Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike dropout width
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Is it the case they he frame rear drop out width has not changed from the 7/8 speed cassette width to current 10/11 speed cassette’s?

I’m after a cheap bike to set up on my turbo trainer rather than using my proper bike and with it being a direct fit turbontrainer i’m Assuming I can just get a few year old bike with 8/9/10 speed cassette and use that? I’ve got a 11 speed tiagra rear mech and shifter in my parts bin so it should all work with an 11 spd cassette fitted to the turbontrainer.

Ta.

ianpv
    Free Member

should all be 130mm spaced if rim braked, but 11 speed road cassettes don’t fit on 10 speed hubs IIRC

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Not really concerned with wheel as i’ll not be using it with it being a direct mount turbo, just want to double check my thinking in that as long as I get a half decent road bike frame, e.g. a 5 yr old ish Specialized Allez and use my spare 11 spd mech&shifter and cassette on the turbo it should all marry up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, dont go too old as they drop to 126mm but that’s going back to 5speed era. Although a steel frame would be fine spread out a bit as long as you can get the wheel straight.

And as above you would need an 11s hub, although iirc 10s cassettes work if you wind the limit screw in).

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve got a 11 speed tiagra rear mech and shifter in my parts bin so it should all work with an 11 spd cassette fitted to the turbontrainer.

Tiagra is 10 speed – so you’ll need a 10 speed cassette & wheel which increases the possibility of a bargain, rear road spacing has been the same width (130mm) for about 30 years – unless you pick up something really old you’ll be fine.

Shimano 105 5800-> and Ultegra 6800-> are 11 speed

j

Edit – the 10 speed tiagra might work ok on the 11 speed turbo cassette with a bit of screw twiddling but if you’re only gonna use the one bike ont he turbo i’d fit a cheap 10 speed cassette & keep the 11 speed spare for the good bike

pdw
    Free Member

Is it the case they he frame rear drop out width has not changed from the 7/8 speed cassette width to current 10/11 speed cassette’s?

Sheldon says 7 speed is 126mm, but I’m pretty sure that my old 7 speed was 130mm. 8/9/10 speed is all definitely 130mm.

jonba
    Free Member

If you do go old and get a 126mm frame it’ll probably be steel. My old winter roadie was like this and it was fine just squeezing a 130mm hub in – a little fiddly with cold hands at the road in the event of a puncture. Plenty of flex in the frame. Wouldn’t give it two thoughts on the turbo.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Good shout on tiara, I think it is 10apd come to think of it. Off to eBay!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike dropout width’ is closed to new replies.