Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Road riders wearing black – why?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Driving to work today it was very overcast, 80/90% of cars had headlights on, but I passed so many people riding fully in black with no lights.

I just don’t get it. I started cycling to work again in April and have always used bright clothing and day glow rucksack cover. The last few months ive started using lights, even on sunny days (which has made a huge difference to how much room people give you)

I know its none of my business etc etc, but I just cant understand why people are doing it, especially after unfortunately you hear more and more about cyclist deaths on the road.

ton

why not?

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s slimming.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glupton1976
    Free Member

I recently had a 370 post conversation about this on Facebook with TJ.

I could copy and paste that if you want – just to save the same thing being duplicated on here. 😉

luffy105
    Free Member

yep…… confirmed fatty here.

to be fair I do wear an orange top in order to be seen but much prefer black as I look a complete numpty in cycling clothes and feel better when wearing black.

tomhoward

I recently had a 370 post conversation about this on Facebook with TJ.

😯

You know there are pictures of pretty girls (or men, if thats your preference) on the internet, right?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“murdered out” is a good look.

binners

Pretty much all the riding gear I own is black. Why? Well… it might be my subconscious desire to look like Oswald Mosely. Or because I like it, and if I was head to toe in fluorescent stuff I’d look like a bouncy castle.

I do however light myself, and the bike up like Blackpool illuminations when its anywhere near dark.

In my experience if someones daft/careless enough to drive into you in broad daylight, then they’re going to do it whatever you’re wearing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ton – “why not” ok I’m doing the big assumption thing here, but you must be shortening the odds of you not being hit quite considerably..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because it’s up to the cars to see you not for you to be seen OK, when they hit you it’s their fault and when you lie there in intensive care/grave at least that will comfort you.

FOG

I wish my road riding mate was a little more sober in his riding gear! Every time we go out he turns up in some 20 year old garish obscure team kit which look like the proverbial explosion in a paint factory. Still, you can definitely see him.

buck53

Think it’s more to do with the uninspired range of cycle clothing available, isn’t it? Look in any mainstream cycle chop and you’ll see swathes of black with the occasional bit of fluro thrown in. Very hard to buy light/coloured kit somewhere you can try it on before buying, IME.

ton

i just dont see why we have to dress like batman or robin, to cycle to work, or to cycle for transport.
    have you ever been to holland or denmark?
    people ride far more than we do, and get along fine wearing normal day to day clothes.

cheez0
    Free Member

What mike said.

Same as the motorbike thread. Be seen.

At least while you lie in intensive care you can laugh at the smidsy joke

mikewsmith
    Free Member

this bright enough?
    – first link fail follow the link for the mad colours
    only problem is it’s just for the ladies and mail order – I have some of the last of the mens stuff and the missus has loads of the womens (she is sponsored/ambassador) but it’s great kit 🙂
    http://www.ymxbyyellowman.com/

Jamie
    Free Member

Murdered out is my favourite colorway.

vondally
    Free Member

does this apply to black cars as well?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Looks good

Matches my bike

Slimming ( 😉 )

Have you ever worn lycra shorts that are not black 😉

But having being caught out recently by bad weather and poor light (wearing black and no lights at 18:00) I take the OPs point!!!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

does this apply to black cars as well?

No … Not if as the OP said 80/90% had thier lights on

And I’m not sure how much a driver will get hurt if thier car is ridden into by a cyclist

Be seen you wallys

crikey
    Free Member

Eeeh, that photo is a fail…

Baggy cuffs, hood, cut too long at the front and too short at the back, no pockets and she’s wearing knickers.

Not really cycling clothing at all.

tomhoward

Have you ever worn lycra shorts that are not black

I believe the Polish Cycling team have. They have definitley been seen. Every last bit of them.

GrahamS

Think it’s more to do with the uninspired range of cycle clothing available, isn’t it?

Pretty much this for me. Choices seem to be stealth black, 80’s look, TDF-wannabe or classic railway worker flouro.

Fortunately I’m Scottish so my legs glow a splendid blueish-white allowing me to be seen in the thickest of fogs 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

motorcyclists in black leathers?

If we’re talking safety then lights and reflective strips/panels have a much greater impact than fabric colour in low light conditions and in normal light conditions black is perfectly visible.

spxxky

Can never understand why manufacturers still produce black cycling gear, though there must be a demand as they still make it! Some pro teams don’t help either… I’d wear pink and white polka dots before I’d put on black clothing on the roads… and I love the girls top above 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

what Buck said, possibly thanks to Sky/Rapha half the stuff in shops is black. I have 3 black road jerseys, all different brands, not because I was after that third reich chic but because they were all that was available that fitted at the time.

