Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding near Eskdale
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’m off to Eskdale in the Lake District for a short break soon. I’ve never ridden anywhere in that area so would welcome any recommended loops. I’d prefer to start and finish in Eskdale if poss. I’ll have a Garmin 810 with maps so I would be grateful if anyone has any GPX files that I could steal. Any distance or elevation.

Thanks

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone from the morning crowd?

thejesmonddingo

A few years back,we stayed at Fisherground campsite,went over through Miterdale forest,down into Wasdale,a pint in the pub at Wasdale head,and back over by Burnmoor tarn and a cracking descent into Boot,a couple more beers in Boot, and back down to Fisherground.There’s tons of good stuff round there.

senorj

I havent done it for a few years… but you have to do the bway from Wasdale via Burnmoor tarn.Do it both ways…Pint and back. 🙂
    There’s also fairly nasty grassy climb up that starts near pickle coppice/river Mite.Some nice singletrack down to the tarn.

postierich
    Free Member
    r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Rich, what’s that descent like at the 8 mile mark?

fatharrywhite
    Free Member

Ive done Postierich’s ride the opposite way round, the descent at 8 miles is much better through miterdale forest, from the bottom of there as senor j said, if you have time head up the bridleway past low place, bakerstead,(bit of a slog) tongue moor to burnmoor tarn then rip back down to boot.

postierich
    Free Member

When we were going up through Miterdale forest we said this would be a hoot coming down! the descent down to the Lake was good but lots of hidden holes to send you over the bars!

windowshopper
    Free Member

Did this ride about 13 years ago (gulp!) but starting in Santon Bridge (just west of this route) where there’s another great camp site (The Old Post Office) with a fab pub next to it (The Bridge Inn). Great route, great memories plus it’s a beautiful (and less visited) part of the Lake District.

Sven

Go from Boot up the bridleway to Burnmoor tarn but don’t head over to Wasdale, instead turn left into Miterdale at the tarn. Either go around the tarn on the boggy bridleway, or turn left before the tarn on some nice singletrack past a derelict house, and pick up the bridleway (really only a sheep track) on the opposite hillside. The downhill (on what is according to the maps a bridleway, but very narrow) through upper Miterdale is one of the best in the Lakes, very exposed, and just a narrow track. Stay right when you come near a fence, over a Meadow and down to the only house/farm in Miterdale. A few hundred yards after riding through that farm, stay right onto the small bridleway to sample the best bridleways/tracks of Miterdale forest, and head for the road once you had enough. Takes two hours, if you want more, head over Irton Fell into Wasdale, and climb back up to Burnmoor Tarn from Wasdale head.

rooster42
    Free Member

Here’s a less miles route but with more climbing (= more descending), your choice 🙂

https://www.strava.com/activities/87320767

Although on reflection it looks like I forgot to switch on my Garmin for the first half a mile 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Eskdale’ is closed to new replies.