• This topic has 47 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by pigl3t.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Repairing dented fork lowers- exhaust pipe expander
  • hooli

Nice one, I’d ride them. Even if they were to crack, I cant see them exploding catastrophically.

Double points for the safety sandals too 😉

rsl1
    Free Member

Are you still checking them for cracks regularly? I’m honestly surprised they’ve gone 10 months without issue. No one in the original response went into the detail but by denting them and then also bending back, you have work hardened the metal. This actually makes it stronger, but with the big disadvantage (when done unintentionally rather than by design) that it makes it more brittle and prone to fatigue cracking and failure. I would strongly recommend regular checks for cracks and personally wouldn’t ride them myself. Even wikipedia agrees “Aluminum
    Devices made from aluminum and its alloys, such as aircraft, must be carefully designed to minimize or evenly distribute flexure, which can lead to work hardening and, in turn, stress cracking, possibly causing catastrophic failure.”

My vote would be to turn them into a lamp and get some replacement lowers to actually ride on…

chakaping
    Free Member

Whereas in the real world, he’s been riding and racing on them for almost a year.

Good work Kimbers. Waste not want not.

singlespeedstu

I’d have no worries riding them.
    Looks like its in a pretty low stress area.
    Near the axle or on the front where the ridge starts for the brace and I’d me more worried.
    If it does start to crack you’ll soon see as the air pressure on full compression will push oil out and make it obvious.

shkoogy
    Free Member

I’m in northern Utah…it looks like Harbor Freight has one for $19.99…I’ll just order one of those or talk to an autobody friend of mine.
    Thanks for guinea pigging this problem!

kimbers

@shkoogy did you have a go?

shkoogy
    Free Member

Unfortunately no. I still need to order the tool. I’ll post here after I do it though

pigl3t
    Free Member

Thanks kimbers for sharing this.
    Got pretty much the same thing happening to me.
    Expander arrives tomorrow together with a Heat Gun. Was wondering if it would be better to heat that up before using the expander? might make it more easy to fix?
    20220717_202927
    20220717_144905

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.