Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ritchey stem – design flaw?
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

This probably wouldn’t be a problem in California, but having a big gap where the stem meets the bars just might be a pain in the arse in Scotland.

Mud? Water? Salt spray? Come on in!

Any suggestions for an effective way to plug up the hole (bonus points for aesthetic solutions)

Was going cheap on CRC

Joe

This is pretty normal on alot of stems…it’s fine although i can’t see the bottom bolts…you top ones should be done up greater than the bottom ones.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Black silicone bath sealer from B&Q.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

whats actually gonna happen to it??? shouldn’t think its in a position to collect a lot of mud, its probably alu, so won’t corrode…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

If shite gets in the hole it’ll accumulate against the steerer tube and seep down into the headset bearings.

Joe – normally I’d have top and bottom bolts done up equally but this stem has a hook which holds the bottom of the faceplate brackets flush against the stem body hence the big gap at the top. (Not sure that makes sense…)

I’ll try the silicon sealant.

njee20
    Free Member

You could buy a New Ultimate stem off me, weighs less and has no gaps 🙂

I really wouldn’t let it bother you, I had one of those for a couple of years, and was never aware of a lot of crap getting in!

WTF
    Free Member

FYI Aluminium corrodes.

HTH

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i never had a gap that big on my ritchey wcs…

found top and bottom even.

as for corrosion, yes alu corrodes, but nothing will really happen in that situation. thats worth worrying about

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ritchey stem – design flaw?’ is closed to new replies.