Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • RIP swampthing
  • mojo5pro
    Free Member

Real shame about the swampthing being discontinued 😥 .I thought it was a great winter tyre.

stevepitch
    Free Member

hasnt this already been done 😉 😥

shame tho

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Has it? I’m too distressed to function right!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

this is madness!

Is there a replacement? Where is this reported?

kudos100
    Free Member

Eh? I can’t imagine maxxis would get rid of such a popular tyre without a replacement?

GW
    Free Member

Who cares? swampthings are shit.
    Kudos – no need to imagine anything, maxxis have discontinued plenty other popular tyres in the past.

Northwind

Does seem a bit weird they haven’t brought in a replacement though.

Does this mean the 2 2.5 dualplies I’ve got in the garage that I used once and decided never to use again will become priceless?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Nextdaytyres mentioned it in their recent newsletter and the maxxis tech who posts on MTBR announced it a few months back. I don’t think it’s as popular elsewhere as it is in the UK.

kudos100
    Free Member

Yes, they are slightly retarded. Tried to find a folding supertacky, no luck as it has been discontinued.

Care to recommend another tyre, rather than doing your usual, ‘it’s shit’ routine.

bruneep

Got a pair of swampies S/T in shed if you are interested.

Northwind

Might be time to get onto Specialized and tell them to make an SX or trail carcass Hillbilly…

kudos100
    Free Member

I have one if it is 2.35 and going dirt cheap 😉

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Think I’m going to try the Baron(black chili)when I replace my swampies. 2.5 Der baron upfront and a 2.3 Baron out back. They are expensive but all decent sticky tyres seem to be now!
    I remember when 2.5 ST minions/swampy’s could be had for £22 😀

GW
    Free Member

that question aimed at me kudos?
    I ride 60a dry conditions tyres all year round, my only recommendation would be for you to try doing the same. (unless you’re racing)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I recently put a 60a DP Swampthing on the back of XC bike (@26psi) to get some better traction when pedalling. It’s working really well, the extra effort to ride the tall knobs is more than offset by grip when putting power down. Road climbing is a little slower, but you can’t have everything. You can keep your tacky rubber tyres – like dragging an anchor. 😆

lovetoride
    Free Member

swampthings are awesome tyres despite what GW says

float
    Free Member

I ride 60a dry conditions tyres all year round, my only recommendation would be for you to try doing the same. (unless you’re racing)

oh ye, cus the conditions where everyone rides are the same as yours 🙄 one of the most noticeable improvements you can make on a bike is putting the right tyres on for the conditions. you dont have to be racing to notice that one tyre is finding grip in mud where another would become a slick after one revolution.

gamo
    Free Member

He’s right they are proper sh_te.

kudos100
    Free Member

that question aimed at me kudos?

Point is, you are an experienced rider who regularly spouts shite about MTB bits without recommending anything else. I don’t need you recommendation, but some might benefit from it.

Mugboo

Using 60a swampys up front for the first time this winter. Compared to the 60a high rollers they are brilliant on steep, slippery descents.
    Don’t really care about the back 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Swampthings shed mud better than my High Rollers and far better than any other tyre Ive tried.They grip better too and where I ride you wouldn’t make it up half the climbs with a dry conditions tyre-seen many try and fail with these sort of tyres which are often specced on new bikes.

coastkid
    Free Member

Kinda agree with GW 🙂
    High rollers or Minnions are fine in mud (unless racing as said).
    For trail riding i have always been against any type of mud tyre due to the damage they cause to natural trails,
    At the end of the day they cut into the ground to grip, no one can argue they don`t do that, just look at some trails here in the Pentlands, or other peat based hills, Unfortuantly some folk do not seem to care about that to have zero slip and max grip,

Also you can`t beat a bit out of control 2 wheel slides to raise a smile riding in wet conditions 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I’ve had GW telling me I was mistaken when I have extolled the virtues of Swampies before. Basically I don’t think there is a better tyre for the wet slippy rooty trails round here at winter. I don’t care if that isn’t what they were designed for, they just work. The best thing though, is when the snow comes. They kick ass in that. I will miss Swampies but it won’t be for a long while yet, I have a wee stock. PS, I have a wee stock because I’m sure they said this 2 years ago!

