Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Riding in Chamonix in July
  • theginjaninja
    Free Member

I see from the Chamonix site that riding is restricted in July and August due to walkers.

Still lots to do there? Anyone got any suggestions for good trails? Staying in Argentierre.

Thanks.

Shandy
    Free Member

There have been a few threads recently which you could search back for. I'll be kicking about and am happy to show you some trails or mark a map.

Jerome
    Free Member

Got trabsport ?
    Get yourself over to Morzine / Les Gets which are much more geared up for riding..

freeridenick
    Free Member

"more geared up for riding"

thats the whole point of Chamonix – keeps the sheep away. Much better riding in Cham – and plenty still in August and July.

Gooner
    Free Member

got back yesterday from cham and it was awesome.
    You are right there are restrictions from 3rd july but still plenty to ride.
    The Argentiere lift will be open (I think it opened last friday)but there are the downhill courses just up the valley at Vallorcine (that lift will be open too) and the new d/h cousre at flegere and the d/h course down the valley at Les Houches
    there is also a great little ride fron le tour over to Trient and Le Chatelard in Switzerland.
    There is also loads at Brevant but I am not sure what will be open in July – you can always ask in Zero G bike shop
    these are all easily accessed from Agrentiere by train if you don't have a car.
    The only hassle we had from walkers were, of course, English walkers even though we only rode (most of the time) the VTT trails – "they be shared trails but in England footpaths are for walkers only etc"
    If you have memory map i have all the routes if you want to see them.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Thanks all!

"Proper riding" – Well so long as they're trails and they point downhill that'd be lovely. More interested in singletrack than all out DH. Riding a hardtail this year anyway.

jedi

i'll be out there 20th august for a long weekend of riding and mbc! 🙂

wl
    Free Member

I hear Chamonix is almost as good as Verbier.

jedi

chamonix is my fave place to ride outside of herts shore

wl
    Free Member

Try Verbier sometime, it's next door. You'll need a guide though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like I'll be out there for 2 weeks at the end of june (20th) next year. I won a two week language course there. Learn in the mornings and ride in the afternoons. Should make an interesting change from PdS.

Gooner
    Free Member

if you buy a multi pass for the lift you can use it to go up the Aiguille du midi this year (not with bikes though) which is well worth the trip

jedi

i know both bikeverbier guides 🙂

Gooner
    Free Member

onzadog, we'll be out there last week in june 2011 so your welcome to join us for a ride or two.
    email me nearer the time

moonboy
    Free Member

there's tonnes and tonnes of riding in Cham (and thats just the stuff i managed to find by bimbling around).

Lived there for 2 summers though sadly now rejoined the 'real world.' There is plenty of riding in Le Tour, Argentiere, Flegere, Les Houches etc etc. (there is also some pretty mental stuff at Brevent and some really fun bits in the bois du bouchet on the valley floor)

It is quite, err, how can i put it. umm 'relentless' – nearly every bit rooty or rocky or offcamber or for my lessthangodlike skills just plain difficult! I love riding in Cham and will be over for a few days in July but it is quite hard to get some flow on compared to say riding the PdS, Pila or Crans etc. You will have a ball though and there are a couple of facebook groups to tap into local knowledge. Or you could just prop up the MBC or the Monkey bar one evening for hookups the next day!

the new stuff at the back of Le tour is really fun and i think there might be a new trail up at flegere, dont know for sure though.

moon

moonboy
    Free Member

some fots…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ginja – get the Tom Wilson North Book.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33195

A good hardtail ride would be the one down to Trient in Switzerland and get the train back. its in the book.

wl – Chamonix and Verbier just as good as each other….

wl
    Free Member

The crew at Bike Verbier are defo the ones to contact – no one knows the region like them, and most of the best trails are away from the bowl. Know them well enough to drop in on them? If so, I'd do it if you're anywhere near there.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Balls! That book isn't due in stock til the 5th! Leaving on the 3rd. Amazon out of stock.

Off book hunting.

moonboy
    Free Member

yep the Trient route is good, there is also a longer ride to Martigny via Finhaut, then take the train back to the border, then ride back over the col de montets into the valley

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Zero G bike shop have a load of the books in stock so all good! 😀

forgotmename
    Free Member

I got back yesterday too, after nearly 1 whole day of staying on my bike and 4 shite days hobbling around after coming off at 2.30pm on the first @£$%in day. So il be out there again in a couple of weeks to use my lift pass up, prob 16th-18th or following week depending on recovery rate, also out there 14th -22nd aug, with wife n dog and bike, of course.
    I feel a Belachat coming on Tone!

Gooner
    Free Member

forgotmename, could you email me please – my addy is in my profile

theginjaninja, i have a copy of the book you can borrow if you want – it's €15 in Zero G

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Thanks Gooner but will probably buy it. Will be back I'm sure!

jedi

gaz, what happened??

NZCol

Out there from august 20th although will only stay in Cham a couple of days then head to interlaken (dropping bike cases off there)…but back for a week 18th September. Appreciate tips forceidea from les houches – xc stuff scenic meandering all good

jedi

nzcol, look out for me/my lot and come with us for a ride

freeridenick
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can take your bike on the funicular up to the Emosson Dam/Reservoir?

forgotmename
    Free Member

Howdo Tony, i fell off following Tom on charmiliion, going too fast for an old guy, went to hospital and was told it was just hematoma, not broken, although it felt like it was broke to me, i should of learned to take it easy on 1st day, il be going back in a couple of weeks to make up for it.Who are you out with in august?

NZCol

jedi – i've seen your riding and you do things like get your wheels off the ground ! I'll be on a orange Tallboy.

jedi

paul and the rest 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hopefully see you there then,then.

Inzane
    Free Member

mmm i remember Cham riding, and I remember loving it a lot back in 2002 when I was guiding at MBMB for a season. I think I even remember Jedi and crew 😉

Must get back over that way. Damn keen to ride at Verbier. Hmmm I wonder if i could swing that for next year. Would July be the best time to hit it up?

ratswithwings
    Free Member

I generally snowboard in Chamonix but I'm psyched to go and bike there sometime. I've heard good things about the tracks above Argentiere.

Just come back from Interlaken. Sweet over there. Went up the valley towards Grindelwald and Lautenbrunnen. Did some great tracks in that area.

jedi

inzane, is that zane??? if it is high 5! 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hi to Zane too,i was with Tony n crew that year, pretty sure u had a broken wrist or something when we were there, which was a shame as diamond rated you highly, what you up to now?

Inzane
    Free Member

Tis Zane here.

High five!

Yes I think I had my wrist in plaster when you boys were there.

I am back in NZ, working a real job so I can afford shiny bikes and bits. I also do skills coaching for this crowd http://www.mtbskillsclinics.co.nz/ and I somehow manage to get out and ride my bike a bit too. There is some fantastic riding here in the South Island of NZ, as long as you are willing to do a bit of walking to get to the top.

Rides like:
    http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/croesus-blackball-to-bazvegas/
    http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/awesome-autumn-hike-a-bike/
    http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/last-of-the-summer-mountain-biking/

The riding is good here, but i am keen as anything to get some riding in the Alps again. Especially seeing as there is snow on most of the good riding here in the south at the moment.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hi Zane, nice pics and stories well told, if you do decide to hit the alps again please get in touch, as i go and see Phil a few times each season.

Inzane
    Free Member

Yeh if I am heading over I will be in touch for sure. Always good to get some advice on where to find the best bits of singletrack 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Chamonix in July’ is closed to new replies.