Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Dangerous roads + inexperienced cyclists
  • AlasdairMc

My wife's company have decided to have a sponsored cycle, they're doing a relay from Inverness to the South coast via each of their offices. The idea is to get as many of their employees into it as possible from across the country.

I had a look today at the planned route, and the Inverness to Glasgow section goes straight down the A82 from Fort William. I personally reckon that route is crazy, that road is fast when you're driving it and worse when riding it. The Edinburgh to Newcastle route goes down the A7, again I feel that better routes exist.

Two things – does everyone agree that it's a bit much for newbies, and what alternatives exist? I was considering the Sustrans all the way, or is there another better and quieter way that is still close enough to a road so they can meet support teams and swap riders every so often?

al

PS: the route from Inverness to Newcastle must be doable in four days by a relay team of relative newbies.

druidh
    Free Member

I fink we're sponsoring that…..

The A7 doesn't go to Newcastle either……

AlasdairMc

Are you – they're a recruitment company?

A7 then East towards Coldstream I believe

druidh
    Free Member

YGPM

Edit: Ah – not the same group then. Another company has the same idea….

kennyp
    Free Member

You're right, the A82 would be a daft road for anyone to cycle on, experienced or not. There's a National Cycle Network route goes all the way from Inverness to Perth is there not? Follows the A9 most of the way.

And does the A7 not run from Edinburgh to Carlisle?

AlasdairMc

Have you seen what the other lot's route looks like? Any better?

I reckon the ride through Glencoe then down Loch Lomond is a bit mad if it's road based.

AlasdairMc

kennyp – I was thinking Sustrans to Dunkeld and then past Loch Tay and over that way to Glasgow as it's relatively quiet.

The other part definitely starts on the A7, then follows another A road to Newcastle. Obviously not the A7 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

The Sports Relief team did the A82.

AlasdairMc

ah, that'll be where they got their inspiration. However, they were able to slow down traffic because they're famous and raised millions…

samuri
    Free Member

You could suggest new routes…..

We've done exactly the same, inverness to London via as many of our offices as we could and it was great. Most of us were experienced though and the guy who mapped it out spent weeks finding all the sustrans and quiet routes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about A9 to Stirling then across to glasgow? Pick up the canal in Falkirk A0 has a sustrans route along it but I don't know how far south ad I can't get the sutrans site to work.

Edinburgh Newcastle maybe the A68 but that is both hilly and fast cars

What order and where are the offices?

I think you are right BTW about routes – Sustrans route are what they should be aiming at I think. Far nicer anyway

kennyp
    Free Member

To be honest I'm no expert on the Sustrans routes, other than to say they sound a better option for this sort of event. Only downsides are that they don't tend to be the most direct routes, and some of the signposting is a bit iffy. Minor complaints though.

From Perth there are various small roads lead south to Edinburgh, then there are some other nice, quiet roads leading south eg the back road into down to Innerleithen, then from there down towards Moffat or Hawick (I'd have to look at a map to see where to after that). I think there's a Sustrans route heads down from Edinburgh to newcastle too.

AlasdairMc

NCN 1 leads down to Newcastle.

They've got to do Inverness, Glasgow, Livingston and Edinburgh before Newcastle, and I believe they've been given five days all in for it. It's looking like around 320 miles, which is easily done if everyone is fit enough for perhaps 20 miles.

kennyp
    Free Member

The other part definitely starts on the A7, then follows another A road to Newcastle

There's a lovely route from Edinburgh to Berwick that goes out through Gifford, over the Lammermuirs and down towards Duns. Not sure after that, but Newcastle isn't that much further, and there must be plenty quiet roads. The climb out of Gifford is "fun", but other than that even fairly inexperienced riders should be okay, and the roads are all pretty quiet.

AlasdairMc

I like the look of that Gifford route, 3000ft ascent over 56 miles isn't too bad – I may try it myself just to make sure it's suitable 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

KI wouldn't hesitate to ride the A82, but I'm not sure I'd put inexperienced/slow cyclists on it.

kennyp
    Free Member

I like the look of that Gifford route, 3000ft ascent over 56 miles isn't too bad – I may try it myself just to make sure it's suitable

The section between Edinburgh and Duns is ideal for just about any cyclist if they are doing it in a relay. The climb out of Gifford is quite tough, but after that you're downhill just about the whole way to the border, and the roads are quiet too. Not sure about continuing on to Newcastle as we normally head to Berwick and the pub, but there must be a decent way.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Dangerous roads + inexperienced cyclists’ is closed to new replies.