Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in Devon/Cornwall – ideas please
  • Special_ized_Jamie

My mate is moving to NZ in a few months so we have agreed to have one more big weekend riding. We gave him the choice of the UK to choose a venue and he has gone for Devon/Cornwall.

A few of us have limited experience of the Quantocks but is there anything else down there worth a look. Personally i was a bit gutted as I was hoping for another trip to CYB or 7Stanes but its his choice so whats down that way?

ta

jonb
    Free Member

Plenty on Dartmoor and Exmoor. Wait for Knottie and co to reply.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Quantocks is Somerset, no?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dartmoor and Exmoor are OK but for trails per square mile the Quantocks take some beating.

Dibbs
    Free Member

And most of the “good” Exmoor trails are in Somerset.

el_creedo
    Free Member

Dartmoor kills the Q’s and Exmoor if you know where to go.

I reckon it depends on your riding preference – if you like escaping, feeling way out of it and don’t mind slogging up/along some tough terrain to get to the best bits and best views, it’s got to be Dartmoor. The surefire bet on Dartmoor is the MBR infamous kilelr loop around manaton etc, but i prefer to get a bit further off the beaten track personally (less ramblers to clash with!).

If you want non-stop trails that you can blast almost all of, followed by a gallon of rough cider – it’s the Q’s (but please do remember – as the guys above say, thats Zummerzet).
    Exmoor’s ok, but limited comparitively.

Cornwall – is a tricky one! I don’t know of any great spots. No doubt you could hack Bodmin moor, or be cheeky and ride some of the nice coastal paths – but other than that, no idea where you could even start!
    Someone must know – Camel trail?! lol.

trailmonkey

Not much legal in Cornwall. Bound to be lots of cheeky if you can get someone to show you. Dartmoor’s the best option in Devon. A bit of everything really. Best of it tends to be rocky, technical, often quite nadgery stuff. Quantocks is tops for fast, flowy singletrack. Nothing massively technical, unless you go searching for the cheeky stuff but tremendous fun all the same. Never really enjoyed Exmoor but others seem to rate it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You could go and spend a day at the new downhill tracks at Gawton. By all accounts they are blinding, with a variety of tracks ranging from simple and very fast to slower and highly technical.

Special_ized_Jamie

Thanks all, my thoughts were on the Q’s when he mentioned thats where he wanted to ride. It will be in the summer so hopefully will be nice a dry everywhere! A coastal ride does sound great, but always hard to find a circular route I find.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I live in Bovey Tracey and ride Dartmoor most of the time – loads of nice footpaths but not legally ridable so obviously I only walk on those. Killer loop is good esp on a nice sunny day and dry under tyre but have a look on the threads under dartmoor rides there have been quite a few recently – Exmoor is also nice – fairly sandy tracks and a nice mix of forest and moorland – and quantocks got loads or tracks in a rel small area to exploer 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Devon/Cornwall – ideas please’ is closed to new replies.