Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stanton frame pricing?
  • matther01
    Free Member

Was just about to hit the button on a green switchback for pre-order, when I realised it won’t be the same green that was previously released and will be the ‘Sherpa’ green.

Looked at the Sherpa page and the green looks good, but then realised the Sherpa is £500 for Reynolds 853 but the switchback is £550 for Reynolds 631 and no longer has the interesting finish.

Seems a bit odd paying more for something that seems a bit less (material wise…not ride quality)?

matther01
    Free Member

Even more bizarre when I now compare it to the Slackline which started out as 831 and is now 631 and is only £385?

Lazymike
    Free Member

When you look at the description for the switchback it even mentions using the same tubeset as the slackline. Looks like you are paying 165 quid extra for the privilege of the tubes being welded together to take 27.5. The price of progress I suppose?

mindmap3
    Free Member

The original Slackline in 853 was around the £500 odd mark.

I’d say it doesn’t really matter because the Switchback is ace. I bloody love mine. If you don’t think it’s good value / got a nice enough finish…don’t buy it?

thepodge
    Free Member

I find it more odd that the site doesn’t make it too clear what wheel size each frame is using

matther01
    Free Member

Not saying it isn’t a good bike or the finish isn’t good, just trying to get my head around the economics of the differing prices on the frames.

The Sherpa must have needed loads of R&D as it was their first 29er and I can understand the slackline being less because of the 631 and the R&D already done on the 831.

But the switchback is supposed to be based on the slackline so I would have thought some R&D came from that, plus its 631.

If the Sherpa was £700 and the switchback £550 I could get it.

Jonny5
    Free Member

Switchback also has interchangeable dropouts which I guess would add a bit to the cost.

matther01
    Free Member

Jonny5 – true enough, hadn’t picked up on that

fudge9202
    Free Member

I have the green sherpa it is really nice and looks even better with black components to contrast it, great frames with great finish but if you have a query expect a long wait for an answer, I have sent two to Dan several weeks ago via the site and Facebook and still no reply.

nickwatson
    Free Member

Same as fudge, love the green of the sherpa (and agree looks good offset with black components), here’s mine …

Nick

matther01
    Free Member

Defo still buying one…just found the differing prices a bit bewildering, but then I don’t own or run a successful business!

svalgis
    Free Member

Demand for 27.5″ bikes is bigger than 26″, hence higher price.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice one Nick; best hardtail I’ve seen for a while.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stanton frame pricing?’ is closed to new replies.