Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Reynolds 853 frame
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

Anyone got a hard tail made from Reynolds 853 tubing i no there are a few out there?
    Thinking of getting rid of my Cove Handjob for one (Any Pictures).

cynic-al
    Free Member

No…but a HJ is decent Columbus steel IIRC?, so any 853 HT may not ride that much better…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a Sanderson in 853, feels awesome, but then again I’ve not tried it back to back with its Cr-Mo equivalent.

ton

owned 3 differant 853 frames.
    to be honest they did not feel any differant to other steel frames.

that might have been down to the rider tho.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rocklobster in 853, very nice indeed and not too pricy

clubber
    Free Member

I do. I wouldn’t worry too much about the 853 sticker as it really isn’t a good way to spot a good frame as frames made of the same tubes can ride very differently depending on the actual design.

Northwind

I’ve got a Soul… Cotic use the material well to make a seriously lightweight steel frame but 853 by itself doesn’t make a bike any better than a cromo equivalent. Don’t get overexcited about material.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve got a custom built Orange R8, and no, you can’t have a go. It’s mine!

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I’ve got an 853 inbred, it’s a bit lighter than a normal one and has a sticker on, I like it…but I dunno if it’s actually better

bigbob38
    Free Member

Pace??? not got one but a mate has and it looks niiiiiiiiiiice 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

ton – Member

owned 3 differant 853 frames.
    to be honest they did not feel any differant to other steel frames.

that might have been down to the rider tho.

Ton, you’ll get shot for that 🙂

takisawa2

I prefer my Inbred to the Soul I had.
    Would love try a Sanderson Life though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My HT must be rubbish, it’s only Reynolds 520 and the other one is Columbus Zonal Steel 😆

4ags4
    Free Member

I wouldn’t disregard frames made with similar tubing from other manufacturers, like True Temper or Columbus – its just as good and would give a wider range to choose from

tonyg2003

How about anyone with a 953 frame? That would seem ideal for mtb-ing? Maybe Reynolds don’t make a suitable tubeset.

I’ve got friends with 953 road frames and they look super bling.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Have an 853 and it’s custom and you can’t borrow it, looking at getting a 953 29er built by a very capable frame builder this year.
    Will be interesting to compare?

speaker2animals

Custom job from 18Bikes?

AJ
    Free Member

must also say 18 bikes too. Mines in the jig right now and i can’t wait to swing a leg over my new dandy horse.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve had plenty of steel frames over the years, and an 853 Sanderson, and my favourite was my On One 456 in good ol’ 4130 – the same material as my first mountain bike from 1992 or thereabouts… make of that what you will.

compositepro
    Free Member

953 currently fiddling with this at the moment…no Reynolds don’t do a suitable off the peg tube set for mtb ….why not just buy a tube set off reynolds go on frame forum and learn how to build a frame….job done your a framebuilder

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just about to build my 3rd. Had a Cotic Simple, then Thorn Raven Enduro, just got an 853 Inbred.
    I love the peace of mind that they’re strong, flxy and light (for a steel frame)

The Thron will shortly be for sale if anyone’s interested. email in profile.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m stunned that no one has referred to the magical ride properties of 853 yet 🙂

It’s the pixie dust, y’see…

a11y

I’ve got a 725 (I think – could be 721? starts with a 7xx anyway) Genesis Altitude and the wife’s got the same frame but in 853, both same size, both same geometry. Can’t notice any difference between how they ride. 853 one is around 150g lighter but don’t notice that either…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Orange R8 pro… lovin it.

ski
    Free Member

RestlessNative – Member

I’ve got an 853 inbred, it’s a bit lighter than a normal one and has a sticker on, I like it…but I dunno if it’s actually better

Owned both the 853 & D76 versions, never noticed any difference tbh.

Anyone done a blind test on both? 😉

grizzpup
    Free Member

I have an 853 dialled alpine bought in 2010, absolutely mint, fully helitaped for sale.

email me in profile for details

cheers

toys19
    Free Member

If you had an 853 frame and a mild steel frame made from the same diameter tubing and exact replicas of each other they would ride, feel and weigh exactly the same. Science Fact.

clubber
    Free Member

but one would be much stronger than the other. SCIENCE FACT 😉

toys19
    Free Member

This might be true, if you can define “stronger” correctly.

clubber
    Free Member

Here you go ( to avoid me being tripped up on a technicality 😉 )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_materials

toys19
    Free Member

Ok you kind of passed…
    I reckon it would be better to say the 853 one, in theory, should be able to take more load before it fails, if you define failure as plastic deformation and not fracture. If you define failure as fracture then it may well be the other way round…

clubber
    Free Member

😉

Plastic deformation is failure IMO (at least for bike components)

Simple elastic only thankyouverymuch!

toys19
    Free Member

yeah me too I was just being a pedant as on here if it isn’t defined clearly then all kinds of misundrestimating goes on. Often even if it is defined clearly people don’t read it and go off on their own anyway ..

Macavity
    Free Member

The Young’s Modulus of steel is approx 205 kN/mm2.
    http://www.corusconstruction.com/en/reference/teaching_resources/architectural_studio_reference/technology/the_nature_of_steel/the_mechanical_properties_of_steel/

Reynolds 853 is steel.
    4130 cromoly is steel.

Even Reynolds 953 has the same Young’s modulus (stiffness) as Reynolds 853, 531, 501, 525 etc.
    http://reynoldstechnology.biz/assets/pdf/rtl_steel_alloys_extract.pdf

http://www.kvastainless.com/bicycles.html#tubing-info

toys19
    Free Member

Exactly, even most stainless steels with pretty large proportions of alloying elements (like 310 stainless with 25% chrome) stiffness is 200 GPa so it only varies by 2% from “normal steels”.

clubber
    Free Member

But the pixie dust (activated by the hidden hologram in the 853 sticker which is aligned with the resonant frequency of the frame) makes is 87.2% better to ride.

toys19
    Free Member

well theoretically there is something in it, because in theory you could design a frame to deflect more without breaking, hence the so called steel comfort thing, although if this is ever done successfully and/or could be detected by the user is a different matter…

clubber
    Free Member

well theoretically there is something in it

yes, of course there is. It’s just the amount of people who really believe that 853 is much better irrespective of the specifics of how it’s used.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah I totally agree.

A good example whould be:

My Cotic BFe has some various reynolds grades in it can’t remember which ones, it does ride very well. To be honest Cy is an ex railway chartered engineer and talk mucho sense, I’m convinced he knows his onions (and I have a low opinion of almost everyone), given that he also doesn’t use flashy steel in some parts of the frame and justifies it, makes me think he has applied high strength steels in the most effective way.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah – I think that’d sum my feelings up about Cy too actually but then it’s not him or really the other designers I’m thinking of – more reviewers and so on who clearly haven’t a clue what they’re writing about but which is then picked up by many who’ll swear blind that there’s a huge difference because of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Reynolds 853 frame’ is closed to new replies.