Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road pedals?
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Been on Crank Bros for years.
    Used eggbeaters on road bikes in the past.
    New road build – what pedals?
    I’m going to need new shoes anyway so switching up from to 2 to 3 bolt isn’t an issue.

What are the pros and ?cons of road specific pedal?
    Recommendations?
    Time? Shimano? Speedplay? Help!

paule
    Free Member

I had similar questions, so bought a cheap set of decathlon pedals (look keo compatible) and shimano shoes last week. Less than £60 all in. The difference in power and connection compared to MTB pedals/shoes is very noticeable, as is the lightness of the shoes.

Clipping in is more tricky, but getting easier every day. Only real issue iw walking, but for the on-bike bits they’re great.

lunge

Shimano. Similar feel to Look but the cleats are harder wearing and easier to walk in. Plenty ofvpeopleceill say you should stick with mtb pedals but for me at least, the change to road is well worth it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Various Look copies. Can’t see a difference in cleat wear compared to Shimano but the cleats are cheaper, probably more universally available if you are desperate and they don’t stick out of the side of the shoe which just looks naff.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Don’t get the cheap r540 they are very stiff to click in or out

cookeaa

Happy with the R540 and basic DHB R1.0 shoes.

Both are basic, “bottom of the range” kit, but still feel like a step up from using MTB SPDs on the road.

andyfla
    Free Member

Look Keos, much easier in my opinion to get into than shimano ones

dannybgoode

Love Speedplay Zero’s myself but pedals are pretty subjective.

Find them easy to get in and out of, great power transfer and like the free float although others don’t like them as they think the free flat feels like you’re pedalling on ice.

JoB
    Free Member

Shimano, just get Shimano

i’ve used all the other systems and they all have their niggles; cleat wear, cleat squeak, poor bearings etcetc

Shimano just works

scaredypants

shimano 550 here – I can’t see how they could be inproved (apart from being able to countersink the cleat somehow so that you could walk in ’em

(Actually, a road shoe with a sort of built up “spoiler” type sole round the outside would make a great improvement – and they could probably flog it as “improving airflow round the underside” 😀 )

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals?’ is closed to new replies.