Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding around Oslo
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We're planning on doing a trip to ride around Oslo this summer. I was wondering if anyone had any tips- we'll all be on 6" all mountain type bikes and don't mind riding up hills, but I hear you can catch a train to the top of some good riding spots?

Where is good to stay close to the riding that won't mind bikes- are there chalet type things available? We'd prefer not to go to a hotel to keep costs low, and I don't like camping.

Also, who's cheapest to fly with from either Edinburgh or Yorkshire/Manch/Liverpool? I assume Ryanair, but if there's anyone even vaguely within our budget that isn't them we'd go for it.

Thanks.

tangent
    Free Member

http://terrengsykkel.no/

the locals use this forum , go to bit called "utflukt" to arrange regualr rides , that'd be the best way to get some friendly riders to show you around , or join a group ride etc.

dunno about the transport or accom bit…but it's true about the uplift train! (insane) 😮

slugwash
    Free Member

Dunno much about riding the trails around Oslo 'cos I've only skied them, but there are miles and miles of them, just a bike friendly metro ride away from central Oslo. A week long travel card valid on all buses trains and boats cost about £18 when I was last there about ten months ago.

I believe Norwegian budget airline http://www.norwegian.com/en/ fly from Edinburgh and actually into Oslo Gardermoen Airport which is about a cheapish half hour train ride away from the city. Ryan Air fly to a tiny airport 100 odd miles away which Involves a 90 minute coach ride into Oslo, and I dunno if the coach is particularly bike friendly but I doubt it. HTH.

pjd
    Free Member

flights

from edinburgh, better choice of flights, not to expensive, actually pretty cheap if you get in early and fly to Oslo proper.

not sure about the riding round oslo (it ain't too hilly) but using a train you should have plenty of choice. But unless you need to be in Oslo would suggest getting the train up to and staying around Lillehammer.

trains

you should also be able to get cabins up there no prob, though doubt it will keep costs down.

bikepark

june or july actually it's august there is also a mega race about lillehammer 90 or 100km in a straight line pretty much, think about 12,000 folk enter but sells out reet quick. Can't remember the name though

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Brilliant, this looks good. Where would be best to stay for the riding then? Ideally using this uplift train?

Alternatively, lillehammer looks good. Is it easy to get to compared to Oslo? I assume you fly to Oslo then go up from there.

IA

"keeping costs low" and "going to Oslo" is a bit of an oxymoron in my experience! Though walking in the hills round there I was wishing for my bike, endless rooty singletrack!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Yeah, we're aware that food and so on isn't going to be cheap.

pjd- thanks for the Hafjell suggestions, I think we'll do that now I've looked into it properly and it looks like better riding and a cost about the same as a usual morzine trip for 6 days riding with 4 days lift pass.

Cheers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding around Oslo’ is closed to new replies.