office which is a 120km round trip, all in baggies, with a helmet that’s got a peak, and a rucksack 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Well you’re the one complaining about being uncomfortable

Sorted though.

I just can’t face ‘just’ lycra on its own. I like to wear clothes not look line Basildon’s alternative Super hero to Batman.

I wont be doing centuries on the bike. Its for getting out after or before work.

Weekends are for off road.

therevokid
    Free Member

Went from a san marco regal-e (which was nice but has limited padded
    zones) to a prologo scratch …. sweeeeet 🙂

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped out 2 Specialized Phenom’s from my MTB’s and a Romin pro from my road bike and put £20.00 spoons on all 3. Road one is taking a bit of tweeking but not having the probs I had with others after 3+ hours. Decent padding in shorts makes a lot of difference.

aracer
    Free Member

I think you need to face the fact that most people think you look silly on a road bike whatever you wear, and those who don’t will think you look more silly with your clothing choice. Up to you though if you want to look more silly and be more uncomfortable.

hora
    Free Member

It is comfy though. If I felt uncomfortable I’d switch.

Mountain biking- I just can’t wear padded shorts no matter what.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so clearly you’re right and thousands of roadies are wrong then.

hora
    Free Member

I’m not a roadie. I’m using a road bike to train on. I’ve no interest in ‘crits, road gangs, Sportifs etc etc. I don’t want to develop arms like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, I don’t want to plaster myself in a manufacturers logos to pretend I’m a pro-rider, nor do I want to wear a cycling amateur club tshirt and ride with 10 other same-shirted club members trying to beast ourselves/forget about a marriage gone stale. I don’t want to worry over stats, obsess with detail, worry about Strava-esque type problems.

I’ll do my ride, enjoy it and hang the bike up afterwards and smile/relax.

I’ve said it before, road is my dirty hotel mistress where you shoot and leave, mountain bike is my beloved wife who I love.

Ride, shoot the breeze, go home.

:mrgreen:

grahamg
    Free Member

To be honest, in my experience (baggies for touring etc. in spite of only wearing lycra on the road bike), baggies can be worn quite comfortably as long as there’s no seams that end up between the sadddle/arse interface. Seriously, if someone wants to look a bit more normal on a bike, it can be done without any major impact on comfort – aching sit bones as per the OP will NOT be due to wearing baggies, they’re far more likely to cause saddle sores.

Nobby

Get your sit bones measured. You need three things:

a) To know what width you need
    b) To know how your hips rest which is affected by the shape of the saddle across its width, its profile.
    c)To know according to posture how you perineum sits on the saddle.

This.

The Consultant Urologist who carried out my op told me the proportion of men he was treating that cycled regularly had increased markedly in the last 5 years. You may or may not be doing damage down there but, if you are, it is a gradual process which can have some very nasty end results. He was actually in the process of writing a paper on the subject at the time.

The answer is a saddle that fits you – not one that’s comfy/a favourite amongst the masses/a bargain.

hora
    Free Member

Nobby on the mountain bike over the past few months I’ve had bell end numbness, etc since I’ve gone from my WTB rocket V (that had to be binned as it fell apart) and onto what I could find in the spares box. Did worry me alittle what it must be doing to nerves etc down there longterm.

(BTW I don’t wear cargo pants off road) – the pants stay, I’ll investigate a decent fitting here in Manchester for offroad and on road saddles.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

i’ve got a spoon on my commuter, it’s eaten 2 pairs of shorts in 2 years, i ride about 100km/week, the saddle is starting to look a bit shabby.

i’d change it, but:

1) my bum really likes the shape.
    2) i’m kind of curious to see how this saddle vs shorts battle plays out…

ransos
    Free Member

The answer is a saddle that fits you – not one that’s comfy/a favourite amongst the masses/a bargain.

I had my sit bones measured, and the result was the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever used.

tomhoward

I’m not a roadie. I’m using a road bike to train on. I’ve no interest in ‘crits, road gangs, Sportifs etc etc. I don’t want to develop arms like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, I don’t want to plaster myself in a manufacturers logos to pretend I’m a pro-rider, nor do I want to wear a cycling amateur club tshirt and ride with 10 other same-shirted club members trying to beast ourselves/forget about a marriage gone stale. I don’t want to worry over stats, obsess with detail, worry about Strava-esque type problems.

…Yet.

hora
    Free Member

Yet?

Everyone likes nailing someone from the office? 😆

scud
    Free Member

As above, give a Fizik Aliante a try, i was always a mountain biker and i could not get on with Charge Spoon on either MTB or road bike, the Aliante was recommended to be by bike fitter and it has been great, never had any issues at all when coupled with decent shorts.

ollie51
    Free Member

I think if you only got sit bone ache, then you were on your way to a winner anyway – that’s where you should be supported

+1

If this is a new saddle, it could well be the first time you have actually sat on your Ischial Tuberosities properly. It is completely normal to find this uncomfortable, for a while. If it doesn’t improve for a couple of months, then pop to your local spesh dealer and get yourself a saddle with some science behind it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think you need to face the fact that most people think you look silly on a road bike whatever you wear, and those who don’t will think you look more silly with your clothing choice. Up to you though if you want to look more silly and be more uncomfortable.

How does that work then? I think people in Lycra look silly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Quite like that monologue earlier hora..

hora
    Free Member

Why do people get into a sport and think they must progress along a ‘career hobby’ conveyor belt as defined by their peers?

“Nice bike, are you planning any Sportives this year”

– No I’m going to ride and enjoy my bike thanks.

I don’t care if I’m 10th on a particular stretch of trail against 200 total strangers. Who gives a **** about Strava, wheelsizes (what we ‘should’ be riding now) or what I should be wearing? Is it a conformist uniform.

nemesis
    Free Member

You’re asking about comfort. people as saying that Lycra without baggies is more comfortable.

hora
    Free Member

Its not snagging and its not flapping though.

Its the sitbones I asked about in my OP. Sitbone comfort isnt improved by taking away a thin layer of fabric from the equation.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes but it’s you so all bets are off.

Anyway, to add to the consensus, it sounds like you’ve probably actually found a good saddle but aren’t yet used to sitting in the right way (eg sit bones). Give it a few rides.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll pick up a secondhand scoop too when one pops up.

Kryton57

I don’t care if I’m 10th on a particular stretch of trail against 200 total strangers. Who gives a **** about Strava, wheelsizes (what we ‘should’ be riding now) or what I should be wearing? Is it a conformist uniform.

…says the man with a long list of past equipment that closely resembles the en-vogue STW guidline du jour…

hora
    Free Member

Are you calling me a fashion cyclist(TM)? 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Road saddle- where to start?’ is closed to new replies.