Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road bike winter/ wet weather tyres.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG II or Continental Grand Prix 4 Season.?

Or is there anything else that I have over looked.? I know it’s a bit early for this but I have got disposable cash now and won’t have it in October.

sofaking
    Free Member

i use gp4’s(with the scotchlite sidewalls) all year round and wouldnt hesitate to get another pair when they wear out

njee20
    Free Member

Really impressed with my GP 4 Seasons, rode and commuted all winter with nary a slip on ice, nor a single puncture. Used Hutchinson Intensive’s previously, and they were utter toss, would spin the back climbing out of the saddle on dry roads.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got GP4000’s on the road bike and GP4seasons on the tourer, can’t tell much of a didfference between them TBH neither punctures often enough to make a difference, and even if the GP4000’s did, thats more likely because the innertubes weigh 50g, not the thicker 100g tubes in the tourer.

samuri
    Free Member

I just use bog standard GP4000’s all year round. Last for ages, highly puncture resistant, pretty grippy.

FuzzyWuzzy

Ultremo DD’s

oldgit
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pavés are great but wear quickly. I’m just happy with cheap Vittoria Rubino Pros all year. Cheap, not fussy and tough.
    Actually I’m still training on them now, but I’d stop short at racing on them.

BadlyWiredDog

GP4000S with the Black Chilli compound all year here. Loads of grip, wet or dry, decent wear and surprisingly puncture resistant. Exponentially better than the standard compound GP4000. I suspect if you live somewhere with lots of sharp, flinty debris on the roads over winter, you might want something with reinforced tread. But I don’t.

oldgit
    Free Member

suspect if you live somewhere with lots of sharp, flinty debris on the roads over winter, you might want something with reinforced tread. But I don’t.

Ah you know my roads then. It’s everywhere here, and it washes out of the hillsides when it rains..nice. Hence you need a thick carcass.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion carbon.

Excellent tyre, I run them in 25mm flavour, no punctures, 260g (weighed myself on kitchen scales) grip and roll well.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Open Paves have a great ride but they are expensive and wear pretty quick. i only got about 1500 miles out mine.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I use the Conti 4 seasons in winter and like them.

BadlyWiredDog

Ah you know my roads then. It’s everywhere here, and it washes out of the hillsides when it rains..nice. Hence you need a thick carcass.

Thankfully we just get gritstone rubble in various sizes up to refrigerator when things get really silly, though pebble to half-brick size is more common…

Dyffers
    Free Member

Another vote for Michelin Krylion Carbons.

4 years of audaxing on 23mm and 25mm versions without complaint.

If you keep ’em peeled they can be had for £20 each.

ransos
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion carbon.

Excellent tyre, I run them in 25mm flavour, no punctures, 260g (weighed myself on kitchen scales) grip and roll well.

I have the 23mm flavour, but find them a bit twitchy in the wet. I use Gatorskins on my winter bike, 28mm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Exponentially better than the standard compound GP4000

See, I find that hard to believe, the only times mine slip are when I hit stuff like diesel or drain covers in the wet or gravel and nothing will grip on those. In the dry I run out of bottle long before they run out of grip.

More grip/better rolling might be true, but outside the lab I doubt it’s noticeable? You don’t exactly get a chance to drift on road tyres, it’s all or nothing so the limit’s a lot harder to judge.

BadlyWiredDog

See, I find that hard to believe, the only times mine slip are when I hit stuff like diesel or drain covers in the wet or gravel and nothing will grip on those. In the dry I run out of bottle long before they run out of grip.

Have you used the Black Chilli version? They just feel more planted and confident all round. Maybe there’s an element of psychology there, but they are better. The standard all-black GP4000s in 23 and 25 are Black Chilli anyway, or were, tho Conti never made a big song and dance about it fwiw.

njee20
    Free Member

In the dry I run out of bottle long before they run out of grip.

Indicative of your skill level rather than the tyres? Not being harsh, just saying like, people may be braver than you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there’s an element of psychology there

That’s where my money is.

Njee, probably true also, but then again the fastest point on my local loop is the corner at the bottom of a hill which it’s quite easy to pedal into at 40mph and it still feels like I’m going to run out of ground clerance before the tyres slip.

My last pair were the GP4000s/black chilli ones, my current ones are the standard GP4000, and while I’m happy to accept that the more expensive version might have been better, the difference is a lot smaller than going from something mid range like the ultra-sport or GP4season to higher end tyres. I think if you were determined to prove that they had more grip then you’d probably draw blood before any meaningfull conclusions.

BadlyWiredDog

I do think the Black Chilli are way more confident in the wet in particular, but there you go. Opinions differ and if you’re happy with the standard rubber compound, I’m not going to disagree.

m1kea
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 3 Grip for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road bike winter/ wet weather tyres.’ is closed to new replies.