GW
    Free Member

you mean a shit pile, not a wee stock 😉

devs
    Free Member

Hmmmm, it might actually be time to get them out seeing as the dust has finally gone for the year now.

cheez0
    Free Member

For trail riding i have always been against any type of mud tyre due to the damage they cause to natural trails

bull, mud tyres roll right on through only leaving a neat knobbly pattern, non-mud tyres slip, slide, spin and plough, churning up the goo.

the only way a mud tyre will shred a trail is if you spin it up ala motorbike stylee.

GW
    Free Member

Actually, you’re both wrong

AJames
    Free Member

Just fitted them for the first time, don’t usually bother with ‘winter’ tyres. OMG they are fantastic! Nothing magical, don’t chew up the trail… it’s muddy, we leave tracks! But I can ride my local trails at summer speed not winter standoffishness if you see what I mean. Tougher on the road and to climb? Yea, that’s better for my winter fitness regime!

They don’t make me a better rider, just take my winter skills to a different level.

scottidog
    Free Member

I have 42a swampies for dh and they’re infinitely better than minions as soon as there’s a layer of mud on the track. If there’s a deep layer it’s spikes. GW talks bollox!

Northwind

Thing about mud tyres and erosion, is that people are more likely to go and ride through a swampy bit of trail if they have mud tyres, they’re more likely to avoid it if they don’t. I never have mud tyres on my XC bike outside of snow time, because I just don’t ride the local trails that would need mud tyres, I leave them be.

float
    Free Member

Actually, you’re both wrong

FFS! you sir, are a brilliant troll.

hora
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know if theres a tyre inbetween the Ardent and the Swampthing (both faves). No I really don’t like the Advantage.

scruff
    Free Member

I also have 42a swampies for dh and they’re better than minions as soon as its wet on my local stuff. GW often talks bollox, but I still like him.

kaesae
    Free Member

😆

toons
    Free Member

@hora conti baron

hora
    Free Member

Scurries away for a look

Speeder

Swamps have never been a fashionable tyre and this was enforced by the fact the Sam Hill never used them – he’d always prefer a cut Wet Scream and therefore they get labelled as sh!t by all the cool kids and everyone is embarrassed to use them.

The fact that a 10 times World Champion quite rates them and they’re a great tyre in super dusty conditions seems to have passed everyone by.

Dirt quite liked them in their latest tyre test.

alfabus
    Free Member

toons – Member

@hora
    conti baron

How does the 2.3 Baron size up (compared to say, a 2.35 High Roller)?

A 6 ply ‘Der Baron’ seems a bit overkill for my uses, but I don’t want a skinny little thing.

Dave

hora
    Free Member

Due to lack of decent bike skill I’ve always grabbed the front brake at the wrong times. Swampy’s have been the tyre that have saved my ass doing this. Terrible in soft earth conditions though- jesus its like riding through quick sand….waay too grippy there.

Winter – low temps etc etc, etc they really come into their own.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I love my Swamp Things. We have lots of roots around here and the ground is quite stoney (no rocks tho) and in the local woods there are usually large areas of deep mud, so in the past I have used a 42a swampy on the back with a 60a HR on the front. This winter I am riding faster and I am finding the HR is pushing wide for the first time so have just got a 42a swampy for the front. Yes the climbs will be harder but in a way they will also be easier than they are with my Larsons on, because the swampys will find whatever grip there is to find. The DHs will be great as there will be less to worry about over the rooty corners.

Swamp Things work here really well just because they don’t work for you or your style of riding it doesn’t make them shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘RIP swampthing’ is closed to new replies.