Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Resting heart rate – time to worry?
  • ta11pau1

Errr,if you’re asleep,how do you know what HR is ?

Well you see there’s these things call fitness watches which have heart rate monitors built into them. 😉 24/7 HR monitoring is very easy these days.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I suffer postural hypotension. Not only does my blood pressure drop when I stand up sometimes, but my heart rate also jumps significantly to counter this

It’s happens more when I am dehydrated, and if my heart rate is particularly low before I stand up

I went to see a cardiologist about it, as I also get a ton of ectopic beats. All of this has happened since I got fit after a lifetime of unhealthy living

Anyway cardiologist scanned my heart and told me it’s structurally sound so absolutely nothing to worry about.

As above, the biggest danger is hurting yourself from falling over if you take a dizzy turn.

thejesmonddingo

So, if you are otherwise well, why are you worried enough about your overnight rate too? I only ask cos I’ve worked in a lot of medical high dependency units, including on nights, and if I felt well, there is no way I’d monitor mine, a my HR if I wake can be quite high, cos I have quite vivid dreams, which is just one of those things.

thejesmonddingo

P.S. you are allowed to take the watch off at night .

susepic

It’s not just the resting heart rate information that is useful. Watches use that alongside beat-to-beat intervals to assess how well you slept, and how that affects your recovery over time. Once it has baselined your stats it tells you whether you can push it or if you should take it easier. Quite useful. After a boozy night it’s interesting to see how poorly I sleep and how my heart rate changes.

Yeah it’s probably nerdy, but worth keeping an eye on as i get older.

There is also the website called crickles that analyses your exercises from Strava, and lets you know where you fall on the arrythmia risk – helping spot issues properly early

ta11pau1

It’s not just the resting heart rate information that is useful. Watches use that alongside beat-to-beat intervals to assess how well you slept, and how that affects your recovery over time. Once it has baselined your stats it tells you whether you can push it or if you should take it easier. Quite useful. After a boozy night it’s interesting to see how poorly I sleep and how my heart rate changes.

Yep the Garmin sleep tracking, body battery, stress, recovery etc are all really good and need the watch to be worn all day, which I have no issues with. Also helps that a vibrating alarm on my wrist is very effective.

24/7 HR monitoring is just another benefit of this. I don’t routinely check my sleeping HR but if my resting HR is up by a fair amount then it’s being affected by stress, health or something else. Funnily enough, I changed jobs just over a week ago and my resting HR has gone back down to my normal 45ish from 55ish, and yes I was stressed out and always juggling about 5 things at once in my old job.

turboferret

I wear my Garmin pretty much full time which has wrist based HR measurement and records 24/7, so I have a lot of data available

tjagain

I know how well I have slept by how I feel in the morning.  That and where I wake up.  That can also be a clue as to how much alcohol I have had.  If there are corpses beside the bed I know its been a bad night

tonyd

I wear my watch at night so when I wake up for a wee I can see what time it is. The fact it measures my HR, sleep patterns, etc is a bonus. Love a bit of data me, but only look at it occasionally – when I see a thread like this for example

asbrooks

54 here, my resting heart rate is around 58, that drops to around 50 when sleeping unless like last night after exercise it remains in the high 60s.

I don’t really know how accurate the sensor is on my forerunner is. I’d never considered using a heart rate monitor before buying the watch, I bought it mostly to record rides (previously done on my iphone).

footflaps

do you get faint when yo stand up?

After exercise definitely, almost blacked out once answering the front door after a hard road ride. Got as far as opening the door, then started sliding down the wall in front a stranger. Recovered before I totally collapsed. He was a bit worried!

jonnyrockymountain

My resting heart rate is around 39-41 and that’s not while I’m asleep, as I charge my I watch when go to bed, ps I’m 51, I’ll leave it on a few nights to see what it says, but I remember only 3/4 year ago it was around 33/34 while I was asleep

BadlyWiredDog

Not sure it’s been mentioned, but RHR also varies considerably depending on your posture – highest standing up, medium sat down, lowest prone, presumably because your heart isn’t having to work as hard overcoming gravity when getting blood to your brain. Mine is currently high 40s stood up first thing in the morning and checking HRV, during long covid it was often double that. I don’t monitor HR while I’m asleep, but logically it’ll be much lower. It’s low 40s just sat down. Mix of genetics, fitness level and stress of all kinds on the body no?

footflaps

during long covid it was often double tha

I had covid a couple of weeks back (I assume Omnicron) – my resting HR didn’t shift a single beat for the 9 days I tested +ve!

Was very suprised, expected to see a small, eg 1-2 bpm, rise – but absolutely nothing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went to see a cardiologist about it, as I also get a ton of ectopic beats. All of this has happened since I got fit after a lifetime of unhealthy living

Try adding electrolytes to whatever you drink during or after riding. This has made mine all but disappear.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Resting heart rate – time to worry?’ is closed to new replies.