Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Replacement of an ipod – that isn’t my phone
  • DickBarton

So, I’ve got a rather old ipod touch and the battery life isn’t lasting long nowadays – about 5 hours on standby and about 1 hour when being used. I tend to go out riding on my own and listen to some music, but I’ve not been able to due to the lack of battery life and I’m kind of missing it – mainly as without the music I’m finding it far too easy to talk myself out of riding stuff.

I figure it is time to replace it but I’ve moved my music from iTunes to YouTube Music, so what portable player is available with a fair chunk of storage that I can sync with my YT Music account to download tunes to it?

I’m not wanting a data connection whilst out riding, I’m happy with a wifi connection in the house to allow me to download music to it.

I’m clearly being rather thick as my google searching turns up apps that play YT Music on my phone (which I’m not wanting to do as I’d prefer to keep the phone for emergency usage whilst biking).

Ta.

a11y

Not quite the same use Rich, but I came close to buying a Sony player last year due to an increasingly problematic iPod Touch which was no longer supported and getting to be a PITA.

In the end I replaced my 4yr old iPhone and bumped my old iPhone 8 into pure music player use. Works for me and – for the moment at least – is still a supported iOS for updates etc so all the music apps work fine.

desperatebicycle

I use an iPod Nano 16gb on the bike. Battery life is excellent on them. Plenty to be found on ebay
    Also have a couple of Classics with upgraded storage and battery.
    Nothing tops em in my view.
    https://www.iflash.xyz/store/

DickBarton

Ta, but I’m not looking to replace with another Apple product – I no longer use iTunes as I’ve moved the music to YouTube Music (gone all Google), so trying to find a portable player solution that isn’t my phone and doesn’t need data that I can sync my music to.

Suspect if I had access to an existing older iphone I could nab that and download the music, but I don’t and don’t fancy buying another apple product…so the hunt is on for an equivalent.

Solid state memory with a bit of ‘waterproof-ness’ (sweat-proof really)…good battery life and a lot of storage space – maybe 64Gb.

robvalentine

Probably best to get a cheapish android phone, and use without sim.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In honesty it sounds like you want a cheap second phone, any old android thing will do what you need if it needs to be WiFi enabled.
    Personally I’d ditch that idea and just transfer to USB or sd if I was only really looking to do the downloading at home and get a purely off line device, if which there are myriad options.

I’m guessing you’re not especially bothered about audio quality but if you are you’re into very not cheap options.

desperatebicycle

Samsung phone with a microSD for storage. It is handy to have a few apps available. I tried it for a bit, but went back to ipods for music. (Postage stamp size Nano 6th gen, I tell ya, best thing ever 😉 )

Jakester
    Free Member

desperatebicycle
    Also have a couple of Classics with upgraded storage and battery.
    Nothing tops em in my view.
    https://www.iflash.xyz/store/

Wow, didn’t know you could do that. I have a classic which I still use, might look into this!

Cougar

I’m really not seeing what your reluctance is to just using your phone. Scared of running the battery down? Chuck an external battery pack in with your tool kit.

CountZero

@Jakester – yeah, been available for quite some time, there used to be an issue with firmware not allowing storage over a certain amount, but I think that’s been overcome now. I’ve got an iPod Classic 160Gb, which works, but my Mac Mini has an issue, and as it’s a 2010 model, no longer supported, so updating with new music is not possible at the moment.

However, I signed up to Apple Music, and I download onto my phone, which has 512Gb, and I’ve now got significantly more music available than I used to have. I’ll be updating my iPhone 11 Pro Max to a 14 later this year, which has 1Tb of storage. As my car has CarPlay, I can link via BT, which is much easier than a hardwired connection, which I only have to do for satnav. Still makes me smile when I’ve been listening to music on my phone, I get into the car, start it up, and it picks up from where it left off.
    😁

DickBarton

Slight concern about battery, slight concern about data usage (and that additional drain on the battery) – my phone is used for various things – health stuff, contacting people, checking in on things…using it for music play is just adding to it and I’d rather have it a separate unit. My phone is chunky and I reckon a portable player is going to be smaller so less bulk sticking out (again, in my quest to eek out battery life, I don’t use BT headphones, so it would be a wired set of headphones).

Aware, this isn’t standard/normal and I’m probably looking for a solution that is 10 years out of date, but there it is.

Second phone thing might work, will see what I’ve got lying around that still has battery life…

Bream
    Free Member

Different idea maybe, but have you considered a Garmin 245 music watch, or a 945 like I have. Makes the perfect training partner, full on trainer device, GPS, maps etc etc and syncs with Spotify. I run with mine connected to Bluetooth inears.

DickBarton

I’ve a Fenix and apparently it’ll take music but not enough and likewise, I don’t have suitable BT headphones, so it will be wired. As said, I’m looking for a solution that is probably 10 years ago but for now…plenty good ideas here so I’ll do some digging and see what I can do.

jekkyl

I asked exactly the same question on here 2 years ago and after recommendations were made I bought a FiiO M5 on amazon. It takes a wee memory card and I’m very pleased with it. The battery life is great and it is small and lightweight. However I see now it is no longer available on amazon.

desperatebicycle

Wow, didn’t know you could do that. I have a classic which I still use, might look into this!

If you go for one (seller is proper helpful and reliable) post here (or DM me) and I’ll link you to the correct “how to take an ipod apart” vid on youtube. There are quite a few and some are dead wrong!

nickc

Was going to suggest a Garmin watch As well. You can load apps onto them to play tunes

edit: I see you think not enough? Mine has playlists on it for hours

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Second phone thing might work, will see what I’ve got lying around that still has battery life…

Aeroplane mode is your friend

Cougar

Slight concern about battery, slight concern about data usage (and that additional drain on the battery) – my phone is used for various things – health stuff, contacting people, checking in on things…using it for music play is just adding to it and I’d rather have it a separate unit. My phone is chunky and I reckon a portable player is going to be smaller so less bulk sticking out (again, in my quest to eek out battery life, I don’t use BT headphones, so it would be a wired set of headphones).

Where are you riding to, the South of France?

Locally stored music won’t use any data, just as it doesn’t use any data right now on your iPod which doesn’t have a data connection. You won’t need to “eek out battery life” on a device which isn’t faulty.

I’m probably looking for a solution that is 10 years out of date

I think you’re worrying about problems that are 10 years out of date.

A phone in a saddlebag / rucksack with an external battery will last (depending on the battery size) somewhere between days and weeks, and won’t need to be sticking out of anything. I get maybe 4-5 hours out of my in-ear bluetooth headphones, and they too could be charged off a battery pack if needed. Play / stop / volume controls are all on the headphones.

Depending on how long you’re out, you might not even need the extra battery.

molgrips
    Free Member

slight concern about data usage

I’m on Amazon music and you can download music to your phone to listen offline. I’d be amazed if other platforms didn’t have this feature.

DickBarton

Nowhere exotic, but I also have a real issue with charging a phone every day…so I don’t as the battery lasts 2! Which also helps explain why I’m not wanting to use the phone.
    Aware it is a very daft concern.

phil5556

Aeroplane mode is your friend

or just set it to not download over mobile data.

twonks

Why not just get a generic Android based portable music player?

There are loads around, most sound good enough and most accept a simple sdcard for increased storage.

Under £100 will get you a nice one.

These type of things.

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/top-5-budget-hd-audio-players

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

or just set it to not download over mobile data.

The advantage of aeroplane mode is people can’t bother you and your battery lasts longer.
    If the op uses an old handset that might be welcome.
    Frankly people not being able to bother me is always welcome.

cookeaa

I’ve not played with YT music, but what file formats can you actually download and transfer to play offline/upload to an mp3 player?

Amazon music downloads work best for me via the phone app, download a playlist, put the phone in flight mode, play downloaded music only. No mobile data used and no need for getting files onto another device.

I don’t quite get why either a powerbank or a second ‘offline phone’ are such a terrible suggestions, whatever you do you end up with another electronic device in your pocket when riding…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I get where you’re coming from, I used to be the same. My phone was for emergency use only and I used a separate music player.

But now I just use the phone in aeroplane mode. Three days of backpacking with wired headphones, playing podcasts and audio books stored on the phone saw the battery just drop to 70‰ That’s on a 4 year old Ulefone Armor rugged phone. I’m playing sounds for around 14hours a day. You can buy the equivalent (Armor x9) for £139. 5000mah battery and 32gb storage but will take SD cards up to 256gb

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Phone all the way and a battery pack if needed.

A phone is so flexible and can so much more besides music !

timmys

As said, I’m looking for a solution that is probably 10 years ago but for now…

That’s fine. The issue is you’re trying to mix it with a current streaming platform (You Tube Music). I’m assuming you can’t download files for use outside of their app with YTM, so you’ve never going to be able to transfer anything to an old player. If you want to use YTM, then I don’t think you’ve got any option other than a device that runs their app (which will allow you to download files for off-line listening).

DickBarton

Agreed a phone is far more flexible, but I’m looking to be riding my bike whilst out for a bike ride. I rarely take photos (unless I’ve actually stopped as I’ve overdone it and I’m about to be very sick!)…so I’m just wanting it to play music.
    Phone gets used for various things but doesn’t really get used whilst out on bike (unless checking blood levels).
    This is just a means of getting music to play for more than 2 hours on a device to replace my iPod Touch – I’m happy to not have the music on my phone (despite everyone else who seems happy to do that) and also happy to used wired headphones…
    Thanks for the link to the mp3 players, I’ll go have a read and see what they are like, but suspect they could be ideal.

funkmasterp

I use my Garmin watch for music whilst out on the bike. Battery lasts ages whilst playing stored music and recording the ride.

I was always a fan of the Creative range of portable music players. Not sure if they are still made though.

nickc

Thing is @DB. You probably won’t be able to download music files from YTM to a portable player. You’re trying to apply an old solution that won’t work.  You may as well bite the bullet and get totally up-to date. It’s annoying but these systems want you to use their services in a particular way, trying to get around that just goes up cul-de-sacs.

The simplest and easiest way is the app on your phone, some blue tooth ear phones and airplane mode.

That’s what it wants you to do, do that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

(and an mp3 player is going to cost more than a small screened cheap/2nd hand android handset that will do what you want)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have an 2004 iPod Mini. It has an “upgraded” solid state storage drive and a new battery. It is small and tough and the battery last well. It is easy to disassemble to do the “upgrades”.

Cougar

I had a quick look and it seems YTM works like Spotify. The free service is ad-supported streaming, the premium service allows you to listen offline.

So assuming you have the premium service, it’s not going to use data. However it is going to rule out traditional “mp3 players” – you’ll need something which can install the app.

Phone gets used for various things but doesn’t really get used whilst out on bike

Might as well stick some music on it then 😁

Why not just try it one day? If it doesn’t work for you, you’ve lost nothing. I genuinely don’t understand what you think you’re gaining by carrying two phones instead of one.

DickBarton

Aye, I’m starting to think I may have to put the wax cylinders way and get the cassette player out from underneath the saddle bag…

I’ve got all my iTunes music on my PC, which was then uploaded to YouTubeMusic when I decided to go all-in with Google. So I suppose for he majority of my listening just now I’ve got the files in a format that can sit on a music player – it would be music that I’m listening to on YouTube Music that I don’t own but stream that I wouldn’t get on the device.

I probably should have had a proper check at what I’ve got and what I’m needing…really not keen on the music on phone so I’ll keep being stubborn and see if there is another way, however, I’ll need to see how I can get the music downloaded and offline from YouTube Music – I sense you are all right and I can’t use them out with the app.

scotroutes

I’ll need to see how I can get the music downloaded and offline from YouTube Music – I sense you are all right and I can’t use them out with the app.

You can download them to wherever you run the app but they are in a proprietary format that can’t be played without the app (not like mp3 etc).

phil5556

If you’re determined to get a second device I’d use another phone and just install YT music on it, then you’ll have access to everything and can choose what to download for offline listening.

(but really I’d do what everyone else is suggesting and use your current phone, get a battery pack in you’re worried about battery life).

phil5556

Or is the touch new enough to run the YT Music app? If so get a new battery put in it.

DickBarton

Hadn’t considered a new battery in iPod (despite it being mentioned further up)…I could do that and that keeps my iTunes library and iPod running.

gingerflash

“I’m looking for a solution that is probably 10 years ago”

I think your concerns might come from perhaps not really understanding or appreciating the modern solutions, as some have explained. Data usage of music stored on your phone is exactly zero. Battery usage would also be low, for playing music through headphones, but you could carry a small powerbank that could recharge your phone several times over.

If you want a 10 year old solution, then i’d suggest buying 10+ year old technology, sim ply replacing what has worn out. I’m sure you’d be able to buy another ipod on ebay. some seem to be refurbished with new batteries. You can also buy off-brand MP3 players for about £10.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Some random musings:

If you move your music from iTunes to YouTube, how does that work?

You own the music that you’ve purchased on iTunes. Will the ownership transfer to YouTube/ Google?

I’ve been surprised to hear that apple will stop making iPods.
    I think their rationale is that people will just use their iPhones to listen to music.

But that’s a big chunk of money/ hardware, just to access your iTunes library.

And an iPhone is not the kind of thing you’d take on a run.

The Apple Watch seems to offer a portable way to listen to your iTunes library, but only 2gb of storage!!!
    2gb of music gets pretty boring, pretty quickly.

I think apple needs to offer an affordable and portable way to access iTunes, otherwise it’s going to lose customers.
    Maybe they plan to ditch itunes? Too expensive to administer?

They had the form factor spot-on with the iPod6 nano. But it was more lucrative to use this design for their watches.

Apple could cram some serious capacity into a new, smallish iPod.
    Until then, there’s a great excuse to re-purpose all those old iPhones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.