I have a couple of brighter jerseys and tend to wear those when riding solo, and keep the black stuff for group riding when I’m surrounded in fluoro. Commuting I use a fluoro yellow rucksack and have an orange Howies Dfyi jacket when the weather justifies it.

At least while you lie in intensive care you can laugh at the smidsy joke

I was brought up with “no point being in the right when youre also in hospital”.

spxxky

In fact, look at the majority of jackets produced for men… black, brown, drab… whilst the women’s alternatives are bright and colourful… are they trying to do something here???

senorj

Have you ever worn lycra shorts that are not black

I bought some lycra shorts in a sale that have white panels on them. 😯
    The only time I wear them is when it’s pitch black – Ha.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and I love the girls top above

They are great, I have the manly versions, need to speak to the NYC hipsters about getting the mens range back up and running 🙂
    [video]http://vimeo.com/63068559[/video]
    Riding gear that isn’t “murdered out” or 80’s fluro 🙂 (shameless plug)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Vond – if you hadn’t noticed now cars a sold with lights that you cant turn off so that you can be seen.

There was an interesting thing on Radio 4 a few weeks back about cycling accidents in London. Apparently the Boris bikes have fewer accidents than expected purely because they have lights on them.

To be honest I wear blue or red tops commuting, no it probably looks crap to the roadie pro fashion Police, but if it helps reduce my chances of getting hit by a car then I really don’t care.

grum
    Free Member

Murdered out is my favourite colorway.

I brought some cycling clothes in a murdered out colorway recently.

binners

Can never understand why manufacturers still produce black cycling gear, though there must be a demand as they still make it!

See above.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Been cycling 20 miles daily through winter and summer for as long as I can remember. In winter car drivers go insane, but I’ve worn mostly black all my life. In my opinion, in daylight the colour you’re wearing makes no difference to visibility, and in winter (or dark) lights are the only reliable solution to visibility.

Nobody has mentioned the most important elements of being seen, which are skill and experience on a bike along with making yourself prominent so people have no choice but to see you (and your bright flashing lights of course).

dasilva
    Free Member

The most popular colours of cars these days include Fog Grey, Tarmac Grey and overcast Sky Grey, but that’s alright because cars are safer for the occupants these days despite most of them being more difficult to see out of.

vondally
    Free Member

personally always wear dark colours on the bike why simply do not like the colours and Fluor/display board of roadie kit nor the clowns suits of the downhillers.

Reflective strips make more of a difference and lights massively…….just like black cars then……….

grim168
    Free Member

I find there are that many yellow jackets about now they just don’t stand out as much as they used to. Orange seems to stand out more.

swanky
    Free Member

Looking at the bigger picture, I’m sure that wearing black clothes on a road bike is very helpful to the insurance companies.

It would help them no end to reduce their liabilities as they could easily apportion blame to the clothing the victim was wearing.

Has anyone actually experienced this kind of thing?

On a more gruesome note, black and blood red have always set each other off very well as a colour combination.

timc
    Free Member

ton – Member
    i just dont see why we have to dress like batman or robin, to cycle to work, or to cycle for transport.
    have you ever been to holland or denmark?
    people ride far more than we do, and get along fine wearing normal day to day clothes.

Cycling in the Uk is not like cycling in Holland or Denmark though is it?

Anyway whats the point in taking an idealogical view point, deal with the here & now, its safer, simple as that…

GrahamS

Seem to remember an article a while back that suggested that at this time of year, black may sometimes be safer than fluoro because you have more contrast against a low sun and shiny wet roads.

RustySpanner

Usually dark colours here too.

Vanity really.

Which is the same reason I don’t have any reflectors on my bikes either.
    Should do really, not as if they weigh much.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I blame Rupert Murdoch.

I’d never wear flouro, it’s hideous. I don’t always wear black, I have lots of other colours, red, blue, etc. It makes naff all difference to the amount of room I’m given.

Whats the point of lights in bright sunshine?

I was riding home last week along a cycle path which runs along side the road but is totally segregated from the road, cars can’t access the path or stray onto it. There was a guy coming towards me with a very bright light in strobe mode, this was broad daylight, all he was doing was blinding oncoming riders. Idiot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Road riders wearing black – why?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts