Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Road rage – tell me why, psychologists
  • monksie
    Free Member

“Therefore we feel frustrated by the lack of communication (and lack of ‘oops, I’m sorry, my mistake’) other road users engage with us. In some people, this frustration builds up into physical anger.”

That is the very thing! I think somebody suggested it up there ^.
    Frustration–Aggression–Displacement theory.

timc
    Free Member

I laugh a people like the OP & the man in his storey, that makes them more angry, which amuses me more!! & so on…

xiphon
    Free Member

It was one of ‘several’ theories though, I can’t remember the others sorry.

richmtb

Yes Xiphon probably has it.

The other day I was getting tyres fitted and the tyre place was a mess of randomly parked cars. I wanted to go in and a guy wanted to come out. There wasn’t much space for either manouver.

I put my window down, he put his window down a brief chat ensued “you go there and I’ll go there” and the manouver passed off with a wave and a smile. As a species we seem to be pretty good at working things out and not getting upset when we can see and communicate with each other and not so great when there are barriers to this.

Witness, phone rage, email rage and dare i say it forum rage!

BruceWee

In the car I have never experienced road rage, but then I’ve never had a job where I have to commute by car which probably makes a big difference. I feel very safe in my metal box, especially driving round town where speeds are quite low.

It’s a completely different story when I get on the bike to the point where I’ve given up riding to work and just take the bus instead. I was getting home in a really angry state and it just wasn’t worth it.

richmtb

It’s a completely different story when I get on the bike to the point where I’ve given up riding to work and just take the bus instead. I was getting home in a really angry state and it just wasn’t worth it.

I think “bike rage” is different though. Is not as irrational as standard road rage. Its acceptable to get a little upset when people seem to be trying to kill you!

BruceWee

I think “bike rage” is different though. Is not as irrational as standard road rage. Its acceptable to get a little up set when people seem to be trying to kill you!

Definitely. Unfortunately bike rage still doesn’t do anyone any good, especially not me. Maybe I should get one of those cameras and start reporting everyone, might make me a bit less angry if I felt I could do something about it.

rogg
    Free Member

what were you hoping to achieve an apology, a free round of golf and a hearty handshake?

Good point. An apology I guess, I was too p’d off to think rationally that he’d struggle to apologise with my hands round his neck.

I’m wondering now whether the location had anything to do with it. As I’ve tried to say, normally I’m the type of person who will reverse half a mile to save you backing up 10 yards, but this was My Own Driveway, so add that to My Own Little Bubble of Safety in the car and perhaps that was the trigger.

Well,that and the fact that he was driving a Mercedes ML, which are only ever driven by complete ****…I’m joking of course….

mcboo
    Free Member

I used to get red mist but since I’m driving a massive 4×4 these days I’m MUCH more defensive when driving.

Bike rage? 4-5 times a week commuting in London. But I havent lost my temper, I really do WANT to project some venom onto the blind/drunk/mobile phone using drivers who are trying to kill me and others.

DezB
    Free Member

You’re all wrong. The reason for so much road rage is because there are so many STUPID PEOPLE in cars.
    Simple as that.
    I liken myself to David Banner when I’m driving. Perfectly calm, driving at a reasonable speed, tapping along to pop music. Some pillock winds me up and Bang, I’m that MASSIVE DICKHEAD! (Purple rather than green, I guess.)
    And I KNOW, everytime I turn that ignition key, within 5 minutes there will be someone doing something stupid, but I just can’t get used to it.
    Thank gawd for bicycles.

[edit] now you know why weeksy’s post annoyed me 🙂

chunkypaul
    Free Member

raises hand – l also suffer from ‘Dr Banner in a car’ syndrome

as well as ‘Dr Banner reads TJ’s posts on STW forum’

hey, nobody is perfect…

teasel
    Free Member

May a squadron of beautiful vaginas find their way to your crotch by day’s end.

Oh my eye, I don’t think I’ve laughed so much for a long time. Gonna have to deliver that line sometime soon.

I laugh a people like the OP & the man in his storey, that makes them more angry, which amuses me more!! & so on…

Just because you’re laughing it doesn’t make you righteous.

hora
    Free Member

I drive like an angel when my son is in the car.

Once on a dual carriageway another motorist (in his head) thought we were racing. I bloody wasn’t- he raced ahead of me, slammed on to a crawl, then set off and did the same again looking at me in the mirror looking like he was grinning and nodding.

I just sat there and waited. Then drove on.

Key shock events can stick in a young and impressionable mind. Do you want your kids to think of you as being abit ‘angry’ at times when they are older looking back?

joolsburger
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

😆

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

If there is anybody out there who is serious about what you can do to help combat it (in yourself and others) I can recommend this.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Road rage – tell me why, psychologists’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM